The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

2008 Kent Students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
I'm not quite sure how much I'll need to spend on everything, so it's hard to work out a proper budget...
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
I've not really worked out a budget per se, I have worked out that I should have somewhere between £90 and £120 a week to live on (after rent) though, so I'll probably be ok. :p:
Exopaladin
I've not really worked out a budget per se, I have worked out that I should have somewhere between £90 and £120 a week to live on (after rent) though, so I'll probably be ok. :p:

Wow, you guys are gunna be loaded.

Why such a high budget?
Can anyone do me a favour?

I need to work out whether or not VOIP (Voice-over IP telephones) will work at Parkwood. I vaguely remember seeing a .pdf listing all of the applications that were allowed, and I think that was one of them.

I'll rep whoever finds it :biggrin:
GodspeedGehenna
Wow, you guys are gunna be loaded.

Why such a high budget?

Full grant + loan + bursary as my parents are separated and I live with my mum who has very little income.

GodspeedGehenna

Can anyone do me a favour?

I need to work out whether or not VOIP (Voice-over IP telephones) will work at Parkwood. I vaguely remember seeing a .pdf listing all of the applications that were allowed, and I think that was one of them.

I'll rep whoever finds it

http://www.kent.ac.uk/is/computing/sbs/voip.html This seems to indicate that you're stuck with Freewire or Skype at the moment. :/

Edit: And this is the full list of available services I think: http://www.kent.ac.uk/is/computing/sbs/availableservices.html
So is the accommodation fee taken out weekly? i thought it was all just taken out in one go?
the wolf at door
So is the accommodation fee taken out weekly? i thought it was all just taken out in one go?

No, it's in three termly installments.

(Is termly a word?)
GodspeedGehenna
No, it's in three termly installments.

(Is termly a word?)

So how come people always talk about how much their accommodation costs weekly?

(ye i think it is)
Reply 2168
You can pay termly or yearly, I believe...so I'm not really counting the rent in my budget.

If I run out of money I can always visit the Bank of Mum and Dad...tho I want to try not to- my brother did it allllll the time!

I really won't know my budget until I get there, and I'm guessing that the first few months will have no real budget at all....just partaaayyyy time :biggrin:
the wolf at door

(ye i think it is)

It is taken out Termly. People talk about weekly rent as it helps some people budget.
Reply 2170
God I need to get off the internet and unpack from hols/tidy my room....I cba....
Reply 2171
the wolf at door

(ye i think it is)

£66 a week means a bit more to me then £945 for three months :woo: :p:
Reply 2172
Everyone seems to have money for Freshers Week; I'm completely broke! Looks like it'll be me and my laptop :wink:

**** I hope I somehow get my hands on some money for Freshers...
Truered
£66 a week means a bit more to me then £945 for three months :woo: :p:

why? If you just take that £945 away from the money you have, then you'll know how much you'll have left for the three months won't you?
Reply 2174
the wolf at door
why? If you just take that £945 away from the money you have, then you'll know how much you'll have left for the three months won't you?

I've already worked out how much I'll have left after taking into account all of my accomm fees and bursaries. :yep:

Unfortunately I also have to worry about utility bills unlike last year where it was all included.

I think about money too much :o:
I've worked out how much I'll have left over, looking at the termly accomodation payments and my loans that come through around the same time.
The stupid thing is, I have to pay the largest sum for the accomodation at the beginning when my loan is at its lowest, and then the accomodation payments lower as my loans get higher. I'm gonna be rich by the end of the year (yeah right, but I'm left with 60 squid to spend after the first lot of money has come/gone through :frown:)
Reply 2176
katkit
Everyone seems to have money for Freshers Week; I'm completely broke! Looks like it'll be me and my laptop :wink:

**** I hope I somehow get my hands on some money for Freshers...

lolol everyones broke!! were all relying on the maintenance loan/grant from the student finance lolol
Is the bursary supposed to come up on student finance website does anyone know? As i should get it but it hasn't appeared on there yet. Also for everyone who's worried about freshers' week, i'm taking money from overdraft then paying it back once the loan comes through.

I can't budget yet either as i still haven't been allocated accommodation lol!
Reply 2178
ChicaBonita
I've worked out how much I'll have left over, looking at the termly accomodation payments and my loans that come through around the same time.
The stupid thing is, I have to pay the largest sum for the accomodation at the beginning when my loan is at its lowest, and then the accomodation payments lower as my loans get higher. I'm gonna be rich by the end of the year (yeah right, but I'm left with 60 squid to spend after the first lot of money has come/gone through :frown:)

:ditto:

In my first term I was on -£100 loan during the first term when I would (possibly) need books, and other fees. In the six week summer term I was about +£500
Reply 2179
Em_maK
It may be hard to believe but not everyone has facebook :p:

I knoooooooooooooow im not that dim >_< lol

on the budget front my first installment just covers my first accom payment with about £10 to spare :eek: lucky I have some saved

anyone who gets a Kent bursary receive it in May 09? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending