Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how are BTEC's looked upon by universities? i know that they are worth the equivalent of 2 a levels. if the course relevent to the course that you want to do are they ok? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it completely depends on what sort of course you want to do, so what stuff are you interested in / at which universities?

ReputationRep:
    Well i didn't think the russel group took many people on with BTECs but my mate got an unconditional offer at the university of Leeds dor music with a DDD btec in music technology

ReputationRep:
    In the prospectus, they don't include it but you can find out what your mark is worth using the table. But they accpet them the same as A-Levels. I got in by getting a DDD in a BTEC diploma, instead of A-Levels. I think providing the course was relevent to the uni course you want to do, they will accept. (Mine was Applied Science, and I'm doing Forensic Science)

ReputationRep:
    Generally its harder to get into better uni's with a btec courses as most of them are academic driven. Btec's are not very academic therefore dont do that well, having said that it is still possible to get into some great unis if you have a high predicted grade.

Universities vary as some uni's dont like btec while some can be more favourable towards them. Regardless if you are looking to get into some good uni's you have to be hitting the DDD.

For example with me, Queen Mary rejected my application even though I was predicted a DDM and had work experience as a junior programmer but Nottingham university only ask for a DMM for there computer science course and its a russel group uni. But apart from notts its a tough ride.

Be sure to look carefully at all the minimum requirements for your uni course on the ucas website as thats what uni's stick to and there is no leeway.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.