Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnowDragonFire)
    ?! Like maths
    Of course, it is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    ?! Like maths
    yes, I have studied a few subjects and math is the BEST one i have ever studied. Numbers don't lie and I think that is very true. Math is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 746656

Numbers do not lie.
    (Original post by potatoui)
    yes, I have studied a few subjects and math is the BEST one i have ever studied. Number don't lie and I think that is very true. Math is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    ?! Like maths
    Yes, maths got me to learn how to think logically and also showed me the value of education and why it matters.

ReputationRep:
    I love maths btw everyone commenting !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dabluemini)
    Yes, maths got me to learn how to think logically and also showed me the value of education and why it matters.
    How so?

I enjoy maths because of the sense of satisfaction you get when you complete a difficult problem, but that's pretty much it, so I'm curious to know how it showed you the value of education.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, I do enjoy mathematics. I’m not extremely passionate about it though, I just perform really well academically and understand all the concepts I am being taught. So I enjoy it due to my good results, rather than the actual content. I do not mind the content, but I love being able to do it...if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is my favourite subject since there's a logical method of doing things and there are strict answers. It is literally the study of logic and nothing could be more straightforward yet beautiful at the same time. With other subjects like English or History, whether you're right depends on the opinion of the person marking your paper, whereas in maths, right is right, and wrong is wrong.

Maths is also an ingenious subject and is then only subject which requires rigorous proof and being 100% sure about something. And some of the methods used to prove things in maths are so elegant that it's also clear that maths requires a sense of creativity and thinking outside the box rather than just plugging in numbers.

There's a reason that maths is a respected subject, kids in school who complain that they're never going to use the things they learn in maths lessons don't realise the implicit logical thinking they're developing on the side, which is useful everywhere. A maths degree opens up multiple doors, which just goes to show how maths is relevant and important in everyday life.

To answer your question: yes, I do love maths because even though there are millions of people who are better than me at it, it doesn't stop me from learning about things which are logical in study, but creative and beautiful in nature.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, wouldnt say I love maths but I do like it alot. As some said before me the 'sense of satisfaction you get when you complete a difficult problem' is a great feeling, once you get your head around it, it makes you feel more confident in your analytical skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3pointonefour)
    Maths is my favourite subject since there's a logical method of doing things and there are strict answers. It is literally the study of logic and nothing could be more straightforward yet beautiful at the same time. With other subjects like English or History, whether you're right depends on the opinion of the person marking your paper, whereas in maths, right is right, and wrong is wrong.

Maths is also an ingenious subject and is then only subject which requires rigorous proof and being 100% sure about something. And some of the methods used to prove things in maths are so elegant that it's also clear that maths requires a sense of creativity and thinking outside the box rather than just plugging in numbers.

There's a reason that maths is a respected subject, kids in school who complain that they're never going to use the things they learn in maths lessons don't realise the implicit logical thinking they're developing on the side, which is useful everywhere. A maths degree opens up multiple doors, which just goes to show how maths is relevant and important in everyday life.

To answer your question: yes, I do love maths because even though there are millions of people who are better than me at it, it doesn't stop me from learning about things which are logical in study, but creative and beautiful in nature.
    Totally agree with you. I love the secure certain answers that come alongside such a beautiful subject

ReputationRep:
    not anymore

ReputationRep:
    Originated out of my hatred of essay subjects and some of the more subjective ones, then I realised that it was also fun too. So yeah I like maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it’s not my favourite subject

ReputationRep:
    me and maths are like trump and kim jong un-before they agreed on nuclear weapons

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    *interesting theory*
    Maths is based on the belief that zero exists, but there’s this theory that proves that zero isn’t actually real. Therefore maths is not real. Mindblown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zantar)
    How so?

I enjoy maths because of the sense of satisfaction you get when you complete a difficult problem, but that's pretty much it, so I'm curious to know how it showed you the value of education.
    Why it showed me the value of education?
    Because before year 11 I hated work, I never did it, always did it last minute , not to the quality my teachers are expecting it to be , until I entered in Year 11 and thought "what if I actually tried to use my maths skills in x scenario" , so during one holiday I used some of my skills to solve a real life problem ( it was to do with money and percentages for my family ) and I actually helped out in finding a solution and it made me really happy that I finally was able to make myself useful. It gave me the idea that school or education can lead me away from the path of being a loser, so from then on I wanted to learn as much as I can , leading me to programming as now I code in 6 languages and wanting to learn more. Hope that gives you an idea of why i value and love it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dabluemini)
    Why it showed me the value of education?
    Because before year 11 I hated work, I never did it, always did it last minute , not to the quality my teachers are expecting it to be , until I entered in Year 11 and thought "what if I actually tried to use my maths skills in x scenario" , so during one holiday I used some of my skills to solve a real life problem ( it was to do with money and percentages for my family ) and I actually helped out in finding a solution and it made me really happy that I finally was able to make myself useful. It gave me the idea that school or education can lead me away from the path of being a loser, so from then on I wanted to learn as much as I can , leading me to programming as now I code in 6 languages and wanting to learn more. Hope that gives you an idea of why i value and love it .
    Nice!

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.