Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KentWill)
    About collecting our ID cards, how exactly do we do this? Are they going to be sorted in alphabetical order or something, or will there just be one huge pile of 20,000 such items in the middle of this building?
    You'll go into the Sports Hall and travel around it in a 'circular manner', stopping at the desks which you need to. ID card desk will have small queues of people divided up alphabetically.

----
    At this point I'd like to join in with the:
    :woo: *Aaaahhhh, I'm moving in tomorrow!!* :woo:

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs are people considering doing then?
    I'd like something not too taxing. I've been working at Burger King for 3 years and it's more stressful than you'd ever believe. Waterstones...or Borders. That'd be nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    I'd like something not too taxing. I've been working at Burger King for 3 years and it's more stressful than you'd ever believe. Waterstones...or Borders. That'd be nice
    Burger King? You legend, I love BK.

Bar work is nice, more relaxed generally, does get busy but is mostly mechanical so it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    Up until last week when I left I was the "Assistant Restaurant Manager" at a BK in Peterborough. God knows how they can call it a Restaurant, and what they were doing letting me (18 when I got promoted) being 2nd in charge of the place is beyond me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't *want* to work retail again..but I probably will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    Yep, I agree. I'd also want a job in a calm, quiet environment.

I actually wouldn't object to working in Marks & Spencers, or a similar shop. I'd despise working in the type of clothes shop where the most mind-numbing, deafening music is played continually and where everyone seems to be continually busy.

But wherever I work I'll probably show the same kind of enthusiasm for my job as the apathetic B&Q worker described by Jack Dee in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAFyG9dwN8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    Up until last week when I left I was the "Assistant Restaurant Manager" at a BK in Peterborough. God knows how they can call it a Restaurant, and what they were doing letting me (18 when I got promoted) being 2nd in charge of the place is beyond me!
    LOL, why not?!

It's not the kind of job that requires decades of experiences... What could you struggle to do in your capacity as Assistant Restaurant Manager that a more seasoned BK employee could do with ease? The process of microwaving plastic, rubbery looking food prior to handing this out to portly churls in need of stuffing their spot-riddled faces surely isn't an esoteric, complicated one?!

Good luck on beying exalted to the role of manager.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs are people considering doing then?
    I've worked in bars quite a bit over the last few years and it works out quite well whilst your studying as it tends to be quite flexible and so you can fit it in around studying, though the problem is that there's always that offer of working an extra shift or an extra hour that becomes very difficult to turn down when the cash reserves start to drop. It becomes very easy to work 40 hours despite being "part-time".

ReputationRep:
    Will, be nice :rolleyes: or I will have to take away the cookies I keep giving you!

I'd love to get a job on campus, particularly in a bar or in Blackwells, the student bookshop - I know I'd adore working there.

So here's hoping!

ReputationRep:
    I think I defied the laws of physics getting my suitcase zipped up

ReputationRep:
    I've sent off my CV to St. Martin's Hospital and for a Temporary Care Worker job.. Waiting for the hospital to reply

ReputationRep:
    That seems quite a noble endeavour, Gehenna.

And the kind of job that cash-hungry students would usually shun.

What made you want to be a carer?

@katkit - I am being nice... I wasn't ridiculing BK workers, you know? Besides, the :cookie: can go back in the jar for now as I've just consumed a Gold Bar and a Milky Bar while downing my tea.

ReputationRep:
    @katkit - I am being nice... I wasn't ridiculing BK workers, you know? Besides, the :cookie: can go back in the jar for now as I've just consumed a Gold Bar and a Milky Bar while downing my tea.
    :eek: Gold Bars still exist!? I haven't been able to find any in ages!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be keeping my ****** supermarket job, will sort out a transfer next week probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalby)
    :eek: Gold Bars still exist!? I haven't been able to find any in ages!
    Yep, those really sweet wafers enveloped in a kind of orangey coloured thick chocolate.

I am quite partial to them...

ReputationRep:
    That seems quite a noble endeavour, Gehenna.

And the kind of job that cash-hungry students would usually shun.

What made you want to be a carer?
    It's a good way to learn and gain experience for when I apply for the clinical doctorate. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    or in Blackwells, the student bookshop
    I get an ace discount from Blackwells because I'm a member of the British Psychological Society!

ReputationRep:
    Made a trip to buy some stuff... so I'm going totally empty handed, but it one of those trips that me realise how much more I have to get... this is not fun!!!!!

I have like less than 24 hours to sort my life out...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I just checked your profile and discovered you'll be studying Pyschology at uni. I imagined you to be doing Computer Sciences or a subject like that.

It must be a fascinating topic to delve into, and one that I do find interesting to explore from time to time, though the degree I'll be studying is an English one.

ReputationRep:
    *sneezes* I'm allergic to packing.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.