tara777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m an international student who is planning to pursue a postgraduate Masters in Creative Writing. I would really appreciate some insights regarding good courses as all I know are things I read from the internet and I’m honestly not sure how reliable that is.

So, can anyone please tell me Which universities are good for Masters in creative writing? I’m really very confused because honestly, I don’t really find much differences regarding the fees, accommodation and opportunities. I know I sound stupid but they all appear very similar.
University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tara777)
I’m an international student who is planning to pursue a postgraduate Masters in Creative Writing. I would really appreciate some insights regarding good courses as all I know are things I read from the internet and I’m honestly not sure how reliable that is.

So, can anyone please tell me Which universities are good for Masters in creative writing? I’m really very confused because honestly, I don’t really find much differences regarding the fees, accommodation and opportunities. I know I sound stupid but they all appear very similar.
Hi there!

I'm not a creative writing student myself, but I do know that the postgraduate creative writing programmes at my university (UEA) are considered to be very good - it is currently ranked 8th on the Complete University Guide!

A worthy mention is UEA's Creative Writing Prose Fiction course - it is the oldest and one of the most prestigious creative writing courses in the UK, with around 38% going on to be published authors after their degree I've seen the volume of their published work myself, as there is regular enough published work from UEA creative writing graduates for Norwich's Waterstones book store to have a section dedicated to their work! I recommend you read more about it here.

There are more postgraduate creative writing options at UEA besides the Prose Fiction course, which you can see here

I hope this answer has helped! Best of luck on finding the right course for you

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Freckles5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
UEA looks amazing!!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by tara777)

Hi tara777

We offer MA Creative Writing as an online course here at Hull. Details can be found here.
This masters degree allows you to develop your confidence and craft as a writer within a supportive, creative environment.
Whatever your genre of preference, be it literary fiction, nonfiction, or the likes of fantasy, mystery or romance – you will have the opportunity to hone your creative writing skills and discover the techniques seminal writers have used to significant effect:

push your creative boundaries and give shape to a strong and original creative voice
expand your knowledge of the literary canon and acquire the art of reading as a literary writer
gain an in-depth knowledge of structure which will help you towards a deeper understanding of your writing process
become conversant with a range of textual elements such as the use of dialogue, point of view, perspective and sensory detail and apply learned technique to your preferred writing genre
take your place within the international creative writing community. Critique the work of others and engender the view of published writers as colleagues from who you can learn
develop your practice as a creative writer, understand the editing and re-drafting process necessary to produce prose of a publishable standard.

We also offer MA in English (Creative Writing and English Literature). You can find more here.

This MA provides students with a thorough grounding in research methods and practices.
Our MA in English can be tailor made to your interests in either Creative Writing or English Literature, or both. In this fully flexible MA programme, you choose to focus on the writers, or forms of writing, that most interest you. Our MA English programme comes highly recommended, receiving 100% overall satisfaction from our MA students in the national 2018/19 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES), with 100% agreeing that they would recommend the university as a place to study.

Hope this helps,
Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (20)
16.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.2%

Watched Threads