Miss Studious
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So the exam is in less than a month and everytime I attempt to do an a level biology paper the questions either throw me off or I miss out on easy marks because I didn't word an answer exactly as the mark scheme. Does anyone have any advice on this or is anyone experiencing anything similar with biology?
Jaycemarsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I keep on getting 62% for those reasons
luce12341
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeh this is a massive problem with biology that is unlike a lot of the other exams - low grade boundaries BUT ridiculously harsh mark schemes. My best advice is to go through as many mark schemes as you can find and write a list of key words that you need to include in the answers for questions of each topic. Or you could go through every topic and try to write them out as key words. It’s all about the key words
aleexhunt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jaycemarsh)
I keep on getting 62% for those reasons
62% is actually pretty good- for the new papers that puts you at an A (nearly an A*). What I do is go over every past paper question I've done, make a word document and fill it out with all the mistakes that I make that could be easily fixed, eg always saying complementary/specific when talking about enzymes/antibodies. Then read over it before each past paper exam
Good luck
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A common issue which befalls many a student - just look at the grade boundaries for last year:

That's just over two-thirds of the marks for an A*. Half marks will get you a comfortable B. Other exam boards show similar figures.

62% in the context of most exams you'll be used to sounds pretty bad, but in reality it's a comfortable A, coming up to A*. When you're marking past papers, make sure that you look at the grade boundaries to give yourself an accurate picture of how well you did in relation to everybody else.

Enjoy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.18%
No, but I have thought about it (49)
26.92%
No (89)
48.9%

Watched Threads