Turn on thread page Beta

When a friend joins the gym watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    So...I have a friend who just joined the gym. Which is great for him, all props for wanting to improve himself. Only problem is, he won’t shut up about it and he randomly says the cringiest things such as “Good afternoon fellow gymrat!”. Last night he messaged me at midnight to say how he worked out for half an hour and his knee is hurting, he pushed himself to “the absolute limit” ...Yes, that’s right bench pressing just the bar takes effort, this guy doesn’t even lift. I don’t want to be a d*** to him though but how do I stop this ridiculous behaviour from his side without hurting his feelings? He’s a bit overly-sensitive...

ReputationRep:
    He'll probably either stop going to the gym or he'll stop talking about it constantly. You're right for not wanting to hurt his feelings tho so just wait a few weeks and he'll probably stop

ReputationRep:
    I know people like that, I was at the gym and so was he and i turn around and the guy is benching the bar, and as extra weight he has a clip on either side. Just send him dont be this guy at the gym videos and maybe he'll be less like them
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KLP44)
    He'll probably either stop going to the gym or he'll stop talking about it constantly. You're right for not wanting to hurt his feelings tho so just wait a few weeks and he'll probably stop
    It’s just really silly though and it starts to get annoying. I’ve been gyming for years, built an impressive physique and very good strength for a natural, then this guy comes around and acts as if he’s one of us...like hell nah, you have to earn the gymrat status. The fact he brags about literally doing nothing kinda pisses me off. I do want to help him though with his journey...but he honestly needs to keep that ego in check. Should I just ignore the things he says or tell him he needs to chill?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by steveeem)
    I know people like that, I was at the gym and so was he and i turn around and the guy is benching the bar, and as extra weight he has a clip on either side. Just send him dont be this guy at the gym videos and maybe he'll be less like them
    He had a new years resolution to get ripped btw...of course though, that never happened. But now he’s back in the gym, only this time he says things even more cocky than before...what is wrong with some people man. Like okay, if you have the results and hard work to back it all up then it’s a little more acceptable (still don’t like extreme cockyness though)...but when you’re literally noob status, 0 dedication whatsoever and you say things like this...kinda pisses me off. Especially since I’m passionate about lifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    He had a new years resolution to get ripped btw...of course though, that never happened. But now he’s back in the gym, only this time he says things even more cocky than before...what is wrong with some people man. Like okay, if you have the results and hard work to back it all up then it’s a little more acceptable (still don’t like extreme cockyness though)...but when you’re literally noob status, 0 dedication whatsoever and you say things like this...kinda pisses me off. Especially since I’m passionate about lifting.
    Same, i see some like year 10s come into the gym, there only workout is flexing in the mirror and as i walk past and the guy whos been going for a week says 'Im bare proud of myself you know my arms look big' This is a stick that weighs about 35kg and trains literally only biceps. And then to make things better they used to trash the changing rooms and throw the soap in the toilet so the gym got soap attached to the wall. Like wtf it isnt school how are you so immature

ReputationRep:
    I literally read the title in my best Percy sledge impression: "when a frie-end joins the gy-ym..."

But honestly I'd agree that all his bragging means Jack shite without any visible results. I used to go to the gym but never really enjoyed it; took up cycling and now feel much more productive in terms of exercise

ReputationRep:
    So...I have a friend who just joined the gym. Which is great for him, all props for wanting to improve himself. Only problem is, he won’t shut up about it and he randomly says the cringiest things such as “Good afternoon fellow gymrat!”. Last night he messaged me at midnight to say how he worked out for half an hour and his knee is hurting, he pushed himself to “the absolute limit” ...Yes, that’s right bench pressing just the bar takes effort, this guy doesn’t even lift. I don’t want to be a d*** to him though but how do I stop this ridiculous behaviour from his side without hurting his feelings? He’s a bit overly-sensitive...
    This guy sounds funny. Whats happening here is he’s gaining confidence and seeing himself as an insider to the gym community. I agree, I wouldnt want to hurt his feelings, maybe you could tell him to keep it down a bit. He must remember who is more established and in charge, so show some dominance and leadership. Would be horrible for him to manage to overthrow you and fluster you into making your own mistakes.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I literally read the title in my best Percy sledge impression: "when a frie-end joins the gy-ym..."

