The Student Room Group

I felt dizzy and found it difficult to breath after running but don't know what to do

I just wanted advice. I went training earlier (I did 5x 150m sprints on a track). which doesn't sound like much but when you are sprinting flat out it does take it out of you. Ive trained for years and years on and off and have never had any issues after exercise.

Today I decided to train as I hadn't done so for a week due to exams etc. A man who I know was there, we don't always get on well but we are kind of friends he coaches some people there. He started to train with me and after 4 sprints I was going to leave it as I felt Id done enough, plus wasn't feeling 100 percent I was on a period lol. With it being athletics he encouraged me to do another one so I did.

A few minutes after id stopped and was walking back I started to feel a bit blurry/dizzy and a little anxious. (I get anxious quite a bit, it takes little to make me feel anxious I've got a bit of a phobia of being sick. Thats one reason why I'm bad at athletics, in competition I'm scared of being sick so won't push myself to that limit). Anyway I started to feel a bit blurry, weak and a little sick to the point where I had to kneel on the floor. Everytime I stood up I went dizzier. I then found it difficult to breath my windpipe felt like it was constricting, in fact I'm sure it was. I could still breath air in but it felt a bit like breathing through a large straw.

I thought that I might die or something was very wrong. I was lying on the floor as this made me feel less dizzy. The man I was with mentioned something about me being a hypochondriac, he said 'i'l leave you to it then' and started to walk off. He turned back and I remember saying in a whiny voice 'I can't breath honestly I think somethings wrong'. I then started to feel a little better and here I am back home lol. It was quite embarrassing really.

Ive ran for 20 years on and off and I've never been that bad, I mean I've felt offish from pushing myself but have never felt as though I couldn't breath like that. The problem is I know that Im a bit neurotic and panic easily so how do I know whether to take these symptoms seriously or not? I text the man after and said 'sorry about before I'm not a nutter just felt dizzy'. He said 'I don't think you're a nutter, just a bit weird, not because of the dizziness'. lol I have dated him in the past and he often said I was weird then, most people just say quirky.

Anyway, should I just forget about it and try to get back to running? It was quite scary I feel like a right wimp probably because I am! I think I actually acted as though I was dying on the track and he would have thought I was pathetic. It was awful though I didn't ever think I was going to recover. Id feel bad about going to the gp though as I've been in the past about various things and everything turned out to be normal. I had anxiety in my early twenties and I don't know how to tell if feelings/symptoms I get are down to anxiety or if there is something wrong etc. What should I do? Carry on training and then if it happens again go the gp?
Reply 1
anyone?
I think you should carry on training honestly it’s happened to me before. I felt like I couldn’t breathe, felt dizzy and I thought I was going to throw up. If you did stop training there is a likely chance of it may occurring again. On your next session try to take it easy, and don’t push yourself as much, and you should be fine 😁

Kindest Regards Shahzeb
Reply 3
Wierd things like this happen from time to time. Let it slide this time but if it happens again definitely seek medical advice.
I had the issue with breathing. I have asthma.
Things like this happen all the time after heavy exercise. It happened to someone I train with the other day.

The fact that you did that extra lap could have just pushed you too far. The fact that you were on your period could have had an effect as well - things like that can be more common around that time.

In short don't worry too much.
Reply 6
Original post by Shahzeb_Khan
I think you should carry on training honestly it’s happened to me before. I felt like I couldn’t breathe, felt dizzy and I thought I was going to throw up. If you did stop training there is a likely chance of it may occurring again. On your next session try to take it easy, and don’t push yourself as much, and you should be fine 😁

Kindest Regards Shahzeb

Thanks, thats reassuring, I was concerned as they say that dizzyness/difficulty breathing after exertion can be a sign of heart problems. Im just going to take the view that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger : /
Reply 7
Original post by independentx
Things like this happen all the time after heavy exercise. It happened to someone I train with the other day.

The fact that you did that extra lap could have just pushed you too far. The fact that you were on your period could have had an effect as well - things like that can be more common around that time.

In short don't worry too much.

Did it get to the point where they felt they they couldn't breath/tight airway? It was weird, I won't think about it too much
Original post by Anonymous
I just wanted advice. I went training earlier (I did 5x 150m sprints on a track). which doesn't sound like much but when you are sprinting flat out it does take it out of you. Ive trained for years and years on and off and have never had any issues after exercise.

Today I decided to train as I hadn't done so for a week due to exams etc. A man who I know was there, we don't always get on well but we are kind of friends he coaches some people there. He started to train with me and after 4 sprints I was going to leave it as I felt Id done enough, plus wasn't feeling 100 percent I was on a period lol. With it being athletics he encouraged me to do another one so I did.

A few minutes after id stopped and was walking back I started to feel a bit blurry/dizzy and a little anxious. (I get anxious quite a bit, it takes little to make me feel anxious I've got a bit of a phobia of being sick. Thats one reason why I'm bad at athletics, in competition I'm scared of being sick so won't push myself to that limit). Anyway I started to feel a bit blurry, weak and a little sick to the point where I had to kneel on the floor. Everytime I stood up I went dizzier. I then found it difficult to breath my windpipe felt like it was constricting, in fact I'm sure it was. I could still breath air in but it felt a bit like breathing through a large straw.

I thought that I might die or something was very wrong. I was lying on the floor as this made me feel less dizzy. The man I was with mentioned something about me being a hypochondriac, he said 'i'l leave you to it then' and started to walk off. He turned back and I remember saying in a whiny voice 'I can't breath honestly I think somethings wrong'. I then started to feel a little better and here I am back home lol. It was quite embarrassing really.

Ive ran for 20 years on and off and I've never been that bad, I mean I've felt offish from pushing myself but have never felt as though I couldn't breath like that. The problem is I know that Im a bit neurotic and panic easily so how do I know whether to take these symptoms seriously or not? I text the man after and said 'sorry about before I'm not a nutter just felt dizzy'. He said 'I don't think you're a nutter, just a bit weird, not because of the dizziness'. lol I have dated him in the past and he often said I was weird then, most people just say quirky.

Anyway, should I just forget about it and try to get back to running? It was quite scary I feel like a right wimp probably because I am! I think I actually acted as though I was dying on the track and he would have thought I was pathetic. It was awful though I didn't ever think I was going to recover. Id feel bad about going to the gp though as I've been in the past about various things and everything turned out to be normal. I had anxiety in my early twenties and I don't know how to tell if feelings/symptoms I get are down to anxiety or if there is something wrong etc. What should I do? Carry on training and then if it happens again go the gp?

Don't think we needed a paragraph about the man and you dating but ok
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

Hmm. Firstly, running after a while can be a bit challenging for the human body to cope with. You say you were on your period at the time and tbh, it's normal for you not to feel like yourself when on your period so that could easily be contributing to the dizziness. Perhaps, because you were so worried you would be sick, you focused on it a lot and forgot the breath. (Yes, Ik breathing is involuntary but you have to sometimes actively remember to do it). If you choose to run again, try and ease yourself in - perhaps, a little jog as a warm up and then, one lap. Then when you return again to running, you could progressively overload yourself. The anxiousness is probably also a contributing factor - ESPECIALLY, because you dated this guy. Don't let it bog you down but if this continues, please seek medical attention because it's better safe than sorry and STOP CALLING YOURSELF A WIMP BC YOU'RE NOT! Hope I helped x

Quick Reply

Latest