[A-Level Physics] Magnetic & Electric Fields Experiment (Help!) Watch

FP5
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello,

This is in Module 6 - OCR A Level Physics

I have seen this experiment where a magnet is put through a metal tube, but moves really slowly through the tube.

Why is this? What's going on?
FP5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
- bump -
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Magnets?

*shudders*, just had a flashback to the AQA AS Physics exam on Friday.
Ladkus
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There are two ways of looking at it. One using conservation of energy and the other using lenz's law. When the magnet falls through the tube, there is a changing magnet field as the magnet passes through the tube. Using Faraday's law of induction, this change in flux linkage causes a current to be induced in the tube. If you were to look at conservation of energy, before you release the magnet, it will have gravitational potential energy, and after the magnet has fallen through it will have kinetic energy. However, some of the potential energy has been dissipated as heat inside the tube due to the induced current. If you were to look at it with Lenz's law, then the direction of the induced current would be such that it opposes the change that caused it. This would mean the direction of the current induced will create a magnetic field that opposes the magnetic field of the magnet, which would repel the magnet hence apply an upwards force, causing the magnets acceleration to decrease as the resultant force on the magnet is much less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads