Turn on thread page Beta

Any advice for unforeseeable money trouble? Slightly panicked! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So, I am currently in my first of two years studying operating department practice. I currently live alone in a 1 bed flat with two kittens (normally I'd have happily gone to halls, but I signed a contract with a partner and he left so I'm stuck in this flat, and with two kittens!)
    Although it's hard work to maintain with a student loan, I am currently working bank at the hospital and providing I worked 4 days a week over the next three weeks (while I'm at uni for only two days per week) it's all absolutely fine and my rent shall be paid etc.
    However, I've managed to dislocate my knee and tear a good few things, and I'm not allowed to drive or work, and I'm sporting the lovely full leg brace and crutches. So now, apart from the stress of missing placement, I have the stress that I can't pay my rent or bills. I am unhopeful that I'll be accepted for an overdraft as I had to use my existing one to fix a boiler.
    Does anyone have any ideas of any sort of aid or help I may be entitled to at all?
    Thank you!
    Kate.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your uni. They have discretionary funds for people in financial trouble... although there is no guarantee they will give it to you. But start trying to think of back ups... is there anyone who could lend you money? Are you friendly with your landlord and could ask for an extension? Is your ex on the contract still?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Headfirstfail)
    Hello!

So, I am currently in my first of two years studying operating department practice. I currently live alone in a 1 bed flat with two kittens (normally I'd have happily gone to halls, but I signed a contract with a partner and he left so I'm stuck in this flat, and with two kittens!)
    Although it's hard work to maintain with a student loan, I am currently working bank at the hospital and providing I worked 4 days a week over the next three weeks (while I'm at uni for only two days per week) it's all absolutely fine and my rent shall be paid etc.
    However, I've managed to dislocate my knee and tear a good few things, and I'm not allowed to drive or work, and I'm sporting the lovely full leg brace and crutches. So now, apart from the stress of missing placement, I have the stress that I can't pay my rent or bills. I am unhopeful that I'll be accepted for an overdraft as I had to use my existing one to fix a boiler.
    Does anyone have any ideas of any sort of aid or help I may be entitled to at all?
    Thank you!
    Kate.
    Should have asked the bf for more if it was a joint liability.

Hardship fund at the uni.

Have to work in the summer.

Using o/d to fix a boiler seems odd.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.