The Student Room Group

Why does not agreeing with gay marriage make you a bad person?

Where does it say you have to agree with it? I mean those in these relationships always go on about it being the 21st centry where you can be who you want to be, however being someone who doesnt agree with gay marriage is seen as a facist scum.. bit hypocritical.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 69Tekashi69
Where does it say you have to agree with it? I mean those in these relationships always go on about it being the 21st centry where you can be who you want to be, however being someone who doesnt agree with gay marriage is seen as a facist scum.. bit hypocritical.

It doesn't make you a bad person. Society just likes to belittle those with minority opinions, just like how gays were treated a few hundred years ago. And now it's the traditional Christians who are being marginalized; a new kind of bigotry.
Reply 2
you don't have to agree with it, but you do have to live with it. it's not going away.

you also have to live with the fact that some people will think you're against gay people (and rightfully so), but that's also your choosing. people have the right to disagree with you just like you have the right to disagree with them.
Reply 3
Original post by Joleee

you also have to live with the fact that some people will think you're against gay people (and rightfully so)

Okay, you just justified the assumption that I must be against gay people for holding the opinion that gay marriage is wrong, so I'd like you to expand on that.
Reply 4
Original post by Joel 96
Okay, you just justified the assumption that I must be against gay people for holding the opinion that gay marriage is wrong, so I'd like you to expand on that.

yeah of course some people will think you're against gay people if you're not FOR their right to marry. i'm stating the obvious. the OP has experienced this and and i know you've experienced this too.

and it's your choosing mate. i choose different politics and you're free to disagree with me too. we all make choices.
Original post by Joel 96

Why else would you think gay marriage is wrong?
Reply 6
Original post by Joleee
yeah of course some people will think you're against gay people if you're not FOR their right to marry. i'm stating the obvious. the OP has experienced this and and i know you've experienced this too.

I have experienced this, and I've also debunked it thousands of times. One can be accepting of homosexuality to the extent of which it's made legal in society. I just happen to not have an acceptance that has developed to the support of same-sex marriage, on the grounds of homosexual actions being immoral.

Original post by Joleee

and it's your choosing mate. i choose different politics and you're free to disagree with me too. we all make choices.

Of course. The difference between you and me is that I don't make judgments and assertions on your character.
Original post by Joel 96
It doesn't make you a bad person. Society just likes to belittle those with minority opinions, just like how gays were treated a few hundred years ago. And now it's the traditional Christians who are being marginalized; a new kind of bigotry.

True. You're not a bad person. You're a terrible person.
It's not the simple state of not agreeing with it, but the reasons for it and how you act on that. Personally, for example, I am opposed to gay marriage as I disagree with all marriage, for reasons I think are outside the scope of this question. This does not mean that I think that marriage should be unavailable to anyone else (although I would like to see the legal benefits removed), just that I have no desire to partake in it myself, and it would be wrong for me to try to stop others from doing it as it has no real negative effects on others.
Reply 9
Original post by howitoughttobe
Why else would you think gay marriage is wrong?

I believe that homosexual acts are objectively immoral. As we don't know whether homosexuality is a choice or not, I play it safe and believe it isn't, meaning that we cannot judge somebody for something they have no control over.
It doesn't, but just don't be a **** about it, I guess. Tho I understand that others might think it's a bit mean of you to disagree with gay people marrying because it's not your life and thus doesn't really affect you.
Original post by The_Icy_One
Personally, for example, I am opposed to gay marriage as I disagree with all marriage

Interesting opinion. How come?
Reply 12
To be honest, it's how clueless western civilization is becoming. I am sure many other parts of the world still condemn it.

They call it an "open mind" but c'mon, non-binary genders? Trans-species? If we were intolerant of gay marriage from the start then none of these ideas even have the basis of "but it's how you feel".
Original post by Joel 96
I believe that homosexual acts are objectively immoral. As we don't know whether homosexuality is a choice or not, I play it safe and believe it isn't, meaning that we cannot judge somebody for something they have no control over.

Okay I get that you believe gay sex is wrong, but why should gay marriage then be illegal? Gay people are still gonna shag if they can't get married lol
Reply 14
Original post by prinseparadox
Okay I get that you believe gay sex is wrong, but why should gay marriage then be illegal? Gay people are still gonna shag if they can't get married lol

Marriage is between a man and a woman.
Okay I get that you believe gay sex is wrong, but why should gay marriage then be illegal?

I don't necessarily agree that marriage should be government-controlled. I just don't agree with gay marriage or any homosexual actions on a moral level.

Gay people are still gonna shag if they can't get married lol

Are they?
Original post by Joel 96
Interesting opinion. How come?

In a nutshell:

It causes people to stay in incompatible and sometimes abusive relationships, both out of the difficulty of the divorce process and the social stigma which still applies to divorcees.

A pretty hefty number of the practices involved are frankly outdated, especially the whole 'giving away' of the bride thing.

A lot of governments put some pretty large tax benefits on marriage, especially in inheritance tax.

The wedding industry is outright exploitative in a lot of cases.

It still has an intrinsic religious subtext, although this is quite a minor one for me.

Naturally, none of these are huge issues, and marriage can very much exist without these things, but they are enough to, in my eyes, outweigh the benefits of marriage as a legal contract in its present form. Also,
to pre-empt a followup question, if a future partner wished to marry me, these beliefs would most likely have very little impact on whether I would agree.
Original post by Joel 96

What makes you believe that homosexual acts are immoral? I can categorically say that it's not a choice, though this is besides the point.

Original post by Joel 96
Are they?

Yes there are. Gay people had sex before gay marriage was a thing. QED.
Original post by arizonaidiot
Believing gay sex is wrong probably makes you a good person.It is a disgustingly vile act.

Care to elaborate?
Original post by britishtf2
What makes you believe that homosexual acts are immoral?

The categorical imperative.

Quick Reply

Latest