Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am quite a big size compare to the others so I never tried to shop in ladies but in gent's because I fear I can't find a clothes that suits me... but now, my friends persuade me to go into female/women fashion because they say I afterall is a girl... not boy... I can't wear those boy's clothes for the whole life... so I am now trying to know about these women's clothes... I am now 19/20... I found my size of shirts as L/XL in girl's clothes... L is more of just the exact size... while XL has some space... so which one is better?

And does the number of boy's trousers same as girls?

ReputationRep:
    fitted L and girls trousers have space for your hips and cup your bum way better than any male ones! You may need the size smaller too, just experiment! Good luck, maybe post some before and after photos for us? xxx

ReputationRep:
    i usually wear baggy trousers for male trousers.... so probably i need smaller for girls one?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because you need a bigger size male pant to fit your hips right? That was the case for me, had the same waist size
    as the male jeans but having womanly hips forced me to move up a size.

ReputationRep:
    I think rather than trying to buy new clothes in your current size, you should exercise and diet (healthily of course) to reduce your weight. Then you'll feel SO much better treating your new body to new stuff. That's what I did anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes sizes aren't an exact science, just try lots of things on. Also, I'd get a bra fitted so you know your exact size, a good bra is priceless.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above posters.
    It really is best to try things on and see which looks best. I think it'd be best to take a friend you can trust along, that way they can give you their opinion on which fits nicely etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I think rather than trying to buy new clothes in your current size, you should exercise and diet (healthily of course) to reduce your weight. Then you'll feel SO much better treating your new body to new stuff. That's what I did anyway.
    And should she carry on wearing unflattering clothes in the meantime? Please. Putting off buying nice clothes until you've reached some "perfect weight" is bull****, and just makes you unhappier in the meantime. She may not even want to lose weight - indeed, it's not a given that she's unhealthily fat, it may just be that she has a large frame.

Mafer, in response to your specific questions: Go for the size that you think flatters you the most at the moment. Since you're trying to steer away from baggy boyish clothes, perhaps go for the more fitted options - but before you start buying anything in earnest, make sure you're wearing the right bra size. Get fitted properly somewhere. Having the right bra can make a massive difference to your appearance - your posture and figure can be improved drastically.

Secondly, re: the trousers, I don't know how the sizes work where you are, but generally the numbers be different. Girls' trousers tend to come in 'dress sizes' (10, 12, 14, etc) whereas men's trousers tend to come in inch measurements: but even when you do find girls' trousers with inch measurements, the same number won't necessarily signify the same fit, as a) girls' trousers are differently shaped from boys' and b) they may come up higher or lower on the body.

Good luck! I second the motion for some before/after pictures so we can see you blossom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hel)
    And should she carry on wearing unflattering clothes in the meantime? Please. Putting off buying nice clothes until you've reached some "perfect weight" is bull****, and just makes you unhappier in the meantime. She may not even want to lose weight - indeed, it's not a given that she's unhealthily fat, it may just be that she has a large frame.

Mafer, in response to your specific questions: Go for the size that you think flatters you the most at the moment. Since you're trying to steer away from baggy boyish clothes, perhaps go for the more fitted options - but before you start buying anything in earnest, make sure you're wearing the right bra size. Get fitted properly somewhere. Having the right bra can make a massive difference to your appearance - your posture and figure can be improved drastically.

Secondly, re: the trousers, I don't know how the sizes work where you are, but generally the numbers be different. Girls' trousers tend to come in 'dress sizes' (10, 12, 14, etc) whereas men's trousers tend to come in inch measurements: but even when you do find girls' trousers with inch measurements, the same number won't necessarily signify the same fit, as a) girls' trousers are differently shaped from boys' and b) they may come up higher or lower on the body.

Good luck! I second the motion for some before/after pictures so we can see you blossom
    Well, I'm just talking from the perspective of someone who went through the process. For the frst five months of my weight loss regime when I lost the first two stones (this was summer and autumn 06) I just lived in M&S basic (you know the ones that are a fiver?) tee shirts, two pairs of jeans and I had maybe 3 going out outfits. THEN I treated myself (and still do - lots D !) and at the same time worked to slowely shift the last stone.

I'm 'large-framed' too. Yes, there is a chance she could have big-bones, but if she's worrying that ladies' shops don't stock her size then that's more than a large frame IMO. The OP doesn't seem that content with her shape from her tone. I was just suggesting what I think's the best way to go about things. She'll be healthier at the end of the day and will have a great new wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Well, I'm just talking from the perspective of someone who went through the process. For the frst five months of my weight loss regime when I lost the first two stones (this was summer and autumn 06) I just lived in M&S basic (you know the ones that are a fiver?) tee shirts, two pairs of jeans and I had maybe 3 going out outfits. THEN I treated myself (and still do - lots D !) and at the same time worked to slowely shift the last stone.

