Could someone please mark and suggest improvements in my Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde essay?

Watch
jadeb456
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How does Stevenson explore the theme of dreams and nightmares in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde*?

In Chapter 2, Stevenson introduces the theme of dreams and nightmares through he litrary devices such as the motifs the boogeyman, lamp and the door. When Mr Utterson retells Hyde's encounter with the young girl in his dream the use of the concrete nouns such as ‘darkness’ and the verb ‘enslaved’ reveals that he is forced to think about Hyde which shows the entrapment of Utterson in his own dream. Stevenson deliberately enlightens Utterson through the use of the dream sequence to evoke a terrifying gloomy atmsphere to the reader to unveil the theme of the boogeyman in Mr Hyde and how is an extended metaphor of our ‘unconscious mind’.

In addition Utterson’s living life is seen to be going through terror and anxiety due to the mystery of Hyde’s physical state. This is illustrated as Hyde is seen as a ‘faceless man’ which enhances the theme of the boogeyman being Mr Hyde. Stevenson purposefully uses this theme to unveil that Hyde is a significant symbol of our deepest fears that is everywhere physically and psychologically. This therefore links to the theme of nighmares as it creates a sense of terror and heightens the danger of Hyde.

The idea of dreams and nightmares perhaps links to Stevenson’s background as after this gothic novella he published a book called ‘the chapter of dreams’ which talks about Stevenson’s childhood of him frequently having nightmares. Stevenson’s life also consisted of him taking drugs , such as ‘ergotamine’ due to his suffering of tuberculosis. This caused him to have hallucinations which perhaps was inspired from the novella. Stevenson included his hallucinations in this novella thus creating a unique, sinister and unforgettable result . Furthermore Stevenson deliberately does this to reveal our omnious unconscious mind and the undeniable impact of dreams and nightmares.

In Chapter 9 , Hyde is illustrated as a physical embodiment of a living nightmare . This is mostly presented when Lanyon describes him as ‘ like a man restored from death’ . Lanyon proceeds to use similies and other negative language to describe the tramatizing metamorphosis from Hyde to Jekyll . Hyde to Jekyll that he ‘denied the virtue of transcendental medicine.’ Such blamable and resentful language introduces Stevenson’s personal beliefs upon the Victorian society and their limited beliefs. Throughout the novella Hyde is described as inhuman ranging from an ‘ape-like’ character to possesing ‘devillish’ qualities, however the theme of dreams play a prominent role in the novella, not only in Utterson but also Lanyon. This indicates that Hyde is not only a physical nightmare but also a psychological nightmare unto any man he interacts with.

Stevenson uses particular concrete nouns like; ‘church’, ‘lamps’ and ‘Juggernaut’ . This is because he attempts to evoke a ‘real city’ of streets but also suggest its dream-like qualities. Furthermore ‘church’ and ‘ Juggernaut’ have religious connotations, the church a place for safety in religion and comfort but a ‘Juggernaut’ is a reference to an evil Hindu God. The use of the juxtaposition creates a sense of confusion in the reader which overall heightens the horror of Mr Hyde but also the mystery in the novella.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hiya :hello:

i've moved this thread to the english exams and study help forum

I doubt that many people will mark it for you - can't you just ask a teacher?
jadeb456
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
hiya :hello:

i've moved this thread to the english exams and study help forum

I doubt that many people will mark it for you - can't you just ask a teacher?
thanks , i would but my english lit exam is on Tuesday and i dont have any exams on Monday and i'm staying at home to revise so yh lol
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jadeb456)
thanks , i would but my english lit exam is on Tuesday and i dont have any exams on Monday and i'm staying at home to revise so yh lol
have you tried emailing your teacher?
Lukes1268
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What you have is good so far; my only suggestion would be the bit where you have spoken about Stevenson and his hallucinations... you need to consider the impact on the reader. Youve explained why Stevenson wrote in the manner that he did, but whats the impact on the reader? Do we empathise with him? What do you think he wanted the audience to feel, id look abit more at social context there of what was going on at the time.Sorry i cant elaborate more its years since I did Stevenson
jadeb456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lukes1268)
What you have is good so far; my only suggestion would be the bit where you have spoken about Stevenson and his hallucinations... you need to consider the impact on the reader. Youve explained why Stevenson wrote in the manner that he did, but whats the impact on the reader? Do we empathise with him? What do you think he wanted the audience to feel, id look abit more at social context there of what was going on at the time.Sorry i cant elaborate more its years since I did Stevenson

oh ok thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%