The Student Room Group

Earning 6 figures

I found an interesting article the other day, how earning 6 figures doesnt really drastically change your lifesetyle!

what are your thoughts guys?

http://theypzone.com/interview-with-a-20-something-earning-6-figures-in-your-20s/

Scroll to see replies

yeah other than attracting a gold digging wife :wink: married by 25 and own a house and earning the big bucks
What I would give to be able to shop at Waitrose...
Fantastic. It sounds like my prospects are looking great. If this guy wasn't that smart and had multiple (quite "serious") failures yet ended up where he is... hope is very strong for me to do the same. A path to look towards I suppose
Original post by pereira325
Fantastic. It sounds like my prospects are looking great. If this guy wasn't that smart and had multiple (quite "serious":wink: failures yet ended up where he is... hope is very strong for me to do the same. A path to look towards I suppose

haha tell me about it! i think it comes down to luck though, some guys have all the luck in the world
share your secrets
Original post by i have no name
haha tell me about it! i think it comes down to luck though, some guys have all the luck in the world

It sounds like it. I have heard though getting the first job is the hard bit. There will be a LOT of applications, LOT of rejections, LOT of wasted time doing interviews, online tests, tests at test centers and tests on phones! But once you get your "foot in the door" as they say, the only way is up!!!

Currently at the degree stage but to be honest the money interests me and the whole process seems like a great ride :biggrin:
Can't enjoy the highs as much if you're always on a high!
It sounds like it. I have heard though getting the first job is the hard bit. There will be a LOT of applications, LOT of rejections, LOT of wasted time doing interviews, online tests, tests at test centers and tests on phones! But once you get your "foot in the door" as they say, the only way is up!!!

Currently at the degree stage but to be honest the money interests me and the whole process seems like a great ride :biggrin:
Can't enjoy the highs as much if you're always on a high!

I got my first job in Banking a year ago, its tough and the money comes but not as quick as this guy unless you get lucky, what industry you wanting to get into?
I got my first job in Banking a year ago, its tough and the money comes but not as quick as this guy unless you get lucky, what industry you wanting to get into?

Dunno. I'm only "finishing" 1st year now aha. So there's time to think about that next year I guess.
My degree is economics and I mainly chose that to keep my options open even haha.
I would be open to most things tbh, so what would influence my decisions would be things like salary or working hours.
Dunno. I'm only "finishing" 1st year now aha. So there's time to think about that next year I guess.
My degree is economics and I mainly chose that to keep my options open even haha.
I would be open to most things tbh, so what would influence my decisions would be things like salary or working hours.

Fair enough, I did Economics at Uni as well and ended up in Banking. the hours are not that good but the money is, these guys actually had a decent post about it.

http://theypzone.com/the-puppy-of-wall-street/
Fair enough, I did Economics at Uni as well and ended up in Banking. the hours are not that good but the money is, these guys actually had a decent post about it.

Haha, well I might have to copy you :tongue:
Thanks for the link, like it already... it's honest and accurate- "how many of you actually know what an investment bank does?"
But yeah, I'll read the rest tomorrow.
(Actually, I do know but only because I had an internship at an investment bank :biggrin:)
Meh, as a single Indian male I'm actually okay with working long hours for the cash, building up my reserves till about 26/27 atleast :tongue:
Haha, well I might have to copy you :tongue:
Thanks for the link, like it already... it's honest and accurate- "how many of you actually know what an investment bank does?"
But yeah, I'll read the rest tomorrow.
(Actually, I do know but only because I had an internship at an investment bank :biggrin:)
Meh, as a single Indian male I'm actually okay with working long hours for the cash, building up my reserves till about 26/27 atleast :tongue:

haha no worries dude! as a pakistani male i understand the struggle, after 27 the aim is to be a property tycoon right haha?
haha no worries dude! as a pakistani male i understand the struggle, after 27 the aim is to be a property tycoon right haha?

Hit the nail on the head :p:D

Do you mind if I ask what uni you finished your degree at?
I don't think it makes you happy, but the things you can buy with the money can improve your quality of life - leading to an improved mental state. Being rich would make you happy if you were very materialistic and didn't value other things (relationships, family etc.)
Original post by x_captaindank_x
yeah other than attracting a gold digging wife :wink: married by 25 and own a house and earning the big bucks

What about gold digging husbands?
Original post by x_captaindank_x

Or men going after "golddiggers." It's a two way thing bro
Original post by ioWolfdinii
Or men going after "golddiggers." It's a two way thing bro

Original post by Fullofsurprises
What about gold digging husbands?

[video="youtube;Tetz6h42fro"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tetz6h42fro[/video]

men arent gold diggers

Quick Reply