Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In a fun change of events, I've changed my accommodation from Tyler B and C, to Parkwood Flats, to...

DARWIN COLLEGE!

It was actually my first choice when I was first looking back in year 12, and I'm going back to it.

Kim, see you there! DARWIN ROCKS DUUUUDE!

ReputationRep:
    ^ is that the catered?

I couldn't live in the colleges, although I expect they have more of a student-y feel.

ReputationRep:
    It's the self-catered.

I know, it's grim, but I'm trying to forget that. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I have considered changing mine to one of the colleges for a more central location, but i wouldn't know which one to go for. what is actually the difference between them all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    In a fun change of events, I've changed my accommodation from Tyler B and C, to Parkwood Flats, to...

DARWIN COLLEGE!

It was actually my first choice when I was first looking back in year 12, and I'm going back to it.

Kim, see you there! DARWIN ROCKS DUUUUDE!
    Haha, cool I've applied for either the college or the houses, so I'll be near you (and a fellow Darwinian!) either way Not that any of the residences are that far from each other.This is assuming that the Uni will give us our choices in the first place....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceape)
    I have considered changing mine to one of the colleges for a more central location, but i wouldn't know which one to go for. what is actually the difference between them all?
    http://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/st...ion/guide.html

Basically, Rutherford, Elliot and Keynes are catered (ie, you get breakfast and an allowance for dinner) but are cheaper rent-wise.

Tyler A, B&C, Parkwood and Darwin college and houses are self-catered (ie, you make your own food) but are more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    Kent is known for looking past the grades. Don't panic. ^_^
    Thanks, I kinda know that in the back of my mind but I still wanna try my best, I'm just scared that isn't good enough!

In the AS levels I had a massive shock when I collected my results and the highest grade was a C, D overall, most of my results were Es I guess it's once bitten, twice shy kinda thing.

Oh, and to add - Got my student finance stuff through the post the other day, looks like I'm gonna come out of uni with either a 12 or 16k loan to pay back! Ah well, you only live once.

ReputationRep:
    thanks.
    i seem to remember the catered and kent was really bad, you only get breakfast or something. do you know where abouts darwin is located on the campus/is there a map or something?

ReputationRep:
    woo parkwood!

The walk will do you good

ReputationRep:
    this is true
    i could probably benefit from regular exercise, do my heart a world of good.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I'm telling myself anyway...:p:

I'm sure I may somewhat regret the decision if I ever have to walk there/back in the rain/cold/dark- creepy!

ReputationRep:
    My Mum was impressed when the guide mentioned something about added security along the path, I wasn't really paying attention, more focused on avoiding the lamp post :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently you can get security to walk you back at night...

But I'd feel weird just walking alone with a strange man in the dark :|

ReputationRep:
    though if you did it enough you could strike up a friendship with the security guys. its just an extra opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on what kind of security... If they're anything like the guys who look after my local shopping centre, I think I'll pass

ReputationRep:
    For catered accomodation, you can either get breakfast (which is five items, ie. bacon, eggs, cereal, fruit etc, and a hot drink and a cold drink) OR you get £1.80 allowance towards your dinner, which is not bad if you're getting a small salad (pasta, lettuce, tomatoes, POTATO AND ONION, peppers and sometimes sausage in a bizarre BBQ sauce), but considering an actual meal will cost you in the region of £3-4, it's not really that good if you're planning to eat there every day, so it'll meal you'll either have to pay through your nose or learn to use the microwave to make some good grub.

And the rooms are bigger in catered than non-catered (from what I've seen). Although, obviously, you have more outside of room space in the non-catered accommodation, but honestly the corridor is big enough to have a sleepover or trolley joust, so there shouldn't be any problems in the size of space for funtimes should you be "dumped" in catered accommodation.

Also, walking from Parkwood to Rutherford listening to Brian Eno's ambient albums - fantastic. Especially with the bunnies and a full moon. I think it may have been one of the most lovely experiences of the year. Actually, no. The aforementioned trolley joust was incredibly lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    Also, walking from Parkwood to Rutherford listening to Brian Eno's ambient albums - fantastic. Especially with the bunnies and a full moon. I think it may have been one of the most lovely experiences of the year. Actually, no. The aforementioned trolley joust was incredibly lovely.
    Brian Eno fan!!!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Is Darwin the same as Rutherford etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the wolf at the door)
    Brian Eno fan!!!!!! :eek:
    OMG NO WAI!! I only like his ambient albums, and used to ALWAYS listen to Apollo whilst I went to bed. But Plateuax, Airport and (especially) Discreet Music are all lovely albums, although Music for Airports has a habit of being a bit boring unless you're using it as a background music, as it was created for, to do something else. Discreet Music, Platueax of Mirror and Apollo are excellent pieces of music in their own right, Music for Airports is just a wee bit ughdullugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the wolf at the door)
    Is Darwin the same as Rutherford etc?
    Darwin is self-catered, Rutherford and the other colleges are catered. Darwin also has a different layout, with the rooms in clusters instead of along a corridor.

Map of campus:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/maps/canterbury/index.html

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.