Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've decided that I'd like to become a primary teacher and I'm looking into doing the Open University BA in primary education studies and enroll in time to start in October.

I was wondering if anyone has done this degree (or currently doing it) and if they would recommend it? I've looked at all the info on the website and the prospectus and I'm really keen to learn all the modules as it seems like a great degree, I just want to be sure that it's a good degree to have when I eventually apply for a PGDE place (potentially at Moray House in Edinburgh as I live here).

Basically any info from anyone who's studied /studying it, would be great. Or if anyone on here is thinking of doing it when it starts in October then say hello!

Thanks for reading! 🙂

ReputationRep:
    I’m just finishing my first year and so far so good! I’m completing it full-time (2 modules each year) and it can sometimes be difficult to get motivated with distance learning but as long as you manage that well you will be fine. The level one modules cover childhood psychology ( development, attachment etc) and an introduction to education in primary years (different roles, approaches to learning, introduction to different curriculum areas). I think it’s a great course and I’ve been in touch with various unis to make sure it’s a qualifying degree for PGCE, and it is😊You do have to arrange your own placement though for observations and experience, which can be quite time consuming and frustrating, but it’s worth it in the end. I volunteer one day a week at a local primary school and that suits just fine. I’d say go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caseye98)
    I’m just finishing my first year and so far so good! I’m completing it full-time (2 modules each year) and it can sometimes be difficult to get motivated with distance learning but as long as you manage that well you will be fine. The level one modules cover childhood psychology ( development, attachment etc) and an introduction to education in primary years (different roles, approaches to learning, introduction to different curriculum areas). I think it’s a great course and I’ve been in touch with various unis to make sure it’s a qualifying degree for PGCE, and it is😊You do have to arrange your own placement though for observations and experience, which can be quite time consuming and frustrating, but it’s worth it in the end. I volunteer one day a week at a local primary school and that suits just fine. I’d say go for it!!
    That's awesome, thanks for replying! I enrolled the other day (need to get my funding sorted but that should be fine), so glad to hear it's a good degree to do. Good luck with finishing first year! 😊

ReputationRep:
    I’m thinking of doing this too from Oct but concerned with distance learning I won’t be able to achieve the 2:2 I need for PGCE. What is the workload like as I would like to complete in 3 yrs too
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Cherry Beccles)
    Hi there,

I've decided that I'd like to become a primary teacher and I'm looking into doing the Open University BA in primary education studies and enroll in time to start in October.

I was wondering if anyone has done this degree (or currently doing it) and if they would recommend it? I've looked at all the info on the website and the prospectus and I'm really keen to learn all the modules as it seems like a great degree, I just want to be sure that it's a good degree to have when I eventually apply for a PGDE place (potentially at Moray House in Edinburgh as I live here).

Basically any info from anyone who's studied /studying it, would be great. Or if anyone on here is thinking of doing it when it starts in October then say hello!

Thanks for reading! 🙂
    Hi! One of our students at the University of Northampton studied BA Education Studies and started her own charity at the same time. Have a read here: http://bit.ly/BethelUoN

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.