Turn on thread page Beta

Women and walking down the aisle watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never known something more sexist than when your father or brother walks you down the aisle. Its absolutely disgusting. Clearly you think they own you and have power over you.

And when your father gives you away its an exchange of power and your husband now controls you.

I just don't understand women. Is it that difficult to walk down the aisle yourself to meet the love of your love? Most weddings are just a show. Its supposed to be about you and your lover.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly it's an archaic tradition which originated back when women were considered property of men and required a man's permission to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Relic)
    I've never known something more sexist than when your father or brother walks you down the aisle. Its absolutely disgusting. Clearly you think they own you and have power over you.

And when your father gives you away its an exchange of power and your husband now controls you.

I just don't understand women. Is it that difficult to walk down the aisle yourself to meet the love of your love? Most weddings are just a show. Its supposed to be about you and your lover.
    I'm pretty sure that's where walking down the aisle came from back in the day, but nowadays it's just for tradition and nothing much to do with the actual meaning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfvnch)
    Yeah exactly it's an archaic tradition which originated back when women were considered property of men and required a man's permission to do anything.
    My point exactly. I think the main reason why women still do it is because they are too obsessed over the wedding itself and want to act like a bloody princess.

I don't know why they don't just walk down the aisle by themselves to meet their lover.

ReputationRep:
    The origin of the tradition isn't great but that doesn't mean that when people do it now they do it for the same reason. The couple are free to choose what they do with their wedding. If the woman wants to ask her dad/brother to do that because she considers it a nice tradition, that is up to her.

ReputationRep:

Personally I'd have my BFF walk me down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bham369)
    Personally I'd have my BFF walk me down...
    Your lover should be your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    My point exactly. I think the main reason why women still do it is because they are too obsessed over the wedding itself and want to act like a bloody princess.

I don't know why they don't just walk down the aisle by themselves to meet their lover.
    Ikr the whole walk down the aisle just feels akin to the woman being delivered like some sort of parcel to her groom. Also I could be reaching too much so do forgive me if this is the case, but the veil is also something that pisses me off - they're supposed to symbolise virginity and purity when nowadays, many have already had sex prior to marriage.

ReputationRep:
    For Christ's sake. It's traditional, symbolic, nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfvnch)
    Ikr the whole walk down the aisle just feels akin to the woman being delivered like some sort of parcel to her groom. Also I could be reaching too much so do forgive me if this is the case, but the veil is also something that pisses me off - they're supposed to symbolise virginity and purity when nowadays, many have already had sex prior to marriage.
    I completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    Your lover should be your best friend.
    They will be but I can have more than one bestie,

The bestie that will walk me down the aisle will be the guy I have known for years, The bestie he will give me to will be my partner

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree.
    Don't do it at your wedding then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    For Christ's sake. It's traditional, symbolic, nothing more.
    What on earth does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    What on earth does that mean?
    It means that even though the origin of the tradition isn't great, some people like the tradition for the tradition itself and as such, choose to include it in their wedding ceremony. Their meaning for it may be completely different.

ReputationRep:
    It's called tradition. That's just how it used to be. the men of the family were seen as the protectors and the breadwinners. Your religion is far worse in its treatment of women so stop with the selective outrage.

Are you going to be outraged over the fact that the man is expected to propose or initiate a relationship too?

If you hate it so much you're free to not do it yourself. That's of course assuming a sane man would want to marry you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    They will be but I can have more than one bestie,

The bestie that will walk me down the aisle will be the guy I have known for years, The bestie he will give me to will be my partner
    This is seriously weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damnation1)
    It's called tradition. That's just how it used to be. the men of the family were seen as the protectors and the breadwinners. Your religion is far worse in its treatment of women so stop with the selective outrage.

If you hate it so much you're free to not do it yourself.
    You really hate Islam don't you.

ReputationRep:
    This is seriously weird.
    What's so weird about it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Weddings have many traditions its up to the couple which ones they want to continue doing, maybe they have a male relative because they want to recognise a positive contribution in their lives. We did it together as a couple which although people found a bit different, i think it's more common these days.

ReputationRep:
    What's so weird about it?
    This person has their head in the clouds.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.