Message to the 'Can I take 200 a-levels?' trolls... Watch

adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's actually retarded to take more than four, elite unis review applications holistically someone with 3 A-Levels that satisfy the entry requirements will be regarded equally, as A-levels simply account for one aspect of the application process. There is no direct advantage whatsoever with taking more than 4 a-levels, you're literally just calling depression upon yourself, forfeiting a social life of any calibre, reducing your chances of achieving top grades, and gaining nothing out of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...niversity.html

'Oxford tutors may prefer a candidate who has read around their subject beyond school and college work, and who shows a great passion for, and engagement with, their subject, over a candidate who may have taken more qualifications or more subjects, but who is unable to discuss their interests with any enthusiasm or in any depth.' Oxford Admissions

Dr Malcolm Fairburn, of King’s College London’s physics department, explained that the preferences of admissions tutors can change year-on-year.

“Every department has a different philosophy, shaped by the attitudes of the admissions tutor, as well as statistics from previous years,” he says. “At the moment at KCL, we only concentrate on the first three A-levels. The fourth A-level would only become relevant if it was a borderline case.”

Dr Alice Taylor is admissions tutor and lecturer in medieval history at King’s College London, where a typical offer to study history is three A grades at A-level.

“We don’t favour four above three,” she told me of the admissions process. “Our offer is three A-levels – but if a student has four, that’s great, and gives them a bit more breathing space when it comes to achieving the offer in question.”

Four A-levels is not a requirement for entry to Cambridge, says Adam Patel, a fourth-year languages student at Cambridge University who took four A-levels. However, Patel says that employers like it. “I don’t think having four made any difference to my application,” he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-four-a-levels
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bear in mind students go from 12 ish subjects at GCSE and are then told to knock it down to 3 - They likely feel they can handle 5.

Yes, it’s entirely unnecessary to take more than 3. 4 is usually only for Further Math students. But perhaps calling students who do so retards, is a bit of a stretch.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
adamantacademic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Bear in mind students go from 12 ish subjects at GCSE and are then told to knock it down to 3 - They likely feel they can handle 5.

Yes, it’s entirely unnecessary to take more than 3. 4 is usually only for Further Math students. But perhaps calling students who do so retards, is a bit of a stretch.
FM is understandable, the students are by no means retards, it's the concept of taking more than four A-levels and considering it as something smart, that in my opinion is retarded.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adamantacademic)
FM is understandable, the students are by no means retards, it's the concept of taking more than four A-levels and considering it as something smart, that in my opinion is retarded.
Your word choice leaves a little to be desired. It's certainly not something that's considered retarded, regardless of which definition you want to use. Impractical or a poor use of time maybe, but certainly not retarded. A concept cannot be retarded.
ox_student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's actually retarded to take more than four, elite unis review applications holistically someone with 3 A-Levels that satisfy the entry requirements will be regarded equally, as A-levels simply account for one aspect of the application process. There is no direct advantage whatsoever with taking more than 4 a-levels, you're literally just calling depression upon yourself, forfeiting a social life of any calibre, reducing your chances of achieving top grades, and gaining nothing out of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...niversity.html

'Oxford tutors may prefer a candidate who has read around their subject beyond school and college work, and who shows a great passion for, and engagement with, their subject, over a candidate who may have taken more qualifications or more subjects, but who is unable to discuss their interests with any enthusiasm or in any depth.' Oxford Admissions

Dr Malcolm Fairburn, of King’s College London’s physics department, explained that the preferences of admissions tutors can change year-on-year.

“Every department has a different philosophy, shaped by the attitudes of the admissions tutor, as well as statistics from previous years,” he says. “At the moment at KCL, we only concentrate on the first three A-levels. The fourth A-level would only become relevant if it was a borderline case.”

Dr Alice Taylor is admissions tutor and lecturer in medieval history at King’s College London, where a typical offer to study history is three A grades at A-level.

“We don’t favour four above three,” she told me of the admissions process. “Our offer is three A-levels – but if a student has four, that’s great, and gives them a bit more breathing space when it comes to achieving the offer in question.”

Four A-levels is not a requirement for entry to Cambridge, says Adam Patel, a fourth-year languages student at Cambridge University who took four A-levels. However, Patel says that employers like it. “I don’t think having four made any difference to my application,” he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-four-a-levels
Spot on!
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's the fact that

a) they probably are aiming for D in their BTEC Hospitality Level 1 and have no actual interest in A Levels that's more annoying

b) people genuinely want to advise and help and are told "I'm smarter so I can do 200 A Levels, you're not"

c) the majority of posts are trolls

People that do more than 4 subjects are just show offs and stupid.

There is no need.

Does Oxford require 7 A Levels? No

Cambridge? No

Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial or even bloody Greenwich University? No, no, no, no and no

Thanks for raising this!
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It actually shows that more people have disabilities in the UK than we previously thought.

Especially when their offer is "AAA" or "A*A*A*" where is the offer of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

like when it exists let me know
ox_student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Your word choice leaves a little to be desired. It's certainly not something that's considered retarded, regardless of which definition you want to use. Impractical or a poor use of time maybe, but certainly not retarded. A concept cannot be retarded.
Tbf it's pretty retarded mate, ik 2 girls on my course who highly regret taking 5 a-levels as tutors made clear it gave their applications no extra advantage! They talk about how stressful A-levels were for them. I like most students took 3 subjects I love, and went from there - I highly advise against taking more than 4.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ox_student)
Tbf it's pretty retarded mate, ik 2 girls on my course who highly regret taking 5 a-levels as tutors made clear it gave their applications no extra advantage! They talk about how stressful A-levels were for them. I like most students took 3 subjects I love, and went from there - I highly advise against taking more than 4.
Oh dear, I see I'm going to have to simplify this for you, since you've completely missed the point.

I've already said that encouraging students to take more then 3 subjects may be impractical or a poor use of time. I've not disagreed with that, although there is merit to it. I'm saying pick better words to explain it. Retarded, by definition, means that someone is less mentally advanced. It's an offensive term for people with mental disabilities. It's also an offensive way of saying that something or someone is stupid. I'm not saying taking a dozen A Levels isn't a daft idea, I'm saying don't describe it as retarded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%