The Student Room Group

Physics A level

I‘m doing science trilogy at GCSE and I’m wondering if doing triple science/ individual science would’ve been better since I’ve decided I want to do physics at A level. I’m in year 11 so it’s obviously too late to change but will I be at a disadvantage because I didn’t do physics as a separate science? I’m worried about not understanding things that people who did triple science will already know about.
Original post by Jasmin8462
I‘m doing science trilogy at GCSE and I’m wondering if doing triple science/ individual science would’ve been better since I’ve decided I want to do physics at A level. I’m in year 11 so it’s obviously too late to change but will I be at a disadvantage because I didn’t do physics as a separate science? I’m worried about not understanding things that people who did triple science will already know about.

People, including me, forget everything about GCSEs during summer and it doesn't provide much of an advantage for Physics at A-level for that reason, unless you go over stuff a week or two before term starts which is what I advise you do. You can cover the triple science part of Physics by yourself, as well as recapping other stuff, and you'll be fine
Reply 2

Basically, everything you learn about science at GCSE is wrong
(Sort of)

As far as I know, doing Combined Science or whatever it's called now will not put you at any disadvantage. There are quite a few people at my school who are studying Biology and Chemistry at A-Level after having done Double Science as my school doesn't even offer Triple. As long as you're willing to put in the effort, you should be fine.

I think the only real overlap is electricity, trust me when you get to a level all of the gcse stuff will look so basic it really wont mattter
Original post by IDOZ
(Sort of)

I think you are a bit "too extreme". :smile:
Original post by IDOZ
(Sort of)

Commonly said and commonly false. Its not wrong its just INCREDIBLY basic compared to actual science. Physics being a particular one here.

Quick Reply