Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm doing an essay entitled "To what extent does globalisation capture the evolution of contemporary international relations?".

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some hits or tips as to what I should be putting in it? Maybe some possible subheadings I can work on?

Obviously, I've trawled through my textbooks but there is SO MUCH information about globalisation that I just don't know where to start and it's getting me a little worked up now

One of my friends posts here and says there are lots of helpful people around so I hope you can help me, too !

Lili x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Lili_)
    Hi!

I'm doing an essay entitled "To what extent does globalisation capture the evolution of contemporary international relations?".

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some hits or tips as to what I should be putting in it? Maybe some possible subheadings I can work on?

Obviously, I've trawled through my textbooks but there is SO MUCH information about globalisation that I just don't know where to start and it's getting me a little worked up now

One of my friends posts here and says there are lots of helpful people around so I hope you can help me, too !

Lili x
    hi _Lili_,

It seems we have almost the same subject to work at. I have got to write an essay of 1500 words on "What is 'globalisation' and what does it mean for the way we think about international relations"

I've ordered a book from amazon by Baylis and Smith "The Globalisation of world politics: an introduction to international relations".

Try to read the book, if you could get hold of, it is quite helpful. And, please do keep in touch as we can collaborate in proofreading of each other's work.

Have a great day,
    PM me please for any questions.

ReputationRep:
    The Baylis and Smith book is excellent - its well worth its weight and price(considerable). It also covers alot more than just the big 'g'.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, Bayliss and Smith is excellent.

How long is the essay and what level? Undergrad or A-Level?

To me that question is basically asking - what are the alternatives? Regionalism, localism, nationalism? What type of globalisation are we talking about? Structure wise you'll need to define how perceive globalisation theoretically, then argue that it does/doesn't structure IR by exploring the alternatives. Plus the 'evolution' part is asking for a slightly historical take - I'd go at least post-WWII.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You might find the following interesting:

If you look at the history of mankind in the past two centuries, this is the fourth attempt at globalisation. The first came at the end of the 18th century, collapsing with the Napoleonic wars. The second came at the end of the 19th century and collapsed with the First World War. The globalisation of the 1920s collapsed with the Second World War. We are in the fourth attempt at globalisation in two centuries and the most probable outcome is that this attempt will go the same way as the previous, leading to isolationism and protectionism.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/200603130018

The above quote gives you some historical background (at least from the perspective of contemporary historians) but you should then concentrate on the phase that has evolved since the end of WW2 and has accelerated since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989.

An interesting tension to explore would be the relationship between states and trans-national actors. Do states still dominate international relations or do multinational corporations increasingly influence world politics?

Ad

ReputationRep:
    May try to get Scholte's 'Globalization: A Critical Introduction' that may help as well.

ReputationRep:
    www.google.com

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.