louise672287
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I'm thinking of doing an open university degree in maybe health sciences and forensic psychology and I'm just wondering how you go about joint degrees. Will you do the same modules and the same amount of credit for both of the degrees as if you were to get double the work or would you do half the amount of credits on each course? Quite confused about it. I really hope this question made sense
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by louise672287)
Okay so I'm thinking of doing an open university degree in maybe health sciences and forensic psychology and I'm just wondering how you go about joint degrees. Will you do the same modules and the same amount of credit for both of the degrees as if you were to get double the work or would you do half the amount of credits on each course? Quite confused about it. I really hope this question made sense
The OU has a certain number of 'named' degrees (e.g. BA English, BA History, BSc Psychology, BSc Health Sciences etc) - if you want to study two subjects that are not available in a 'named' combination, such as Forensic Psychology and Health Sciences, then you would need to do the BA/BSc Open degree. The Open degree allows you to take modules in any subject, so you can construct your own joint degree by taking 60 credits from each subject at each stage:

E.g, you could do:

Stage 1:
Science and health: an evidence-based approach (SDK100)
Investigating psychology 1 (DE100)

Stage 2:
Human biology (SK299)
Practical science: biology and health (SXHL288)
Investigating psychology 2 (DE200)

Stage 3:
Infectious disease and public health (SK320)
Researching biology and health science (SXL390)
Counselling and forensic psychology: investigating crime and therapy (DD310)

The modules are the same no mater which degree you are registered on, same amount of work, same number of credits, you would just do less health science/psychology modules than the people registered on a single-subject degree.
louise672287
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
The OU has a certain number of 'named' degrees (e.g. BA English, BA History, BSc Psychology, BSc Health Sciences etc) - if you want to study two subjects that are not available in a 'named' combination, such as Forensic Psychology and Health Sciences, then you would need to do the BA/BSc Open degree. The Open degree allows you to take modules in any subject, so you can construct your own joint degree by taking 60 credits from each subject at each stage:

E.g, you could do:

Stage 1:
Science and health: an evidence-based approach (SDK100)
Investigating psychology 1 (DE100)

Stage 2:
Human biology (SK299)
Practical science: biology and health (SXHL288)
Investigating psychology 2 (DE200)

Stage 3:
Infectious disease and public health (SK320)
Researching biology and health science (SXL390)
Counselling and forensic psychology: investigating crime and therapy (DD310)

The modules are the same no mater which degree you are registered on, same amount of work, same number of credits, you would just do less health science/psychology modules than the people registered on a single-subject degree.
Woah I was not expecting such a good answer, thank you! That was so useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (169)
58.48%
I don't have everything I need (120)
41.52%

Watched Threads