Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just really don't understand the concepts of stiffness, toughness, elasticity and brittle in stress/strain graphs. How do I know when something is more/less brittle than another, and is stiffness just to do with the steepness of the line. Also, if the gradient is curved, is it more elastic than a straight line?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    stiffness is the ability of an object to resist extension when a force is applied to it. the higher the stiffness, the lower the extension when the same magnitude of force is applied to another material of a lower stiffness. stiffness is also the spring constant in hookes law.

Think of a stress(y)-strain(X) graph. if the gradient is high, the object experiences a lot of force but doesn't extend much so it has a high stiffness.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    stiffness is the ability of an object to resist extension when a force is applied to it. the higher the stiffness, the lower the extension when the same magnitude of force is applied to another material of a lower stiffness. stiffness is also the spring constant in hookes law.

Think of a stress(y)-strain(X) graph. if the gradient is high, the object experiences a lot of force but doesn't extend much so it has a high stiffness.
    Thank you! Can you please explain how I know if a material is ductile/ plastic?

ReputationRep:
    physics exams are over tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aceplayyt)
    aqa alevel hasn't even started

people sit different exams you know

ReputationRep:
    aqa alevel hasn't even started

people sit different exams you know
    oh rip thought all the boards were on the same date

ReputationRep:
    oh rip thought all the boards were on the same date
    Yup, i have all 9 exams this june.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no this is an internal for my first year, I'm takingg the full A level( it's bloody awful tho, at 100 minutes for 50 multiple choice and 1 long answer...

ReputationRep:
    damn good luck Im lucky mine were split 5 in may and 5 in june

ReputationRep:
    Ductile - Material will undergo a lot of strain for a very small amount of stress

ReputationRep:
    9 exams!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17)
    Ductile - Material will undergo a lot of strain for a very small amount of stress
    Thank you! Does the material have to have a bendy region? Like is it considered ductile/ plastic after the limit of proportionality is passed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! If something is ductile, it undergoes plastic deformation when it is drawn out.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.