?
Report 1 year ago
I am quite bad with english literature as well so I dont know if I can help
Revisioncc123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make sure for paper 1 you begin with your point. So for example: you can start like “in this extract, (the author i.e Shakespeare) introduces (the character i.e. Romeo) as....
We can see this from (the quote)””.
Then start inferring ideas from the quote. What can it suggest? Then zoom into words from the quote. Identify subject terminology as well i.e. Shakespeare uses lots of oxymorons.. what does this suggest about a theme? E.g. Bittersweet-mad about love— context—in the era, people thought that love made people mad. If you use discourse markers such as Furthermore and In addition, ultimately, you can get a good mark. Also you should include noun phrases as well such as indecisive Romeo or impulsive Tybalt to describe the characters you are talking about, making the examiner aware that you know the text you are referring to well.
I hope this helped, I just put what I thought I had to improve on to get the top marks
AT-2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol and Macbeth. For poems I'm doing the Power and Conflict cluster.
elsaruus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn more obscure (but relevant) contextual information. It should impress the examiner. ALWAYS relate EVERYTHING you say back to the writer's purpose (Inspector Calls is to show the evils of Capitalism, sexism of society etc. etc.) and acknowledge that characters and themes are constructs to convey this purpose (Birling is a symbol for Capitalism etc). B explorative, so consider different interpretations for each quote. Finish your essay witha conclusion, saying something about the wroter's overall purpose, and what they wish for the future. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (32)
18.71%
Labour (69)
40.35%
Liberal Democrats (35)
20.47%
Green Party (7)
4.09%
Brexit Party (4)
2.34%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.34%
Plaid Cymru (4)
2.34%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)