Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I chose History a while back but now I’m starting to love geography?!?! Helllp has anyone done either at gcse and if so which do they prefer??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do both

ReputationRep:
    I did both, I prefer History.

ReputationRep:
    I can’t because I’m taking dt and Latin aswell. In our school we have to take GERMAN and rs so I only have one free option

ReputationRep:
    i do both: personally think both are incredibly interesting and engaging courses, and their only downfall is the fact that they can be a right pain to revise (although i believe this a) might just be my friends and i or b) is just a humanities thing) but that aside theyre great and most of the students at my school really enjoy them!!! ultimately tho it needs to be your decision and i'd say play to your strengths: which are you naturally better at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivelga)
    i do both: personally think both are incredibly interesting and engaging courses, and their only downfall is the fact that they can be a right pain to revise (although i believe this a) might just be my friends and i or b) is just a humanities thing) but that aside theyre great and most of the students at my school really enjoy them!!! ultimately tho it needs to be your decision and i'd say play to your strengths: which are you naturally better at?
    I’m equally good at both and my teachers are all fighting over which I should take. Out of interest which do u prefer??

ReputationRep:
    If you want do die during revision take geography.
    If you want to die during the exam take History.
    They're both good fun though, it comes down to whether you want to learn how to write an essay, or learn 20 case studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james113)
    If you want do die during revision take geography.
    If you want to die during the exam take History.
    They're both good fun though, it comes down to whether you want to learn how to write an essay, or learn 20 case studies.
    lmaooooo this is so true!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Look at the courses and see what appeals to you more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnowDragonFire)
    I’m equally good at both and my teachers are all fighting over which I should take. Out of interest which do u prefer??
    personally prefer history. i appreciate the fact that you can formulate a very individual and unique response to the material, and although the exam is time pressured tbh it does help me that my best academic strength is writing extended response, would you say the same for yourself??

ReputationRep:
    I’d go for Geo. history is more interesting in lessons but the extra revision time it takes and the ridiculous amount of content is difficult to keep up with for most. The exams are harder too imo.
    Geo can be boring but the new course has no case studies (for me anyway) and is mainly common sense so I’d say it needs less extra revision time and effort. The exams I would say are much easier and have some simple maths in them (eg. Find the average)

ReputationRep:
    If you want to measure the sizes of pebbles to investigate erosion, take geography.

If you want to study something worthwhile, take history.

You may be able to tell which I take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SenorToucan)
    I’d go for Geo. history is more interesting in lessons but the extra revision time it takes and the ridiculous amount of content is difficult to keep up with for most. The exams are harder too imo.
    Geo can be boring but the new course has no case studies (for me anyway) and is mainly common sense so I’d say it needs less extra revision time and effort. The exams I would say are much easier and have some simple maths in them (eg. Find the average)
    I'm on the new course and I have around 10/11 case studies to learn
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I personally liked history GCSE...not so much A level lol. but I can definitely see that Geography A level is more of use to me, geography GCSE though was plain boring and easy.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer history, as its more interesting and easier to remember as its just stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcdvibcs)
    I'm on the new course and I have around 10/11 case studies to learn
    I’m lucky and have none to learn. I’m on the new 9-1 Eduquas spec.

ReputationRep:
    I chose History a while back but now I’m starting to love geography?!?! Helllp has anyone done either at gcse and if so which do they prefer??
    I do geography and in my opinion geography is a lot better. I feel as though the content for history is more interesting but the actual exam is hard for it. The exam is easier for geography because it doesn’t really involve much writing. My friends chose history and they are stressing so much over it whereas in geography most people are scraping good grades with minimum or no revision.

ReputationRep:
    I say take History, it helps with essay writing skills a lot, and you can use that to your advantage if you decide to take less mathematical A-Levels/ a Uni course.
    I took History, and I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolee006)
    I prefer history, as its more interesting and easier to remember as its just stories
    I agree!! History is so much more enjoyable so you just end up remembering the content anyway whereas Geography is a drag!

ReputationRep:
    i do both and this is all i have to say: history makes me cry, just don't do it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.