The Student Room Group

Can you write a decent undergraduate history essay with 2 main body paragraghs?

Just finished my first-year exams and a lot of my essays contained 2 main body paragraphs rather than the recommended 3 because I ran out of time. Can I still get a good grade?
Original post by Anonymous
Just finished my first-year exams and a lot of my essays contained 2 main body paragraphs rather than the recommended 3 because I ran out of time. Can I still get a good grade?

I think so - on our course they said they don't mark harshly on grammar etc just want to see points mentioned and extra points for references. I frequently add asterisks and extra para's/sentences on the end and i've always got over 60's.
Reply 2
Original post by Student1010101y
I think so - on our course they said they don't mark harshly on grammar etc just want to see points mentioned and extra points for references. I frequently add asterisks and extra para's/sentences on the end and i've always got over 60's.

Cheers for the reply. For some of my essays I have mentioned 3 points in introduction, finished 2nd main body paragraph then realised I was running out of time so wrote conclusion only summing up the two points I'd written. But then had time to write like 3 lines of a 3rd paragraph.
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers for the reply. For some of my essays I have mentioned 3 points in an introduction, finished 2nd main body paragraph then realised I was running out of time so wrote conclusion only summing up the two points I'd written. But then had time to write like 3 lines of a 3rd paragraph.

Personally, I'd rather add new points/info (every new 'buzzword' gets a point if relevant) than a conclusion - if you've explained well enough in the relative para a conclusion just reiterates what you said altogether, so fewer points up for grabs than the same space going over new info. Don't stress too much though as 1st year is all about getting the hang of these; you will probably find you did far better than you fear. As a rule of thumb by 3rd year I'd have memorised appx 10-15 citations and have found ways to lever them into most of the past essay questions somehow. Citations are what will get you the 70's +.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending