The Student Room Group

My parents will never accept my Moroccan boyfriend. What do I do?

I'm Punjabi and my boyfriend is from Morocco. We have been dating for months now and we were friends for 2 years before. Recently my parents went through my phone and saw our convo. Thankfully it was nothing drastic of a convo.

My mom and dad talked to me today to ask about this and told me that dating is not allowed and this is not our culture. My dad said if there's anything going on then to stop it cuz it will cause family it's reputation. I somehow told them that he's just a friend and nothing else.

We really love each other and wish to get married. His parents are totally okay with this. Obviously I will continue to meet him cuz I can't think about spending my life with anyone else.

Can someone please tell me how to deal with this situation. I know my parents will not accept him so ill have to leave everyone behind if I wish to be with him.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm Punjabi and my boyfriend is from Morocco. We have been dating for months now and we were friends for 2 years before. Recently my parents went through my phone and saw our convo. Thankfully it was nothing drastic of a convo.

My mom and dad talked to me today to ask about this and told me that dating is not allowed and this is not our culture. My dad said if there's anything going on then to stop it cuz it will cause family it's reputation. I somehow told them that he's just a friend and nothing else.

We really love each other and wish to get married. His parents are totally okay with this. Obviously I will continue to meet him cuz I can't think about spending my life with anyone else.

Can someone please tell me how to deal with this situation. I know my parents will not accept him so ill have to leave everyone behind if I wish to be with him.

Hey, Just hold up until you finish your education and get a job and you are responsible for yourself. Then slowly introduce the idea of getting married to you parents and say that you want choose the boy you want. After you have a job and are away from your parents, the will slowly trust you with choosing your spouse.
Not to sound patronising but how old are you?

You can't tell me you value this guy you've been seeing for 2 months more than your parents, enough to 'leave them behind' even if they may be in the wrong.
Reply 3
A Punjabi shouldn't marry with a Moroccan. It's called polluting the bloodline. And tbh, Moroccans aren't really that at top of genes list, less than whites(who are also pretty low). But you should really only marry a Punjabi or those from surrounding provinces.

pussy. why do you need to be anon? do those "top punjabi genes" include being scared of tsr mods?
England is **** anyway, I personally would get the first plane to Delhi.

Already they have matched you with a doctor/engineer is it? From good family?
Original post by marupe
pussy. why do you need to be anon? do those "top punjabi genes" include being scared of tsr mods?

cri cri

It's your life, not your parent's. Don't make yourself unhappy just to make someone else happy. Because if you break up with him and marry some other bloke from your culture, you'll be unhappy. And one day your parents will die, leaving you married to some guy you don't truly love, while the guy you really wanted to be with is off somewhere else.

If your parents can't accept your relationship, that is not your problem. It's theirs. If they want a relationship with their daughter, they will accept you being with him. They don't have to like it, but they should at least accept it.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's your life, not your parent's. Don't make yourself unhappy just to make someone else happy. Because if you break up with him and marry some other bloke from your culture, you'll be unhappy. And one day your parents will die, leaving you married to some guy you don't truly love, while the guy you really wanted to be with is off somewhere else.

If your parents can't accept your relationship, that is not your problem. It's theirs. If they want a relationship with their daughter, they will accept you being with him. They don't have to like it, but they should at least accept it.

That's incorrect. Your parents own you as soon as you're born.
That's incorrect. Your parents own you as soon as you're born.

Until you turn 18. Once you're 18, you're an adult and your parents have no legal responsibility over you. I'm assuming OP is at least 18 because of the situation.
Until you turn 18. Once you're 18, you're an adult and your parents have no legal responsibility over you. I'm assuming OP is at least 18 because of the situation.

Nope. Anyways, a Punjabi shouldn't marry a Moroccan. I mean they're basically Arabs.
Nope. Anyways, a Punjabi shouldn't marry a Moroccan. I mean they're basically Arabs.

Lol yes. Adults can do what they want without permission from their parents. And you can marry whoever you want to, regardless of where you come from.
Lol yes. Adults can do what they want without permission from their parents. And you can marry whoever you want to, regardless of where you come from.

Nope, you can't marry certain people. Why is there a need for a minority to breed outside of their race? Whites never do that
Nope, you can't marry certain people. Why is there a need for a minority to breed outside of their race? Whites never do that

Can you stop acting like a white supremacist under the cover of anon. It is boring and not constructive.
OP, you've been friends for 2 years and dating for a few months.
Yet you say you're ready to spend the rest of your life with this guy, abandon your family and all that comes with it?
There are nice guys of every race. If you value your parents love over this guys love then it would make sense to dump this guy.
Parents love you, they want to get you married to someone good I'm sure.
If you feel ready for marriage anyway why not ask for your parents to seek out proposals and you can meet some of the guys casually or whatever. No one is saying a forced marriage, but an arranged marriage isn't always a bad idea.
In this case, you have a feeling what you're doing is wrong, so it seems like this may be the better path.
Once again, nice, handsome and wealthy guys exist all over. I'm sure your parents can try and find you one, who they approve of too?!
Original post by marupe

:congrats:

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Aloe-Vera-to-Treat-Burns

That's true you can't marry your immediate family or small children, or your own children. However if both you and your partner are 18 or over and in love and want to get married you can. The only thing saying they can't is culture which is not a legal thing. There's no law stopping a person from a minority race marrying someone from another race.
A Punjabi shouldn't marry with a Moroccan. It's called polluting the bloodline. And tbh, Moroccans aren't really that at top of genes list, less than whites(who are also pretty low). But you should really only marry a Punjabi or those from surrounding provinces.

hey, what do you mean whites are also pretty low? Our genes are pretty damn good thank you very much, we're naturally tall, muscular and have straight faces. Our genes are sought after and are beautiful.

Hm, have you never heard of the terms Bleached or Blacked? Some whites do marry outside of the race, how do you think Meghan Markle came to be?

You're so insecure. People can marry who ever they want. Who cares about family reputation or genes? She can marry a Moroccan, Arab, someone White or Black. Being Punjabi doesn't make you superior with your 'bloodline'. Saying that marrying someone else will be polluting it is the most ignorant thing i've heard today.

Ps. A lot of white people do marry outside their race. I'm guessing you're just going of the bases of the U.K where the majority is White especially in White areas, where they'll have White friends..so most likely end up with a White person. In multi-cultural places in London or places like California, the majority of couples are interracial.
Original post by pereira325
Can you stop acting like a white supremacist under the cover of anon. It is boring and not constructive.
OP, you've been friends for 2 years and dating for a few months.
Yet you say you're ready to spend the rest of your life with this guy, abandon your family and all that comes with it?
There are nice guys of every race. If you value your parents love over this guys love then it would make sense to dump this guy.
Parents love you, they want to get you married to someone good I'm sure.
If you feel ready for marriage anyway why not ask for your parents to seek out proposals and you can meet some of the guys casually or whatever. No one is saying a forced marriage, but an arranged marriage isn't always a bad idea.
In this case, you have a feeling what you're doing is wrong, so it seems like this may be the better path.
Once again, nice, handsome and wealthy guys exist all over. I'm sure your parents can try and find you one, who they approve of too?!

I'm not a white supremacist lmao.
That's true you can't marry your immediate family or small children, or your own children. However if both you and your partner are 18 or over and in love and want to get married you can. The only thing saying they can't is culture which is not a legal thing. There's no law stopping a person from a minority race marrying someone from another race.

Parents have full control over their child, and so controls who they marry. There should be a law, Punjabis shouldn't marry other races, and that's final.

n

Quick Reply

Latest