Is it wrong for young children to wear the hijab? Watch

Act of War
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i was on the bus yesterday and saw a family get on. one of the kids must have been about 5 or 6 years old and had a hijab on. i thought this was strange that kids that young would be required to wear it

as a child that young, you are still learning about the world and have little decision making skills about what it is you are doing, kids do things to follow their parents. there is no way they can fully understand the meaning of it.

Muslims can believe in whatever they want but is it wrong for parents to make their young children wear religious garments? interested in a discussion.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Should any parent be able to impose a religion on their child? If the answer is yes then it's hard to quibble over the details of the religious practices they then impose.
Nil Admirari
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If male circumcision of a baby is fine because of religion then who can judge a kid with a hijab. One problem at a time.
ayyyy.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For some families, children at a young age are given a choice if they want to start wearing a hijab that early but it depends on how strict the family is. For some, girls should not be allowed to show their hair after the age of 12 but for others it has to be as soon as their hair start to grow and is more evident. For you it might seem wrong or weird but if you have been brought up to understand how religion works at an early stage then the child won't really argue against what their parents want them to wear and etc.
Rahma lollipop
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A parent should never force their child who is really young to wear a Hijab as they definitely dont need to but sometimes small kids actually like to because they see their mother wearing it i mean which little kid doesnt want to be like their mum. My lillte sister is 5 and she loves wearing Hijab sometimes because her family does. in islam children are supposed to know about religious matters to an extent so they are prepared for when they are old enough
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends, might be part of school uniform? However, as for Islamic rulings the hijab becomes an obligation once puberty is reached.
Know Your Enemy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a fair poinjt but questioning this would open the debate of whether or not it's acceptable to raise children religious, period. Should Christians, for example, take their children to Sunday school?
yusyus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think its fine, I mean you have to control what your children wear to an extent if you feel a hijab is essential for modesty then that's your provocative
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
Should any parent be able to impose a religion on their child? If the answer is yes then it's hard to quibble over the details of the religious practices they then impose.
Oh don't be silly. Not all religious practices are created equal. Even if you hate all religions you must be able to acknowledge that there is a difference between Baptising an infant and (hypothetically) a religious practice of infanticide.

You can agree with the freedom to raise cuoldr not in a religious tradition without agreeing with all possible things that could be done to children in the name of religion
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by limetang)
Oh don't be silly...
Thanks. I said 'hard to' not 'impossible'. I stand by this, anything short of illegality is indeed difficult to challenge no matter how much the rest of us think it is inappropriate or harmful.
globglogabgalab
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually have seen that happen before. As a muslim myself , i feel like the children should have at least been taught what they will go through if they wear a hijab at a young age , however , it is the parents choice, although they are really young , its religion. its not an essential garment but many parents think it is, i guess they will have a choice once theyre older
globglogabgalab
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by adamantacademic)
Depends, might be part of school uniform? However, as for Islamic rulings the hijab becomes an obligation once puberty is reached.
school uniform?
u mad
where
??
never seen this before
kyungsoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont think children should be made to wear it bc they dont even kno what its for. The hijab is mainly to avert the male gaze and so sexualizes hair, making a child wear it is just wrong.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most young children arent made to wear it but either way what do you care? :s
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No; but since delusions on a massive scale are granted special rights instead of medication and hospitalisation, this is the result.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let them do what they like, who the hell cares
Badgersforlyf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's currently Ramadan maybe this is why
Badgersforlyf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is currently Ramadan, maybe this is why but most importantly its a choice for those people
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hateocracy)
i was on the bus yesterday and saw a family get on. one of the kids must have been about 5 or 6 years old and had a hijab on. i thought this was strange that kids that young would be required to wear it

as a child that young, you are still learning about the world and have little decision making skills about what it is you are doing, kids do things to follow their parents. there is no way they can fully understand the meaning of it.

Muslims can believe in whatever they want but is it wrong for parents to make their young children wear religious garments? interested in a discussion.
Well, as a Muslim myself, I disagree with young girls wearing the Hijab (especially at 5/6!). In Islam, a girl is required to cover her hair ONLY after she passes puberty BUT no one can force her to; it's her own choice!

At the same time, however, some critics might argue if it's right or wrong for 5/6 year old girls to wear dresses/skirts that reveal too much skin or have excessive make up put on them..meh, 2 sides of every argument I suppose.
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yusyus)
I think its fine, I mean you have to control what your children wear to an extent if you feel a hijab is essential for modesty then that's your provocative
At the tender age of 5 or 6 one hardly requires a hijab for 'modesty'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (73)
59.84%
Yes- I don't like it (7)
5.74%
No- I want it (35)
28.69%
No- I don't want it (7)
5.74%

Watched Threads