Why can ice fish in the Antarctic survive with no haemoglobin? please help

Watch
anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My textbook says that as the temp in Antarctic waters are very low, respiration rates of the fish are also very low. Thus, as respiration needs oxygen, their oxygen requirements are very low.

I understand the link between respiration rate and oxygen requirement, but why do they have a low respiratory rate just because of the low temperature in the water, I don't understand that?
username3154862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
My textbook says that as the temp in Antarctic waters are very low, respiration rates of the fish are also very low. Thus, as respiration needs oxygen, their oxygen requirements are very low.

I understand the link between respiration rate and oxygen requirement, but why do they have a low respiratory rate just because of the low temperature in the water, I don't understand that?
Conformers as you know conform to the environmental temperature/the surrounding temperature, so their body temperature is determined by their surroundings, I had a question like this in my biology paper that I did like a week ago, It had a salmon who's heart rate increased (pumped more O2 around the body) as the temperature of its surroundings increased. (safe to say I didnt understand since I thought the metabolism of conformers would be constant, apparently fish find it harder to get O2 from the water as temperature increases so need to pump more blood in order to maintain the same metabolic rate.)

So, I assume the fish find it a ton easier to get O2 from the water and so don't need to increase heart rate to maintain their metabolic rate as their blood is more oxygenated/is oxygen dense (if thats a term) so less blood is needed for the same level of metabolic rate due to that.

Hope you get that question and do better than I did :P
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

The rate of enzyme action and therefore of the metabolic reactions in an organism i.e. the physiological processes of life, are slowed down at low temperatures (and, as stated in the previous post, fish are poikilotherms, so their body temp changes in line with external temp); so these Arctic fish have nearly zero oxygen requirements [almost like they are hibernating 24/7 - lazy sods haha!! ), so they do not need an intricate mechanism (via Hb) to carry oxygen to the tissues.

The principle is similar to the transport of a potential transplant organ e.g. a heart to a distant location, when it is kept in liquid nitrogen (something like -150 degrees C) to keep it alive during transit.

Hope this helps!

M
anactualmess
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Hi,

The rate of enzyme action and therefore of the metabolic reactions in an organism i.e. the physiological processes of life, are slowed down at low temperatures (and, as stated in the previous post, fish are poikilotherms, so their body temp changes in line with external temp); so these Arctic fish have nearly zero oxygen requirements [almost like they are hibernating 24/7 - lazy sods haha!! ), so they do not need an intricate mechanism (via Hb) to carry oxygen to the tissues.

The principle is similar to the transport of a potential transplant organ e.g. a heart to a distant location, when it is kept in liquid nitrogen (something like -150 degrees C) to keep it alive during transit.

Hope this helps!

M
Thank you so much!
anactualmess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Relentas)
Conformers as you know conform to the environmental temperature/the surrounding temperature, so their body temperature is determined by their surroundings, I had a question like this in my biology paper that I did like a week ago, It had a salmon who's heart rate increased (pumped more O2 around the body) as the temperature of its surroundings increased. (safe to say I didnt understand since I thought the metabolism of conformers would be constant, apparently fish find it harder to get O2 from the water as temperature increases so need to pump more blood in order to maintain the same metabolic rate.)

So, I assume the fish find it a ton easier to get O2 from the water and so don't need to increase heart rate to maintain their metabolic rate as their blood is more oxygenated/is oxygen dense (if thats a term) so less blood is needed for the same level of metabolic rate due to that.

Hope you get that question and do better than I did :P
Thank you that really helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (641)
49.19%

Watched Threads