The Student Room Group

Women and walking down the aisle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
It is simply a tradition, but there were good reasons for it in the past.

Daughters tend to do it because they have a close realtionship with their fathers and it signifies moving from one household to creating another.

If you dont wnat to do it that way, then dont do it at your wedding if you ever get married.

Nothing to do with control or power, unless thats the way it works in your family.

Keep telling yourself that. You just want men to baby you.
Original post by The Relic
You really hate Islam don't you.

I hate oppression of women. I get outraged over women being stoned and not having equal rights, you get outraged over traditional ceremonies.
Your lover should be your best friend. I don't know what you don't understand.

I know, and they will be. But a person can have more than one best friend
Original post by damnation1
It's called tradition. That's just how it used to be. the men of the family were seen as the protectors and the breadwinners. Your religion is far worse in its treatment of women so stop with the selective outrage.

Are you going to be outraged over the fact that the man is expected to propose or initiate a relationship too?

If you hate it so much you're free to not do it yourself. That's of course assuming a sane man would want to marry you anyway.

If I fell in love I would ask my lover to marry me.
Original post by Joleee
well yeah, it's sexist it's called 'giving away the bride'. lol the clue is in the title.

if we want to argue sexism, though, then the whole wedding is sexist (even the fact it's always SHE walking down the aisle). so if we want to eliminate sexism we need to do away with weddings altogether and just sign a marriage contract at city hall.

A small intimate wedding isn't sexist.
Walking down the aisle is pointless but its not sexist. You and your lover could even walk down together my point is about walking down with your father or brother and the exchange of power.
Original post by bars from mars

Also the fact Harry is even marrying this hoe shows what a shitshow the monarchy is.

>implying any women would get wet for a typical snotty gaytheist who tries to be Logic TM about everything.

Misogynistic and homophobic. Islam has taught you well I see.

Im really not interested tbh. Your women would get their clits removed for getting wet.
Misogynistic and homophobic. Islam has taught you well I see.

Im really not interested tbh. Your women would get their clits removed for getting wet.

I used to play with it all the time. My clit is intact.
What on earth does that mean?

It means that it's ridiculous to think that just because the tradition is still carried out today somehow means that "Clearly you think they own you and have power over you".

Seriously, people nowadays will complain/be offended by anything they can get their hands on. That's far more sickening than any common tradition.

Original post by Volibear
It means that even though the origin of the tradition isn't great, some people like the tradition for the tradition itself and as such, choose to include it in their wedding ceremony. Their meaning for it may be completely different.

Precisely ^
Keep telling yourself that. You just want men to baby you.

Can you try and speak some sense. You seem unhinged and unable to manage any form of rational discusssion.

Is it a tradition? Yes.
Do fathers have a parental realtionship with their child? yes
Does it signify a change in household and status? yes
Do fathers own their daughters? No.
is it compulsory? No
Are there any legal implications? No
Can you try and speak some sense. You seem unhinged and unable to manage any form of rational discusssion.

Is it a tradition? Yes.
Do fathers have a parental realtionship with their child? yes
Does it signify a change in household and status? yes
Do fathers own their daughters? No.
is it compulsory? No
Are there any legal implications? No

Would you ever ask your lover to marry you?
Would you ever ask your lover to marry you?

Yes. Why not?
Yes. Why not?

Would you expect him to get you an engagement ring?
Reply 32
A small intimate wedding isn't sexist.
Walking down the aisle is pointless but its not sexist. You and your lover could even walk down together my point is about walking down with your father or brother and the exchange of power.

the fact that there are gender roles at the wedding makes it inherently sexist; that's my point. the fact that most wedding days in most cultures is all about the bride makes it sexist.

that doesn't mean it's offensive. it's only offensive if it's offensive to you (obviously most women don't feel that way).

feminism is about personal choice -- the freedom to choose what you want in life. so if you want your father to walk you down the aisle and no one is forcing you, it's just as feminist as walking by yourself.

p.s. this is coming from someone who walked herself down the aisle and kept her own last name.
I used to play with it all the time. My clit is intact.

Good for you mate. Doesn't change the fact that your religion is still deeply misogynistic. Your dad's gonna sell you off for the dowry money and you'll live a life popping out baby boys.
Reply 34
sorry i also proposed to my spouse with a full-on engagement ring.
Original post by Joleee
the fact that there are gender roles at the wedding makes it inherently sexist; that's my point. the fact that most wedding days in most cultures is all about the bride makes it sexist.

that doesn't mean it's offensive. it's only offensive if it's offensive to you (obviously most women don't feel that way).

feminism is about personal choice -- the freedom to choose what you want in life. so if you want your father to walk you down the aisle and no one is forcing you, it's just as feminist as walking by yourself.

p.s. this is coming from someone who walked herself down the aisle and kept her own last name.

I agree that most weddings are about the bride. I don't know what you disagree with?
Would you expect him to get you an engagement ring?

I would expect to get engaged as that is part of the process. A ring is usual. but how much and what type if between the couple. many people spend very modest amounts. The ring is symbolic.
Good for you mate. Doesn't change the fact that your religion is still deeply misogynistic. Your dad's gonna sell you off for the dowry money and you'll live a life popping out baby boys.

I don't have a dad.
I don't have a dad.

Why do you sneer at those who have a close relationship with their father and like to uphold the tradition? You have what wedding you like and let others do the same.
I don't have a dad.

that explains a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending