Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should I work at McDonald's
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I work in a London maccies + honestly it depends. You get over the initial embarrassment, most of my friends are actually jealous that I'm earning above minimum wage (because I work in a central London one) + a good amount for my age (I'm 17).

It can kill you mentally/physically. Customers are RUDE, but not as badly as I thought they would be. Usually, they get annoyed if your order takes too long or you mess it up/overcharge them (you have to accept that you'll make mistakes even a few months into the job). It's annoying because it's not my fault (the whole order taking long), because I'm not the one preparing the food. In the end, you'll never see them again so I get over it.

Management can be a problem, and it usually is. There are tons of managers, but the head of them all at my location is cool and very nice, so thats all that matters to me. One manager obviously hates me for some reason, so she makes me do the jobs she knows I won't like. I wasn't trained very well, so I still make mistakes 6 months into the job. You get blamed a lot and you take a lot of ****, but it's part of the job and tbh I just don't care.

If you have any specific questions just ask. It can be good as there are a lot of people around your age, and the pay is actually good if you work in C.London. But there are some very obvious downsides to it, but at the end you're there to earn money, so I just work and go and try to stay out of drama because it's just not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    What about the role of a customer assistant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dija51)
    What about the role of a customer assistant?
    Crew member: work on tills, kitchen.
    Customer Assistant: clean tables, clean toilets, clean floors etc. You get paid more though. Sometimes if its super busy and there aren't that many employees there, they might make the customer assistant go in the kitchen/on tills. Not your main role though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cramscrabs)
    Customer Assistant: clean tables, clean toilets, clean floors etc. You get paid more though. Sometimes if its super busy and there aren't that many employees there, they might make the customer assistant go in the kitchen/on tills. Not your main role though.
    Is it a difficult job to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star111)
    Is it a difficult job to have?
    It depends. I worked as a crew member so being in the kitchen but HATED it when I was asked to be a customer assistant for an hour or two. It's only difficult when it gets busy but honestly sometimes you want that so time flies by.

It's personal opinion whether you think it's difficult or not because I loved it being difficult, it was something to do on shift. But you control so much of your own work life regarding hours and all that stuff, that it's actually a really good place to work.

ReputationRep:
    interview
    (Original post by tamwebster2)
    It depends. I worked as a crew member so being in the kitchen but HATED it when I was asked to be a customer assistant for an hour or two. It's only difficult when it gets busy but honestly sometimes you want that so time flies by.

It's personal opinion whether you think it's difficult or not because I loved it being difficult, it was something to do on shift. But you control so much of your own work life regarding hours and all that stuff, that it's actually a really good place to work.
    Fantastic, thanks! Any tips for the interview stage and how long it takes to get hired?

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself, it's not a difficult interview stage but I was interviewed for a brand new store on a motorway service station so i'm not sure how long it takes for a normal store. They ask you a few safety/customer service questions etc the usual and then it took me roughly a week to hear back and i was straight into training! Good luck, i'm sure you'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamwebster2)
    Just be yourself, it's not a difficult interview stage but I was interviewed for a brand new store on a motorway service station so i'm not sure how long it takes for a normal store. They ask you a few safety/customer service questions etc the usual and then it took me roughly a week to hear back and i was straight into training! Good luck, i'm sure you'll do great.
    Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cramscrabs)
    I agree.
    They pay is decent too. In fact i was paid more an hour there than a nursery i was also working at (before i went back to mcdonalds full time).
    And working there has prepared me well for where i work now. I now work in a despatch office in a warehouse, dealing with the drivers that come in. I find that im well prepared to deal with any drivers that get arsey etc thanks to my years at mcdonalds.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.