Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im in a tricky position because my course has very high and changing contact hours. I work on saturdays and often into the evening. Money is a bit tight at the moment and I wondered if anyone has any experience of working in call centres. From what I've heared they are quite flexible, signing up your hours a week in advance which would be perfect for me, and I imagine alot of evening and weekend work. I've been looking around for specific companies but some of them look a bit dodgey. Do any of you know of any good companies or websites I can find call centre jobs from? Im in London btw.

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Pell and Bales are a London based call centre and seem to have a high turnover of staff as they seem to permanently have vacancies. Pay's not bad either.

ReputationRep:
    Are you near any bank clearing houses? They always need staff and the hours are flexible 24/7

ReputationRep:
    id apply to work at a bank
    in customer services or maybe something like debt management (like i do)
    pay is great
    and flexible
    id go for banks over other call centres because genrally its a nicer environment
    i knwo people who went to work in cold calling and got fired after 3 weeks because they just werent "good enough"

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. Thats really helpful. How would I go about finding a bank job? I must admit that sounds better than cold calling

ReputationRep:
    search on the internet
    now if you lived in manchester
    id have a job for you now!
    ohwell
    try job agencies
    or on bank websites

ReputationRep:
    I had to sit through a 2 hour lecture on call centres (dont ask). There are always vacancies because they have such high standards. If you dont reach their targets, you will be fired. A high turnover rate (as rottcodd said) is bad because that means people are being fired. Your boss can listen in on any calls any member of staff makes and monitor you without you knowing, and you dont so much choose the hours you work as you are just given them about a week in advance.

It sounds pretty rubbish, theres probably something better out there than call centre work.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    call centres aren't only about cold calling, you get inbound call centres as well. i do psychology and I work 20hrs a week at a call centre. that's 4 hrs every evening. it's the shift that best suits my uni timetable,and they're more than happy for me to change shifts with them as long as i give them enough notice. there's a thread at the top of this section that has a load of websites that you can look through,so have a look at those. have you ever considered your uni's call centre? it'll mostly be people ringing up alumni and asking for donations? it's not cold calling and there's not much pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiee)
    search on the internet
    now if you lived in manchester
    id have a job for you now!
    ohwell
    try job agencies
    or on bank websites
    I live in Manchester!!
    Wheres this job haha?

ReputationRep:
    I work in what people call a call centre but it's not cold callling. It's all inbound calls so much friendlier and not any selling targets to reach. It is flexible and caters for all types, mums, students etc so I'd recommend it

ReputationRep:
    its at the co-op bank
    they're recruiting atm for my team

ReputationRep:
    *Edit - I wish I'd read your original post before writing this, I thought you were asking what it's like to work in a call centre. :p:

I've been working full-time in a call centre for sixteen months now - I've done customer services, sales, retentions and outbound (recovering payment details) for a subscription based sports channel, and currently I'm doing outbound telesales for a major telecommunications company. Businesses outsource to this call centre, which is convenient because I get bored once I'm used to the job and choose to transfer to something different every few months. The basic is not fantastic - £6.40 an hour which equates to £12,480 per annum - but for the last eight months I've been earning £250 - £400 extra in commission each month, so it's actually bumping it up to around £16k which is rather good for Kirkcaldy. Obviously it would be less if you were part-time but you'd still receive commission here. If you can get a sales orientated job, go for that - it pays a lot more than customer services and instead of arguing with intolerable morons, you'll just be attempting to sell to intolerable morons. Try to avoid retentions (cancellations to the customer :p: ) - this is a mix of the worst parts of customer services and sales. It's an entirely fruitless and depressing department.

I'm not going to lie to you - it's a pretty **** line of work. It can be mind-numbingly easy and horrifically stressful at the same time. I can guarantee that you will briefly grow to despise entire groups of people - personally I've dabbled in bigotry over the Welsh, Liverpudlians, Rangers fans and anyone under the ML post code. For some reason Britain is considered a very polite country - trust me, this is entirely unfounded. I've spoken to at least 50,000 people from a vast array of demographics, and you wouldn't believe the ignorance and rudeness I've encountered. The best way to deal with this is to just laugh it off, but there are some people who aren't capable of doing this. From my experience the customer is the main reason for high staff turnover. It takes quite a lot to get sacked - poor attendance is usually the only reason. Bad salesmen just get moved to customer services.

In favour of it though, some call centres pay quite well - due to the commission, I'm earning more than I could if I worked for a bank or even for fife council - and ultimately that's the most important thing to me. I'm actually earning more than I would if I were a team leader here. Most call centres do offer flexible part-time options as well. Go for it, and if you can't bear it then just quit like most people.

ReputationRep:
    i second you on the whole person thing
    i now love the scottish.... the most polite people around
    i cant understand the welsh
    liverpudlians either argue like hell or are really nice and so on

and having also worked in 2 parts
    sort of sales....outbound money collecting..... inbound maaging accounts (not cust serv)
    it is the msot boring thing ever

ReputationRep:
    Thanks foxo - that was really interesting to hear about your experiences. Its pretty grim work - but the pay is good and for my situation I think it would be a good job that I can work around my wierd uni hours. I've been looking around and there are a few places I'l think of applying to. Going to start applying in a few weeks time when im on easter break so I can get to a mid-week interview. Thanks for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a interview for a call centre on tuesday, so im glad there was a topic with people talking about their jobs in call centres

ReputationRep:
    ooo i see you're in cheshire....

where you got the interview for?

ReputationRep:
    yeh foxo summed up most sales jobs i think, you just have to laugh it off as it is only the customers who will get you to quit cos they can be so annoying. and negative people in a sales environment (especially staff) is about the most annoying thing. I did field sales: standing in a shopping centre selling health insurance. I got told to F-Off most weeks, one time this guy told me if i talked to him ever again he'd break my F-ing jaw and c u next tuesday etc etc but you have to laugh through it and its fine. Commission is a goood motivativtor as well :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophierw)
    I had to sit through a 2 hour lecture on call centres (dont ask). There are always vacancies because they have such high standards. If you dont reach their targets, you will be fired. A high turnover rate (as rottcodd said) is bad because that means people are being fired. Your boss can listen in on any calls any member of staff makes and monitor you without you knowing, and you dont so much choose the hours you work as you are just given them about a week in advance.

It sounds pretty rubbish, theres probably something better out there than call centre work.
    At P&B they have a high turnover because people leave not cos they're fired. Also it depends on where you work! Some pay weekly, others monthly, some you book a week in advance, some 2 weeks and others you get told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiee)
    ooo i see you're in cheshire....

where you got the interview for?
    Amanico

ReputationRep:
    ahh amanico
    oh boy have i heard from them

im guessing you're from the same part of cheshire as me,

goodnluck with that one

they have possibly the highest staff turnover i've ever come across, and it's cold calling aswell so lots of abuse.

if you're round the northwich area apply for barclays,
    no phone work and it's 8.22 an hour =]

heres the link http://www.peoplebank.com/pbank/owa/...tCsnaocedcbfdn ...i've just got a job there.... decided commuting to manchester was too much

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.