SchoolIsokay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just explain to me for English Literature, what do I need to do?
How many quotations should I have?
How many character should I know?
Where can I find the author's reasons for writing it or poets?
How do I ensure a level 4/5?
What is a good structure to use?
username3998598
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What board are you doing
SchoolIsokay
Rep:
?
(Original post by zasbalroop)
What board are you doing
Aqa
Izzy56
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To get a pass (4/5) I would say you would need to know at least 4-5 quotes for each main character and maybe one or two for minor characters (e.g macduff, banquo). Revise the main points for each character and theme. For reasoning, you could either use revision guides, youtube (mr bruff?) or your own ideas and knowledge. You need to comment on why the author/poet has used or done a particular thing and be able to analyse quotes. A good structure to use is PQTE. point, quote, technique (if one is used e.g. smilie) and then explain and analyse the quote or point. Hope this helps
username3998598
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok same. paper 1 which is Tuesday is the extract questions, personally I revise the themes because the question is usually theme based and even if it isn’t it’ll be about a character which you can link easily to a theme and say like “this character epitomises this theme because x y x ...” so I would make sure that you’re familiar with major themes - if you find characters easier to revise though basically just do the opposite of what Ive said ^. Paper 2 on Friday the novel has a choice of question so again pick either characters or themes to revise - that’s what I’d do.

Ideally you want a quote for every point you make - book or poem alike. So depending on how many points you reckon ur gna make decide on some quotes that you can use and learn em.

In terms of author and poets reasons etc do some background reading and find context because there is marks for that. CGP is quite good for that. And to get a high level maintain a good structure throughout with a clear line or argument and well developed points. Anything else? Xx
stephen9871
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
make sure you zoom in on a quote then your fine . also need context on the play too . effect on the reader and hypotheses
SchoolIsokay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Izzy56)
To get a pass (4/5) I would say you would need to know at least 4-5 quotes for each main character and maybe one or two for minor characters (e.g macduff, banquo). Revise the main points for each character and theme. For reasoning, you could either use revision guides, youtube (mr bruff?) or your own ideas and knowledge. You need to comment on why the author/poet has used or done a particular thing and be able to analyse quotes. A good structure to use is PQTE. point, quote, technique (if one is used e.g. smilie) and then explain and analyse the quote or point. Hope this helps
Thanks for the response!! I'll try to remember PQTE
SchoolIsokay
Rep:
?
Ok same. paper 1 which is Tuesday is the extract questions, personally I revise the themes because the question is usually theme based and even if it isn’t it’ll be about a character which you can link easily to a theme and say like “this character epitomises this theme because x y x ...” so I would make sure that you’re familiar with major themes - if you find characters easier to revise though basically just do the opposite of what Ive said ^. Paper 2 on Friday the novel has a choice of question so again pick either characters or themes to revise - that’s what I’d do.

Ideally you want a quote for every point you make - book or poem alike. So depending on how many points you reckon ur gna make decide on some quotes that you can use and learn em.

In terms of author and poets reasons etc do some background reading and find context because there is marks for that. CGP is quite good for that. And to get a high level maintain a good structure throughout with a clear line or argument and well developed points. Anything else? Xx
Well, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will choose to study the themes. I guess do you study DNA,Power and conflict,Macbeth or Frankenstein>????
username3998598
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SchoolIsokay)
Well, thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will choose to study the themes. I guess do you study DNA,Power and conflict,Macbeth or Frankenstein>????
No problem lmao. And I do power and conflict, then for the books Never let me go, pride and prejudice and much ado about nothing
SchoolIsokay
Rep:
?
No problem lmao. And I do power and conflict, then for the books Never let me go, pride and prejudice and much ado about nothing
Nice!! so which poems would you say are the best to learn? I'm going to try learn 6 in detail.
username3998598
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well Ozymandias and bayonet charge have already come up so it’s very likely that those won’t be the one they give you. Also a lot of people find Tissue hard so maybe don’t do that one. As for which 6 go for ones you understand well because then you can write well about them, and generally I find London can be linked to pretty much every other poem so definitely have that on your list, otherwise have a range of war ones, nature, memory etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?