WJEC A2 Media Studies MS4 - 4th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Watch this thread
XLittleSparrowX
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey!

I thought since us A2 WJEC students didn't have a thread, I'd create one. Not sure if there's any of us floating here but I thought it would be a good place to just discuss what might come up, what sections and case studies we're doing and maybe help each other during these panicky few weeks!

Feel free to introduce yourselves and just get to know each other. :hi:
jessxxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Anyone have any predictions ?
jessxxo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
anyone doing Whiplash? Or goggle box? if anyone has any notes id be thankful x
nicolebodgersxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Apparently my teacher said it’ll be pointless for predictions as the examining board has to make exam questions less predictable?
Also does anyone have any tips on how to revise? I really cannot seem to learn this subject 😩
XLittleSparrowX
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by nicolebodgersxo)
Apparently my teacher said it’ll be pointless for predictions as the examining board has to make exam questions less predictable?
Also does anyone have any tips on how to revise? I really cannot seem to learn this subject 😩
Depends what type of learner you are but I'm mind mapping, reading the examiner's reports and am gonna annoy my teacher tomorrow with the amount of last-minute questions I'll ask in my revision section.
ykarlxnx
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I've been looking at all the past papers and for section A it's been a few years since they've done just narrative and genre as an option and thats only been done once. So our teacher suggested that you should be prepared for at least one of them for the exam. I'm hoping representation does come though but just in case im studying narrative too~
XLittleSparrowX
Rep:
(Original post by ykarlxnx)
I've been looking at all the past papers and for section A it's been a few years since they've done just narrative and genre as an option and thats only been done once. So our teacher suggested that you should be prepared for at least one of them for the exam. I'm hoping representation does come though but just in case im studying narrative too~
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm doing the same with prep. Genre is probably my worst and rep my best so I'm having narrative on hand just in case.
sendhelp1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
PLEASE HELP ME! anyone studying the following texts ?? I REALLY NEED NOTES!?

Magazines
- The Big Issue
- Good House Keeping
- Heat

TV
- X Factor
- Waking The Dead
- Educating Yorkshire
sendhelp1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
hello,

I need someones advice. I would like to know how many marks i need to achieve in my A2 exam in order to achieve a B overall.

I achieved

- 85 marks in my AS - coursework
- 95 marks in my A2 - course work
- 63 - AS Exam

Thank you !
jessxxo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Its 280 for a B meaning that u need 37 x
(Original post by sendhelp1)
hello,

I need someones advice. I would like to know how many marks i need to achieve in my A2 exam in order to achieve a B overall.

I achieved

- 85 marks in my AS - coursework
- 95 marks in my A2 - course work
- 63 - AS Exam

Thank you !
sendhelp1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jessxxo)
Its 280 for a B meaning that u need 37 x
i love you thanks!
XLittleSparrowX
Rep:

Magazines
- The Big Issue
- Good House Keeping
- Heat

TV
- X Factor
- Waking The Dead
- Educating Yorkshire
I did X-Factor for TV! The general idea of X-Factor is that it's a formulaic structure and a passive audience knows what they're expecting. The structure is a mixture of bad acts, the occasional good acts, then at the end a stunning act that ends the show on a positive. It's there to appeal to a mass audience. Some theories you can use for X-Factor are:

- Strauss' Binary oppositions (The panel includes this as a way to create drama and watercooler conversation)
- Two Step Flow (The said watercooler conversation has an opinion leader who can talk about the show and others will watch, which is how it can get its audience.
- Stuart Hall's reception theory. The audience of the show will have a preferred reading because they're passively watching it. Its airing slot being at prime time is when people are worn out and most likely to want to watch something predictable.
- Gauntlett Web 2.0. The ability to vote in later episodes allows the audience to become a "prosumer" and be able to choose the people who go out and who stays in and in a way decides what happens in the show.
Baudrillard's hyper-reality - The show is mediated heavily but the audience doesn't know and accepts that as the reality.

That's all I have for now but I have a revision session tomorrow where I will get my mock back for this bit so if my teacher lets me know anything new or gives me some pointers I'll let you know.
sendhelp1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
I did X-Factor for TV! The general idea of X-Factor is that it's a formulaic structure and a passive audience knows what they're expecting. The structure is a mixture of bad acts, the occasional good acts, then at the end a stunning act that ends the show on a positive. It's there to appeal to a mass audience. Some theories you can use for X-Factor are:

- Strauss' Binary oppositions (The panel includes this as a way to create drama and watercooler conversation)
- Two Step Flow (The said watercooler conversation has an opinion leader who can talk about the show and others will watch, which is how it can get its audience.
- Stuart Hall's reception theory. The audience of the show will have a preferred reading because they're passively watching it. Its airing slot being at prime time is when people are worn out and most likely to want to watch something predictable.
- Gauntlett Web 2.0. The ability to vote in later episodes allows the audience to become a "prosumer" and be able to choose the people who go out and who stays in and in a way decides what happens in the show.
Baudrillard's hyper-reality - The show is mediated heavily but the audience doesn't know and accepts that as the reality.

That's all I have for now but I have a revision session tomorrow where I will get my mock back for this bit so if my teacher lets me know anything new or gives me some pointers I'll let you know.

You sir are a utter legend!
I'm making some more notes now so tomoz i can send you some as well!
sendhelp1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by XLittleSparrowX)

Anything you have for Industry in X Factor would be amazing
XLittleSparrowX
Rep:
I'll have a look through my notes tomorrow and let you know!
jessxxo
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
anyone done goggle box? Sherlock or idiot abroad??
sendhelp1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Alright lads - need some help

What kind of content do i need to include in a: Success, position, response and regulation essay???

A detailed answer would be much appreciated

Much love xx
emi27
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Anyone know how many marks for an A, also any predictions for section B and any help for how to write a positioning essay for magazines would be appreciated
newben00
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Magazines
- The Big Issue
- Good House Keeping
- Heat

TV
- X Factor
- Waking The Dead
- Educating Yorkshire
Here is my notes on the The Walking Dead they may not be any good but feel free to use them
Attached files
Imstruggling
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Literally help, my teacher completely messed up teaching us theories!!! Does any one have any theories which would help towards the industry section of the exam?
(All the notes she gave us for our industries was newspaper extracts of reviews cant say im not scared)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.67%
The paper was reasonable (168)
49.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
24.27%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
9.94%

Watched Threads