The Student Room Group

Why Feminism is useless and sexist

it promotes man-hating, sexism, hypocrisy and lies. I was wondering, can anyone truly support such a stupid movement? intended to discuss, not just insult them!
I understand you mate. I felt like that not too long ago, but after having a deeper look into the movement, I understand a lot more about what is going on.

We may be out of the “no rights for women” days, but there are still genuine reasons for being a feminist today. For one, there are many women in other countries (particularly around the Middle East) who suffer immense oppression from their government and/or their religious leaders.
Second, while western countries tend to have removed most if not all of their sexist legislation, there is still a lot of sexism in the commercial world, and within society as a whole. For instance, from the moment their sex is revealed, children are given heaps upon heaps of toys for boys/girls. Girls are given arts and crafts, dolls, anything bright and pink. Boys are given cars and trucks, science kits, etc. It is often speculated that the reason there are so few women in computer science, maths and engineering, and likewise rather few men in the arts, is because of the way in which children are treated based on their gender at birth.
Third, feminism is, by definition, the support of equal rights for all. Not just rights for women. A big issue in feminism is the worryingly high number of male suicides in today’s society. This is often pinned on the problem of toxic masculinity; that if you’re not strong or handsome or tough or are bad at attracting women, then you are somehow “not a man”. This is something that needs to be tackled and is one of the core issues in modern feminism.

There are some genuinely sexist articles written by feminists, and those need to be called out and put to shame. It is super easy to take these anecdotes as representative of modern feminism, and a lot of people still do that today. But to generalise the whole movement based on a few crazy people is just, well, madness.
The definition of feminism is the argument for equal gender rights.

Feminism in itself is not a bad idea, it is a great idea.

There are just many people who identify as feminists that have made the movement toxic and about man-hating.

So yes, at first feminism was a normal, rational proposal...but people have made it a poisonous, sexist organisation that excludes 99% of the population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending