Reply 3360
What exactly are we taking these for?

Do we have to show them during Freshers' Week? :s-smilie:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Missy67
NHS Medical card? National insurance number?

Thanks, have dug out my NI card. Not sure if I have an NHS medical card though!
Reply 3362
KentWill

To actually recieve your student loan you need to take the forms to registration on Saturday/Sunday (when you move in), so they can scan the barcode and inform SLC that you are actually on the course, and only then will you get paid. Otherwise to SLC you look like a random name asking for £3,000 plus, without being confirmed on the course! I guess they had a few sketchy moments of people claiming money and not actually going to uni.
Reply 3363
KentWill

No, not all of them, but it's best that you have all your important documents with you incase you need to show them at some point throughout the year.
Reply 3364
I really really have no clue about financial matters.

I'm not sure what I actually applied for, and am sure that I've only got one or two generic letters from studentfinancedirect since I first contacted them.

Who can I talk to at the uni for some more information?

Lastly, do you think its worth booking into a cheap hotel in Canterbury in case I'm not allowed to move in at the University? (On that note, I'll be bring a few UCAS letters with me, my passport, birth certificate and National Insurance card with me on Sunday evening so that I can prove my identity when I get to the University. Is this enough?)
KentWill

I'm not sure what I actually applied for, and am sure that I've only got one or two generic letters from studentfinancedirect since I first contacted them.

Lastly, do you think its worth booking into a cheap hotel in Canterbury in case I'm not allowed to move in at the University? (On that note, I'll be bring a few UCAS letters with me, my passport, birth certificate and National Insurance card with me on Sunday evening so that I can prove my identity when I get to the University. Is this enough?)

Like Kalby said, I think there's a letter which you need to take on Saturday/Sunday when you register, which is when they confirm that you're on the course. You should have a letter which says something along the lines of 'You must take this to your university' (or something), which you need to take to the Finance office (I think it's the finance office anyway). Although, saying that, I didn't receive that letter until I was actually atuni last year, so you may not have received that yet. I think that's all you need to do, although this probably sounds even more confusing now!

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just take all the important documents you have with you, and they'll let you know which ones you need, I expect. :smile:
KentWill

To move in, all you need to have is the printout of your Accommodation offer. You'll need to pay the deposit, I think, but most Universities are willing to delay the first installment of rent until you've actually got your loan. So, you'll be able to move into your room with or without the loan as long as you let them know what's going on with the payments. It also might be worth getting in contact with the SLC or your LEA to find out the status of your loan application and what you have to do if anything hasn't been confirmed yet.
Reply 3367
I haven't heard about taking anything to the finance people. I thought all we had to do was show one or two documents to the reception of the respective colleges where our rooms are. I'm getting very panicy now. :frown:

Is there a list on the website of all the people we need to go and see when we arrive there? I'm really going to have no clue what to do when I turn up. Where is that we go to get our ID cards? And do we need photo ID to prove who we are?

Thanks!

EDIT: In response to cinnamon's post, is there a way of checking exactly what I've applied for? I can remember putting in my details and stating my household income et al, though I'm really not sure what financial support I'm expecting to receive. I've been so disorganised regards financial matters I'm thinking it might just be easier if I cancel my application and apply next year, when I'll apply for financial support in a more timely, organised manner.
You get your key at the reception of wherever you're staying, usually. So, Parkwood people go to Parkwood reception, and Tyler people go to the reception in Tyler A. So, you need to take your accommodation printout and a passport to prove you are who you say you are to your reception to get your key and move in. Then, you need to go to the sports hall with your passport to get your student ID card. Apart from that, I don't think there's much else to do apart from getting some food from a shop to stock up your kitchen if you're self-catered, and setting up your internet connection in your room. :smile:
KentWill
I haven't heard about taking anything to the finance people. I thought all we had to do was show one or two documents to the reception of the respective colleges where our rooms are. I'm getting very panicy now. :frown:

Is there a list on the website of all the people we need to go and see when we arrive there? I'm really going to have no clue what to do when I turn up. Where is that we go to get our ID cards? And do we need photo ID to prove who we are?

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you even more! Honestly, the first day when you move in, it's a bit confusing at first, but it's not too bad. Whereabouts are you going to be living? I stayed (and am going back to this year) Keynes, and to get my card, first of all I had to show the documents to Keynes Reception, who gave me the details of my room/key/card etc. Then you have to go to register a bit later, where you give them the letter about the loans etc, and they'll also give you your proper ID card then too.

Sometime during the week, I went down to Finance to give them the letter about paying, but that may just have been because I didn't have that letter on the day I moved in.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/finance-student/ Have you seen that link? There's a link to contact them on there, so you could always try phoning, I'm sure they wouldn't mind! :smile:
Will, you need to go to http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk and log in using your ART ID number and password, and enter your secret question answer. Then you'll be able to see your payment schedule. If you don't remember any of the stuff you need to log in, then you're going to have to give them a call i'm afraid!
Reply 3371
KentWill
I'm thinking it might just be easier if I cancel my application and apply next year, when I'll apply for financial support in a more timely, organised manner.

I really wouldn't do that. Where would you get money from? Unless of course you have really rich parents. Just phone the student finance company and try to sort it all out. Go to www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk and click contact at the top.
I applied for Student finance just over a month ago and they have sorted it out really quickly.
Reply 3373
cinnamon442
You get your key at the reception of wherever you're staying, usually. So, Parkwood people go to Parkwood reception, and Tyler people go to the reception in Tyler A. So, you need to take your accommodation printout and a passport to prove you are who you say you are to your reception to get your key and move in. Then, you need to go to the sports hall with your passport to get your student ID card. Apart from that, I don't think there's much else to do apart from getting some food from a shop to stock up your kitchen if you're self-catered, and setting up your internet connection in your room. :smile:

Hm, seems quite straightforward I suppose.

About food, I'll be bringing about a week's supply of snacks to have in my room, so I won't go shopping immediately. :smile: I think once I've had a look at my room and moved some stuff into it I'll go out and explore Canterbury. Then, one day during Freshers' Week, I'm going to get the train to London and back to kill a couple of hours.
Sounds like a nice plan, to me, I love London. Be sure to visit Covent Garden for the street performers!
Reply 3375
As long as it doesn't mean going on the tube! I hate it! I even changed at Reading, Redhill and Tonbridge on my way to Canterbury last week so I wouldn't have to use the tube between Paddington and Charing Cross/Victoria.

I might just have a wonder around the area near Victoria. I'm sure to find something interesting. I do want to have a look at the London Dungeons some time, however. Parliament would be interesting to see and go inside too.
If you get the train to Charing Cross, you can walk to Covent Garden. It takes maybe 10 minutes at most. :smile:
Reply 3377
That's my plan then. :smile:

I have been there before, though it'd be good to see again. It'd be a good day out, as I wouldn't have to spend too much money while I'm there.

By the way, are you aware of any London attractions that are entirely free?
Reply 3378
Hello everyone. Currently in Canterbury :awesome:
Reply 3379
Whereabouts?

Having a good day?

Hope the uni was busier and more inviting than it was on my visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending