?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
FEAR In dr.jekyll and mr hyde quotes??

entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"he gave an impression of deformity without any nameable deformation"- continuous vague description and lack of rationality in this statement may have caused readers as well as characters in the book to be scared/weary of hyde.
look at any moments in the book where there's a fair amount of description- likely there's some pathetic fallacy in there or an element of gothic fiction within it. i can't remember any specific quotes but there's a description that includes something about a chocolate coloured pall. in chapter 8 near the beginning there's description of the night and city as well as utterson's emotions. setting's probably an important element in creating fear in the novel.
you also have the fact that it is not revealed until chapter 9 that jekyll and hyde are the same person- this delay until the reveal of information helps increase tension for the reader as they would've never fully understand the concept of jekyll and hyde till that point. furthermore, the time/organisation of events is not at all coherent in the novel- the last two chapters are letters which contain accounts of events that happened previously, so for example if we as the readers do have any questions they cannot be answered, and we'll never know utterson's response to the letter- it just ends with jekyll unhappily giving up to hyde.
Jaycemarsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
"he gave an impression of deformity without any nameable deformation"- continuous vague description and lack of rationality in this statement may have caused readers as well as characters in the book to be scared/weary of hyde.
look at any moments in the book where there's a fair amount of description- likely there's some pathetic fallacy in there or an element of gothic fiction within it. i can't remember any specific quotes but there's a description that includes something about a chocolate coloured pall. in chapter 8 near the beginning there's description of the night and city as well as utterson's emotions. setting's probably an important element in creating fear in the novel.
you also have the fact that it is not revealed until chapter 9 that jekyll and hyde are the same person- this delay until the reveal of information helps increase tension for the reader as they would've never fully understand the concept of jekyll and hyde till that point. furthermore, the time/organisation of events is not at all coherent in the novel- the last two chapters are letters which contain accounts of events that happened previously, so for example if we as the readers do have any questions they cannot be answered, and we'll never know utterson's response to the letter- it just ends with jekyll unhappily giving up to hyde.
Thanks so much , can u tell me the possible themes/characters ehichcould come out In the exam
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jaycemarsh)
Thanks so much , can u tell me the possible themes/characters ehichcould come out In the exam
anything could come up to be honest, what exam board are you on? i can really only tell you what was on last year's paper if you're aqa. other exam boards may have uploaded last year's papers around this time. but themes and characters to consider:
jekyll, hyde, lanyon, utterson and maybe enfield
fear, rationality, gender, duality, hypocrisy... i can't think of much else. perhaps other emotions idk.
LarissaAlves
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://app.senecalearning.com/class...e-89fdb618586f This link has all the key quotes from Jekyll and Hyde. It may help you find one that works!
ewrfgrwe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hj
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (101)
61.21%
No (64)
38.79%

Watched Threads