Should Northern Ireland stay in the UK?

Watch
TN9721
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I would like to know your opinion on whether or not Northern Ireland should remain as part of the UK or join the Republic of Ireland.

I personally would like to see Northern Ireland join the Republic of Ireland however, I know there has to be questions answered about things like the NHS etc before such a thing would happen but what's your opinion should we stay or should we go.

I hope I have put this in the right place.

Thanks.
999tigger
Badges: 19
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TN9721)
I would like to know your opinion on whether or not Northern Ireland should remain as part of the UK or join the Republic of Ireland.

I personally would like to see Northern Ireland join the Republic of Ireland however, I know there has to be questions answered about things like the NHS etc before such a thing would happen but what's your opinion should we stay or should we go.

I hope I have put this in the right place.

Thanks.
As long as the majority want to. Probably 2/3 is more practical. If they do leave then they should have the right to come back if another referendum says so.

Cant see what the NHS has to do with it?
TN9721
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I would like to know the opinions of anyone with an opinion about Northern Ireland's place in the UK do you believe it should remain as part of the UK or would you like it to join the Republic of Ireland.

I am from Northern Ireland myself and I personally would like to see Northern Ireland join the Republic of Ireland however, I know there are a lot of questions to be answered on things such as the NHS etc before any such thing would happen but what's your opinion should we stay or should we go?

I hope I have put this discussion in the right place.

Thanks!
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would like Northern Ireland to stay, but I would support the right of them to haven a referendum if the demand allows it.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TN9721)
I would like to know the opinions of anyone with an opinion about Northern Ireland's place in the UK do you believe it should remain as part of the UK or would you like it to join the Republic of Ireland.

I am from Northern Ireland myself and I personally would like to see Northern Ireland join the Republic of Ireland however, I know there are a lot of questions to be answered on things such as the NHS etc before any such thing would happen but what's your opinion should we stay or should we go?

I hope I have put this discussion in the right place.

Thanks!
You would be a Republican (Catholic) then? Loyalists would probably disagree. Loyalists are more British than the British. And if the status quo is broken, violence would be sure to return.
Mr Daily Mail
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Northern Ireland will always be British!

Deep down every Irishman in the Republic knows they are British too!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
to be perfectly honest i see absolutely no reason why it should. Its a blackhole in terms of money and agro. not to mention its run by some vulgar little dinosaurs.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's no real reason why one place should be part of a state with another place. Political boundaries are fairly arbitrary, although people build up a common citizenship and political understanding based around these arbitrary borders. There's really no more sense to suggesting Northern Ireland becomes part of the Republic of Ireland than there is in suggesting England become part of France.

Putting aside the history of Ireland for a moment (and I appreciate there's no greater sin from an Irish/Northern Irish perspective), there are probably more areas of cooperation that could be explored. As the Good Friday Agreement demonstrated, there is scope for forums to discuss cross-border issues - a lot of tedious things like canals and railway lines. If anything, the thoroughly stupid political divide in NI prevents cooperation being as effective as it could be.

The problem with situations like Northern Ireland is that nationalists (whether they be Irish nationalists or British nationalists) tend to arrive at a position first, and only then try to justify it by reference to reality. The OP does this quite clearly: saying he or she wants Irish unification, yet accepts there are questions to answer. The key question, I suppose, is if he/she accepts the problems of creating an all-Ireland state, then why support it? I imagine then we just get into the giant swamp of identity politics.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I’d be against this, you even suggest some of the problems with that anyway.
(Original post by L i b)
There's no real reason why one place should be part of a state with another place. Political boundaries are fairly arbitrary, although people build up a common citizenship and political understanding based around these arbitrary borders. There's really no more sense to suggesting Northern Ireland becomes part of the Republic of Ireland than there is in suggesting England become part of France.

Putting aside the history of Ireland for a moment (and I appreciate there's no greater sin from an Irish/Northern Irish perspective), there are probably more areas of cooperation that could be explored. As the Good Friday Agreement demonstrated, there is scope for forums to discuss cross-border issues - a lot of tedious things like canals and railway lines. If anything, the thoroughly stupid political divide in NI prevents cooperation being as effective as it could be.

The problem with situations like Northern Ireland is that nationalists (whether they be Irish nationalists or British nationalists) tend to arrive at a position first, and only then try to justify it by reference to reality. The OP does this quite clearly: saying he or she wants Irish unification, yet accepts there are questions to answer. The key question, I suppose, is if he/she accepts the problems of creating an all-Ireland state, then why support it? I imagine then we just get into the giant swamp of identity politics.
Essentially agree with this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (152)
55.07%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.42%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.71%

Watched Threads