But honestly I'd agree that all his bragging means Jack shite without any visible results. I used to go to the gym but never really enjoyed it; took up cycling and now feel much more productive in terms of exercise
    lol

Yeah man, by all means I’m happy he is trying to improve himself. But it’s his behaviour that is pissing me off. I worked hard for my physique and strength, yet I don’t brag about it...and then a guy like this comes around, 0 muscle and 0 strength and says the most cocky and cringy things about the gym. He said quote on quote “all the b*** are admiring my aesthetics” smh he is skinny fat *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    It’s just really silly though and it starts to get annoying. I’ve been gyming for years, built an impressive physique and very good strength for a natural, then this guy comes around and acts as if he’s one of us...like hell nah, you have to earn the gymrat status. The fact he brags about literally doing nothing kinda pisses me off. I do want to help him though with his journey...but he honestly needs to keep that ego in check. Should I just ignore the things he says or tell him he needs to chill?
    Tell him to not disturb or annoy you.
    Is he actually your friend, because from the sound of things, you really dislike this guy?

ReputationRep:
    not going to lie i just make it clear i don't care.

i just call myself obese and stuff and how i enjoy being fat to trigger them into submission (ie: not talking to me about the gym)

ReputationRep:
    Just let him be happy.

ReputationRep:
    lol

Yeah man, by all means I’m happy he is trying to improve himself. But it’s his behaviour that is pissing me off. I worked hard for my physique and strength, yet I don’t brag about it...and then a guy like this comes around, 0 muscle and 0 strength and says the most cocky and cringy things about the gym. He said quote on quote “all the b*** are admiring my aesthetics” smh he is skinny fat *facepalm*
    Well, getting annoyed because someone thinks he is in the same league as you really is tantamount to bragging and arrogance, I have to say. And to be honest, that sense of having your "turf" threatened is the insecurity which causes people to dedicate themselves to sculpting their body in the first place.

I might be wrong, but it is another perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdearstudying)

i just call myself obese and stuff and how i enjoy being fat to trigger them into submission (ie: not talking to me about the gym)
    lol

Bruh ngl i know the skinny fat struggle, well used to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveeem)
    Bruh ngl i know the skinny fat struggle, well used to
    me being obese.

we should see evidence of your transformation in pictoral form!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Well, getting annoyed because someone thinks he is in the same league as you really is tantamount to bragging and arrogance, I have to say. And to be honest, that sense of having your "turf" threatened is the insecurity which causes people to dedicate themselves to sculpting their body in the first place.

I might be wrong, but it is another perspective.
    What? lol that’s not why I’m annoyed, and I’m not an arrogant person. Not only does he do that, but he legit calls himself the weirdest things like “The God of Gainz”, just yesterday he said “Man...I’m hot af now since I build this muscle”. It’s absolutely ridiculous behaviour. It’s frustrating when you’re passionate about something and then someone acts this delusional about that very same thing all the sudden. And I wouldn’t even care if he says the stuff he says but he always says them to me, almost as if he’s trying to show off with nothing, wtf.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    This guy sounds funny. Whats happening here is he’s gaining confidence and seeing himself as an insider to the gym community. I agree, I wouldnt want to hurt his feelings, maybe you could tell him to keep it down a bit. He must remember who is more established and in charge, so show some dominance and leadership. Would be horrible for him to manage to overthrow you and fluster you into making your own mistakes.
    It’s only funny the first time he says it...gets really annoying after a while though. What do you mean by the last sentence? lol
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    Tell him to not disturb or annoy you.
    Is he actually your friend, because from the sound of things, you really dislike this guy?
    He is, great guy other than this weird habbit he developed all the sudden. I don’t dislike him at all, I really dislike his recent arrogant behaviour when it comes to the gym though
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ohdearstudying)

Does it work?

ReputationRep:
    Has he bought the myprotein muscle top yet? Has he started wearing a baseball cap back to front? Does he sit in lectures with a protein shake?

I fear this is just the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    It’s only funny the first time he says it...gets really annoying after a while though. What do you mean by the last sentence? lol

He is, great guy other than this weird habbit he developed all the sudden. I don’t dislike him at all, I really dislike his recent arrogant behaviour when it comes to the gym though
    To be honest, that last sentence was just me vomiting thoughts onto the page. Im in the process of studying for a stats exam, so my mind is a bit disembodied.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.