Turn on thread page Beta

Wanting to date a blind girl watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Go up to her and ask her what music she likes. Can't go wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    firsly, good on you for looking past her blindness and not minding it. she will presumably never be able to see you, and you can cope with that. come up to her, start a conversation. blind people can find it hard to trust people. if she is somewhat insecure she may think you just want a shag and may take advantage of her. thats why, if you do end up going on a date, dont be too touchy feely. remember, in her world, everything is based on touch smell and sound. if you put your arm around her waist and she cant see your kind caring face she may think you're a perv. just be normal with her, like someone else said dont talk to her like she is a ******. tell her you want to get to know her.

respect to you and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i think some of you are being harsh here - he obviously wnats to know what kind of things might blind people like doing on the account that they cannot do quite a few thigns sighted people can

Now calm the **** down!

ReputationRep:
    I see OP's point. I wouldn't know how to set about something like this. I think becoming her friend first would be the way to go. I mean what level of care does she need if shes totally blind..ask her friends what she does. I wouldn't go..clubbing..if I was blind..it does rule some stuff out.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    When you've gotten to the stage of arranging to go somewhere with her, ask her if she needs a particular hand with anything. As long as you're cool about it then she should be too. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Street Pharmacologist)
    Why do they find it so hard to trust?

I'm guessing someone somewhere along the lines has invited a blind girl over to theirs and misinformed them about what they were touching
    They're blind, not stupid.

I'd guess it's more to do with things like body language. Sighted people can tell a whole lot about someone by how they move, what their expression is etc, while they're talking to them. She only has the voice to go on. She can't see if you're holding an axe in your hand or are naked and ready to pounce. She can't see if there is a whole bunch of your friends behind you taking the piss for asking her out. She has never seen you in class - and we normally guess a lot about someone's personality by how they act with others. If she can't see that then you're just a voice come out of nowhere asking her out - can you see why that would be weird?

Most people are cautious with people they don't know, but if you have never seen them you probably know even less about them than another sighted person in your class might be able to work out. Hence have a chat and get to know her a bit first.

ReputationRep:
    She is still human & I respect the fact you are willing to not judge her for having no sight a lot of boys I know would be quite nasty/immature.
    She would probably appreicate you more if address her normally and do not make an issue of it. I do not know specific things blind people like to do, but a lot of people who have lost one sense become stronger in another, so music orientated things perhaps? (Don't verbally abuse me for this I'm just speculating) Obviously the more you talk to her, the more you will find out!

ReputationRep:
    Just be friendly and not scary.. remember your voice will give away a lot of what sort of person you are. I reccomend the book "He says she says" by Lillian Glass which gives tonnes of tips on how to talk to the opposite gender.

ReputationRep:
    P.S i think it's awesome you're not bothered by her being blind.

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds unlikely, but theres a blind lady in my town and she goes to the fireworks every year :-/ must like the sounds...
    Maybe take her out to eat.

ReputationRep:
    You're asking her out because she's "well fit" - do you even know what's she's like? Why not just invite her and a bunch of her mates and yours to do something in a group setting and then start chatting to her, that way you'll get to know her. And her mates *all important friend approval*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    You're asking her out because she's "well fit" - do you even know what's she's like? Why not just invite her and a bunch of her mates and yours to do something in a group setting and then start chatting to her, that way you'll get to know her. And her amtes *all important friend approval*.
    What if girl's mates put pay to any hope of him getting closer to her? As can happen......

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about places to take her and I thought something concentrating on one of her fully operational senses would be a good idea. I'm going to take her to eat, somewhere nice like the littlewoods cafe.

How should I initiate conversation with her?

ReputationRep:
    As a nurse, I've worked with a fair few blind people, and the main thing I think you need to consider is the fact that she's likely to have experienced negative reactions from people in the past (quite a few of the blind people I've worked with have mentioned how unkind people can be about their condition). With that in mind, be aware that it might take her a little while longer than "usual" to trust you - so take your time with her. She also won't be able to gauge your reactions to things she says/does the way a sighted person would, so that will quite probably add to her difficulties in getting to know people.

Other than that, try not to forget that she's a normal person in every respect, apart from being blind. I don't mean to put you down personally - it's just I've often noticed other nurses sometimes talking extra-slow, or being a little condescending, and in my own experience people with a disability generally prefer it if you treat them as you would treat any other person. I don't mean that you would do anything "wrong" - just that it's easy to fall into the habit of treating the blind as though they need a cotton-wool approach, which they don't. So be natural - it's only her sight that's missing.. everything else is still present and correct.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How would you initiate conversation with any other person?

ReputationRep:
    "well fit" suggests to me that you are doing this for the wrong reasons..

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about places to take her and I thought something concentrating on one of her fully operational senses would be a good idea. I'm going to take her to eat, somewhere nice like the littlewoods cafe.

littlewoods cafe?

this whole thread is a joke isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ph9)
    littlewoods cafe?

this whole thread is a joke isn't it?
    It's all cool, he could tell her it's The Ivy and she wouldn't know any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    It's all cool, he could tell her it's The Ivy and she wouldn't know any better.
    I am aware people who have lost a sense have much more finely attuned senses so would she see through my lying?

I was thinking of telling her we were in Gordon Ramseys restaurant, I was even going to simulate the swearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    As a nurse, I've worked with a fair few blind people, and the main thing I think you need to consider is the fact that she's likely to have experienced negative reactions from people in the past (quite a few of the blind people I've worked with have mentioned how unkind people can be about their condition). With that in mind, be aware that it might take her a little while longer than "usual" to trust you - so take your time with her. She also won't be able to gauge your reactions to things she says/does the way a sighted person would, so that will quite probably add to her difficulties in getting to know people.

Other than that, try not to forget that she's a normal person in every respect, apart from being blind. I don't mean to put you down personally - it's just I've often noticed other nurses sometimes talking extra-slow, or being a little condescending, and in my own experience people with a disability generally prefer it if you treat them as you would treat any other person. I don't mean that you would do anything "wrong" - just that it's easy to fall into the habit of treating the blind as though they need a cotton-wool approach, which they don't. So be natural - it's only her sight that's missing.. everything else is still present and correct.

Good luck!
    I second this. I'm partially sighted and the amount of people who talk to me like I'm a child (I'm almost 19) is becoming irritating now. Either that, or they treat me like I'm thick.

No it wouldn't. Blind people can't *see* you dufus.
    Only 5% of blind people are actually blind. The other 95% have 10% or less vision.

I would ask her what she wants to do - not her friends.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.