Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just really don't understand the concepts of stiffness, toughness, elasticity and brittle in stress/strain graphs. How do I know when something is more/less brittle than another, and is stiffness just to do with the steepness of the line. Also, if the gradient is curved, is it more elastic than a straight line?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    stiffness is the ability of an object to resist extension when a force is applied to it. the higher the stiffness, the lower the extension when the same magnitude of force is applied to another material of a lower stiffness. stiffness is also the spring constant in hookes law.

Think of a stress(y)-strain(X) graph. if the gradient is high, the object experiences a lot of force but doesn't extend much so it has a high stiffness.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    stiffness is the ability of an object to resist extension when a force is applied to it. the higher the stiffness, the lower the extension when the same magnitude of force is applied to another material of a lower stiffness. stiffness is also the spring constant in hookes law.

Think of a stress(y)-strain(X) graph. if the gradient is high, the object experiences a lot of force but doesn't extend much so it has a high stiffness.
    Thank you! Can you please explain how I know if a material is ductile/ plastic?

ReputationRep:
    physics exams are over tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aceplayyt)
    aqa alevel hasn't even started

people sit different exams you know

ReputationRep:
    aqa alevel hasn't even started

people sit different exams you know
    oh rip thought all the boards were on the same date

ReputationRep:
    oh rip thought all the boards were on the same date
    Yup, i have all 9 exams this june.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no this is an internal for my first year, I'm takingg the full A level( it's bloody awful tho, at 100 minutes for 50 multiple choice and 1 long answer...

ReputationRep:
    damn good luck Im lucky mine were split 5 in may and 5 in june

ReputationRep:
    Ductile - Material will undergo a lot of strain for a very small amount of stress

ReputationRep:
    9 exams!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17)
    Ductile - Material will undergo a lot of strain for a very small amount of stress
    Thank you! Does the material have to have a bendy region? Like is it considered ductile/ plastic after the limit of proportionality is passed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! If something is ductile, it undergoes plastic deformation when it is drawn out.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.