s3 need help to find estimate maximum value X

Watch this thread
assassinbunny123
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
https://i.imgur.com/m3iOVUp.jpg
part c
assassinbunny123
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
value for k=2/3 and bias is alpha/2
assassinbunny123
Rep:
Gregorius
vc94
assassinbunny123
Rep:
is it becuase the continuous distribution is (a-3,2a+3)
so max will be 2a+3 and minimum will be a-3
ghostwalker
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by assassinbunny123)
is it becuase the continuous distribution is (a-3,2a+3)
so max will be 2a+3 and minimum will be a-3
No.

You don't know how the max/min of the sample relates to the max/min of the poplulation.

There is however a statistic you've can derive from the sample that you do know about. What is it?
assassinbunny123
Rep:
not really I'm confused now
. how is my reasoning wrong in this case. in part b Y=KX where y is an unbiased estimator of a.
we found k to be 2/3. this question says that a random sample of 10 from X is taken where this sample follows the same distribution. I did
a=k(xbar)
where k =2/3 and X bar in this case is 8 hence
a=16/3 and then substitute it into the interval.
is this not a correct method, Im worried now since you out right rejected my solution. 😔
ghostwalker
Report 3 years ago
not really I'm confused now
. how is my reasoning wrong in this case. in part b Y=KX where y is an unbiased estimator of a.
we found k to be 2/3. this question says that a random sample of 10 from X is taken where this sample follows the same distribution. I did
a=k(xbar)
where k =2/3 and X bar in this case is 8 hence
a=16/3 and then substitute it into the interval.
is this not a correct method, Im worried now since you out right rejected my solution. 😔
Well your original post made no mention of using X-bar, just talked about the max/min.

What you've just posted is the correct method.
assassinbunny123
Rep:
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Well your original post made no mention of using X-bar, just talked about the max/min.

What you've just posted is the correct method.
ah ok but can you please tell me your method?
ghostwalker
Report 3 years ago
ah ok but can you please tell me your method?
You've just used it. X-bar is the statistic you've derived from the sample.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (122)
41.78%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.49%
No (116)
39.73%

Watched Threads