I'm 'large-framed' too. Yes, there is a chance she could have big-bones, but if she's worrying that ladies' shops don't stock her size then that's more than a large frame IMO. The OP doesn't seem that content with her shape from her tone. I was just suggesting what I think's the best way to go about things. She'll be healthier at the end of the day and will have a great new wardrobe.
    I'm sorry if I came across as a bit defensive - this forum has a way of doing that to me sometimes... Very well done for doing that, and healthily, and actually making it stick - but a lot of people don't manage to follow a regime in that way, and I just hate seeing people wearing clothes they clearly hate because they're "not thin enough yet" to buy new clothes they actually enjoy wearing. I know quite a few people who do this, and it just seems like they're missing the point - they're losing weight to look better and feel happier, but in the meantime dressing in a flattering way will help too! It sounds to me like the OP wants is to get some clothes that look good on her now. If she wants to lose weight then fair enough, but that shouldn't stop her from buying at least a few items that suit and flatter her current figure.

It seemed to me that she wasn't so much worrying about whether ladies' clothing goes up that high (I work in a department store atm and we have clothes that go up to dress size 30!! I didn't even realise it existed!), but feeling intimidated by the ladies' department and the comparative smallness of her friends. But that's just how I interpreted it. Since she says she fits into a ladies' L/XL then it seems to corroborate that (though otoh, an 'L' can be anything from a 12 to an 18, from what I've seen)... If the OP is indeed unhappy with her weight then I'm not going to dissuade her from a weight-loss attempt, but I still think she should buy some choice well-fitting clothes for the here and now!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I'm always rather peeved when I buy surf clothes in which a size XL = a 12 :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    Indeed, I'm always rather peeved when I buy surf clothes in which a size XL = a 12 :mad:
    That's messed up!
    I have comfortably worn everything from S to XL, depending on the brand of clothing...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am trying my best to go on healthy diet to cut down my weight, but the matter or proper dieting is it takes time... And I think, in the middle I can have the chance to try on clothes, instead of waiting till I get into a nice shape... And the hopes about having smaller size seemed a bit hopeless when most of my relatives had big frames and has the similarly same big hip and bottom... that's awful, yeah, but what to do... I can't be genetically engineered...

I tried some girls clothes and found the size of my top needs a smaller size compared to bottoms one... hmm... will it look unbalanced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mafer)
    Well, I am trying my best to go on healthy diet to cut down my weight, but the matter or proper dieting is it takes time... And I think, in the middle I can have the chance to try on clothes, instead of waiting till I get into a nice shape... And the hopes about having smaller size seemed a bit hopeless when most of my relatives had big frames and has the similarly same big hip and bottom... that's awful, yeah, but what to do... I can't be genetically engineered...

I tried some girls clothes and found the size of my top needs a smaller size compared to bottoms one... hmm... will it look unbalanced?
    :hugs: Keep working at it. I was a fat kid ALL my life (I had pneumonia twice in one year in primary school and was STILL fat at the end of the year...so!). And all the women on my dad's side have big butts, but I've slowly gotten rid of the weight and though my butt's still big it's not ugly big.

And don't worry about your top half being smaller than the bottom - you're just a pear-shaped gal.

ReputationRep:
    Watch Trinny and Susannah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mafer)

bolero and cropped jackets which optically add 'bulk' to the top half are great to balance things out
    (not suggesting this jacket specifically, just giving you an idea of the shape)
    http://www.kelyarn.com/460%20Cropped%20Jacket.jpg

and btw, in defence of minimo's dieting strategy: a lot of celebrity diets work by allowing the person to buy something expensive if they stuck to their diet plan at the end of the week. So every time you loose weight you go out and buy something nice. Minimo is just more radical - needing to go through the whole diet plan before getting the reward. But rewards definitely help you work towards a goal.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best reward is when I found out I can wear a smaller size? Anyway, I had my diet by eating greens and not to eat snacks... then I get exercise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mafer)
    I think the best reward is when I found out I can wear a smaller size? Anyway, I had my diet by eating greens and not to eat snacks... then I get exercise...
    Sounds good! Fruit and veg instead of snacks are always the way to go when loosing weight! I managed
    to go from a size 16-18 to a 8-10 through reducing the amount I snacked on so its deffo one of the best things
    that you can change xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks... and I think at the age of 19... I can't actually get taller, can I? Because I am short (163.5 cm)... I just had the idea that if I am taller, i might not look that plump...

ReputationRep:
    Wear heels. Instant height!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.