The Student Room Group

Earning 6 figures

Scroll to see replies

Men can be golddiggers too G
Original post by serpent666
I don't think it makes you happy, but the things you can buy with the money can improve your quality of life - leading to an improved mental state. Being rich would make you happy if you were very materialistic and didn't value other things (relationships, family etc.)

I agree i think you can definitely be happy without being rich but not having enough money can cause a lot of problems whereas if you have money you can facilitate your needs easier and live a less stressfull life but not necessarily a happier one
Original post by ioWolfdinii
Men can be golddiggers too G

They can be you are right but the truth is a lot of women (not all) look for wealth and status in a man and men look for beauty in women.
Original post by Rahma lollipop
I agree i think you can definitely be happy without being rich but not having enough money can cause a lot of problems whereas if you have money you can facilitate your needs easier and live a less stressfull life but not necessarily a happier one

Definitely agree,, money can't buy love (or real love at least).
Platinum is the new gold .
Original post by GreenSpoon125
What I would give to be able to shop at Waitrose...

Lmao you don't need 6 figures to shop at Waitrose
I guess it is quite posh though
Makes sense to be honest, I believe I saw a study which stated that after a salary of ~$95000, there are diminishing returns with regards to happiness and working towards higher salaries.
Original post by The Relic
They can be you are right but the truth is a lot of women (not all) look for wealth and status in a man and men look for beauty in women.

Exactly, which is why young women go for older guys with money(at times) and older men go for younger women. It's two ways, you wouldn't usually see older men (35+) who would go for older women
Exactly, which is why young women go for older guys with money(at times) and older men go for younger women. It's two ways, you wouldn't usually see older men (35+) who would go for older women

The truth :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by pereira325
It sounds like it. I have heard though getting the first job is the hard bit. There will be a LOT of applications, LOT of rejections, LOT of wasted time doing interviews, online tests, tests at test centers and tests on phones! But once you get your "foot in the door" as they say, the only way is up!!!

Currently at the degree stage but to be honest the money interests me and the whole process seems like a great ride :biggrin:
Can't enjoy the highs as much if you're always on a high!

ehehe same :colone:

Original post by Fullofsurprises
What about gold digging husbands?

Or men going after "golddiggers." It's a two way thing bro

Thats why u find a husband who also cares about money so when u combine salaries BOOM .
(edited 5 years ago)
It really depends on what makes you happy. If you're someone who's all about going on luxurious holidays, buying designer clothes e.t.c., then a 6 figure salary probably will make you very happy. Although, if you're not into that sort of lifestyle and what you really value in life is finding the right partner and spending time with people you care about, then I don't think a 6 figure salary would make much difference to a sufficient 5 figure salary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 31
I don't think it can bring you real love and happiness but it can make being miserable a whole lot easier and gets rid of the anxiety of how you are going to get through the month money wise
It won't make me happy, but it'll make me "happier", if you get what I mean?. Like most of my current issues and my future worries are to do with finance. I feel that if I get that stuff sorted, then I would be worried about other things without being worried about the cost of it. Ya know?
Reply 33
I mean, I think I might be a bit happier if I wasn't going to end up in about 50k of debt for a few years of additional schooling...
Yeah it does to be honest

I would know I'm a ceo who bathes in moet champagne and sleeps with 1000+ instagram models a night

Also Ferrari made me a custom car coated in 24k karat gold, yesterday I paid bill gates 20 billion dollars to pretend to be my dog and got my team of butlers to feed him.
Original post by i have no name
I found an interesting article the other day, how earning 6 figures doesnt really drastically change your lifesetyle!

what are your thoughts guys?

http://theypzone.com/interview-with-a-20-something-earning-6-figures-in-your-20s/

I believe this is true. Money can't make you unhappy obviously, but having a certain amount does not mean you are guaranteed happiness either. I believe someone with less money can be happy or happier than someone with more money purely by appreciating what they do have, that does not involve money - for example family, friends etc. Money cannot get you true love, family, friends etc, and i believe these things are key to true happiness. A lot of money can get you many material goods of course, but material goods only make you happy short-term, but not long-term. For example, as soon as you buy one thing you are tempted to buy something else.
I was going to say, 6 six figures probably doesn't sound like a lot to our generation.

Don't get me wrong, it's way above average but £100k doesn't imply anything spectacular.
Reply 37
Money doesn't make you happy, but it makes it easier to be happy. When you have no money you need to spend alot of your time just trying to survive whereas with money you can outsource the survival bit and instead spend time on doing things specifically for happiness.

I doubt many people here have actually been on either extreme of poor/rich and so will have limited experiences to offer.
Reply 38
Original post by HoldThisL
I was going to say, 6 six figures probably doesn't sound like a lot to our generation.

Don't get me wrong, it's way above average but £100k doesn't imply anything spectacular.

Very true, especially through PAYE. Its a monthly takehome of £5.4k (without pension deducations. Probably closer to £5.2k with a small pension contributions. That really isn't a terrible huge amount, especially in London.
Original post by i have no name
I found an interesting article the other day, how earning 6 figures doesnt really drastically change your lifesetyle!

what are your thoughts guys?

http://theypzone.com/interview-with-a-20-something-earning-6-figures-in-your-20s/

> rich
> earning 6 figures

Pick one mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending