Turn on thread page Beta

Electric Shavers... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I tend to shave using a Mach 3 and Nivea shaving gel every other day and sometimes everyday but I hate it.. I've tried all sorts of razors from the Fusion, to Quattro, and even DE razors.. I still haven't mastered shaving. I'm 16 years old and started a couple of years ago as I have black hairs which obviously show a lot more than white hairs. At the moment I have to shave upwards to get a relatively close shave.. That way it is fine on my cheeks and most of my face, but the worst parts are my chin and neck. No matter what I do the chin will always still have stubble showing and some areas on my neck do too.

After I have finished shaving my skin doesn't look great.. I have a few spots around face and neck which come and go all the time, not sure if they are down to the shaving or just normal teen hormones, but either way I want to try an electric shaver.

The two top ranges seem to be either the Philips Arcitec (rotary) and the Braun Pulsonic (foil).

Has anyone tried either of the too and if so how would you compare it to wet shaving?

Also please post whether you have "proper" stubble or more soft hairs which aren't like stubble, as obviously you'd get a better shave if you have softer hairs..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The chin & neck are the hardest to shave so you wont get as close as a shave as you will on the rest of the face. My chin always has some stubble after wet shave unless i go over it many times but that will irritate the skin which may cause spots/redness etc.
    I have tired both the rotary and foil electric shavers and prefer the rotary one. I use a cheap phillishave and does the trick. They won't be as close as wet shaving but still close enough.
    I would'nt go wityh the Nivea range btw as they are very overpriced, go with a foam or gel out of the spray can, just as good.

ReputationRep:
    You get a decent enough shave from either, personally I use a rotary, but in the past I've used a foil and had no problems with it. As said above, it isn't as close as a wet shave, but its good enough. And I have stubble, not soft hairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    You get a decent enough shave from either, personally I use a rotary, but in the past I've used a foil and had no problems with it. As said above, it isn't as close as a wet shave, but its good enough. And I have stubble, not soft hairs
    When you say "good enough" you still have hairs showing on face?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I mean you can tell it isn't as close a shave by touching it, but it isn't visible or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I mean you can tell it isn't as close a shave by touching it, but it isn't visible or anything.
    That's alright then. How'd you find rotary/foil for sideburns then?

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I've never had a problem with them. One thing has just occurred to me though, if you happen to shave particularly early in the morning, because it doesn't shave quite as close you can end up with a slight amount of visible growth by later in the day

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I've never had a problem with them. One thing has just occurred to me though, if you happen to shave particularly early in the morning, because it doesn't shave quite as close you can end up with a slight amount of visible growth by later in the day
    That's not a problem. I'm going to try the Braun Pulsonic first as I tried a Philips Nivea Moisturising one a while ago and it was okay on cheeks but not on neck and chin, although I'm not sure how different the Arcitec range is.

By the way do you do any kind of prep before using an electric shaver.. Or is it okay to just have a shower and use on dry skin?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, showering then shaving is absolutely fine, which is why electric shavers are much less hassle than a wet shave

ReputationRep:
    Okay well I just tried my Braun Pulsonic for first time.. I hadn't shaved for a few days and used it as soon as I got home at 5, no prep before... On cheeks and above and under lip it was fine I guess, although just underside burns had difficulty, and still hairs showing there but I might have to do that with a razor.

The neck was better than I expected, much smoother than a razor in most placed, just a few areas that I also have difficult with still have hairs.. I tried the shaver in various directions but still are there, any ideas?

I also somehow managed to get a cut on my neck from shaving with this and it was much deeper than normal razor cuts! I also feel a bit of razor burn which I don't usually after shaving.

What would you recommend for pre and post shave preparation? I have Nivea after shave balm but not sure if that is suitable for after shaving with an electric?

ReputationRep:
    Pre - Take a shower/face with hot water - I think this helps soften the skins, open pores and raises hairs a bit. Either that or if you have any kinda of exfoiliant / face wash this is another good time to use it (the lady at Clinque said to use the Face Scrub before shaving rather than after)

Post - Wet your face with COLD WATER - it helps close pores and stuff, it generally helps to stop after shave stinging or whatnot then apply moisturiser or after shave balm etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    Pre - Take a shower/face with hot water - I think this helps soften the skins, open pores and raises hairs a bit. Either that or if you have any kinda of exfoiliant / face wash this is another good time to use it (the lady at Clinque said to use the Face Scrub before shaving rather than after)

Post - Wet your face with COLD WATER - it helps close pores and stuff, it generally helps to stop after shave stinging or whatnot then apply moisturiser or after shave balm etc.
    I always thought it's good to use face wash/exfoliant before shaving but in the book it says use the electric shaver BEFORE using face wash?

ReputationRep:
    Gah, god knows - I tend not to do much pre/post stuff if I'm using electric as it's usually a rushed job. If I want to take my time I do a nice wet shave with a Fusion Power thingy..my shaves seem to vary incredibly. Sometimes I get a very close shave on my chin, othertimes, not. But then again my hair is blonde so it's never noticeable

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.