ReputationRep:
    Look up how to form quadratic sequences
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apaul322)
    Find a formula, in terms of n, for the nth term of the sequence:

1, –3, 5, –7, 9,.....
    Compare with the sequence 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
    The nth term of this one is 2n-1. So this needs to be multiplied by (-1) every term.
    So let's try (-1)^n * (2n-1)
    When n=1, (-1)^1*(2(1)-1) = -1
    So we got -1 when we want 1. So let's try (-1)^(n-1) * (2n-1). This seems to work since it's the odd numbers which switch between positive and negative

So the nth term is (-1)^(n-1) * (2n-1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    it's not quadratic

:beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    This one isn't quadratic since the second difference isn't the same. Since it constantly switches between positive and negative, it's an alternating sequence.

ReputationRep:

1, –3, 5, –7, 9,.....
    So basically use the formula: a+d(n-1)
    A= the first term
    D=the difference
    N=the sequence number.
    So for example: 2,5,8,11...(+3)
    #to calculate the 11th term:
    2+3(11-1)
    =2+30
    =32
    #to calculate the nth term
    2+3(n-1)
    2+3n-3
    =3n-1
    BUT this formula is for the basic sepuences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash.Nasa)
    So basically use the formula: a+d(n-1)
    A= the first term
    D=the difference
    N=the sequence number.
    So for example: 2,5,8,11...(+3)
    #to calculate the 11th term:
    2+3(11-1)
    =2+30
    =32
    #to calculate the nth term
    2+3(n-1)
    2+3n-3
    =3n-1
    BUT this formula is for the basic sepuences
    Yeah this isn't an arithmetic sequence, there is no common difference, so unfortunately that formula won't work here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3pointonefour)
    Compare with the sequence 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
    The nth term of this one is 2n-1. So this needs to be multiplied by (-1) every term.
    So let's try (-1)^n * (2n-1)
    When n=1, (-1)^1*(2(1)-1) = -1
    So we got -1 when we want 1. So let's try (-1)^(n-1) * (2n-1). This seems to work since it's the odd numbers which switch between positive and negative

So the nth term is (-1)^(n-1) * (2n-1)
    got it now thankss

ReputationRep:
    got it now thankss
    No problem

ReputationRep:

1, –3, 5, –7, 9,.....
    By inspection we have an alternating sign which is encoded via a factor  (-1)^n , then the sequence is just increasing by 2 each time so: (-1)^n \cdot (2n) , but then the sequence beginning at n = 0 is 1 so:

a_n = (-1)^n \cdot (2n + 1)

n = 0, 1, \dots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanzmw)
    By inspection we have an alternating sign which is encoded via a factor  (-1)^n , then the sequence is just increasing by 2 each time so: (-1)^n \cdot (2n) , but then the sequence beginning at n = 0 is 1 so:

a_n = (-1)^n \cdot (2n + 1)

n = 0, 1, \dots
    Doesn't an nth term, by definition, start at n = 1?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't an nth term, by definition, start at n = 1?
    Not always, in fact in my experience series tend to begin at 0 more often than at 1. Though should you be required to begin at 1 then it's just a simple matter of rewriting (n-1) where the n's are.

ReputationRep:
    Not always, in fact in my experience series tend to begin at 0 more often than at 1. Though should you be required to begin at 1 then it's just a simple matter of rewriting (n-1) where the n's are.
    I see. Can you give me examples from experience when series start at 0? I don't doubt you, I'm just genuinely interested to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Can you give me examples from experience when series start at 0? I don't doubt you, I'm just genuinely interested to learn.
    Aaah well just in my experience of analysis and in numerical analysis formulae we tend to begin sequences with n = 0. One especially good reason for getting into the habit of thinking like this is if you do any computer programming (which is bound to be a part of any maths/physics/engineering degree) you'll find that computers keep lists with indices beginning at 0. So working with the notion that sequences begin with n = 0 tends to make everything simpler in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Aaah well just in my experience of analysis and in numerical analysis formulae we tend to begin sequences with n = 0. One especially good reason for getting into the habit of thinking like this is if you do any computer programming (which is bound to be a part of any maths/physics/engineering degree) you'll find that computers keep lists with indices beginning at 0. So working with the notion that sequences begin with n = 0 tends to make everything simpler in my opinion.
    Oh wow! It makes sense since many programming languages use zero-based forms of counting. Thanks! Are you studying at
    undergraduate level then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow! It makes sense since many programming languages use zero-based forms of counting. Thanks! Are you studying at
    undergraduate level then?
    I mean it really doesn't matter than much, it's like some people consider the natural numbers to include 0, others don't.

Yep message me if you want to ask anything about the material!

ReputationRep:
    I mean it really doesn't matter than much, it's like some people consider the natural numbers to include 0, others don't.

Yep message me if you want to ask anything about the material!
    What degree are you studying for? And how big is the jump from A-level to uni in terms of content? Is there more emphasis on different stuff etc.

ReputationRep:
    What degree are you studying for? And how big is the jump from A-level to uni in terms of content? Is there more emphasis on different stuff etc.
    I'm studying for a Mmath (i.e. 4 year maths). A-level to first year isn't a huge jump provided you do further maths and remember the content. The only parts of first year that people struggle with is real analysis (which is not bad once you get used to doing pure maths) and even showing up to the lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying for a Mmath (i.e. 4 year maths). A-level to first year isn't a huge jump provided you do further maths and remember the content. The only parts of first year that people struggle with is real analysis (which is not bad once you get used to doing pure maths) and even showing up to the lectures.
    Anything you recommend for reading/learning? I'm in year 11 but ive self taught A-level maths and FM. Not sure where to go from there. Any advice on what to do to learn more maths?

ReputationRep:
    Anything you recommend for reading/learning? I'm in year 11 but ive self taught A-level maths and FM. Not sure where to go from there. Any advice on what to do to learn more maths?
    A good book is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-Un.../dp/1848002890

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.