The Student Room Group

Need advice. Been falsely accused of weed use/possession in residential home.

Hi,

I live in a residential home for people in late teens/early twenties. For the past few months the staff who work here have accused me of using cannabis on multiple occasions. I denied each time (which is the truth). Since the first time they have treated me with suspicion instead of care - have so many examples of when they've treated me like dirt, the changing point seems to be the first accusation of cannabis use. They've demanded that I open parcels in front of them etc.... And this morning I was accused again, apparently the corridor outside of room stinking of cannabis. I could not smell it neither could other 'housemates'. I am the only resident who is accused. Today I sort of reached my limit with the false accusations. I asked them if they were so certain why they haven't called the police as cannabis is illegal. They inform me the police are already aware I have been using cannabis and that I am upsetting other housemates who may have a history of drug use. I am extremely distressed and angry.Not only are the accusations false but it is affecting the care here to a bad level.

Not sure what my rights are or if I can do anything about this? Are they breaking any laws/protocols? Are the police allowed to search my room on their request?

Thank you so much.
you should go to the Citizen's Advice people. it sounds like the management are looking for an excuse to remove you from the home. you need proper legal help to make sure this does not happen.
Original post by shanison90
Hi,

I live in a residential home for people in late teens/early twenties. For the past few months the staff who work here have accused me of using cannabis on multiple occasions. I denied each time (which is the truth). Since the first time they have treated me with suspicion instead of care - have so many examples of when they've treated me like dirt, the changing point seems to be the first accusation of cannabis use. They've demanded that I open parcels in front of them etc.... And this morning I was accused again, apparently the corridor outside of room stinking of cannabis. I could not smell it neither could other 'housemates'. I am the only resident who is accused. Today I sort of reached my limit with the false accusations. I asked them if they were so certain why they haven't called the police as cannabis is illegal. They inform me the police are already aware I have been using cannabis and that I am upsetting other housemates who may have a history of drug use. I am extremely distressed and angry.Not only are the accusations false but it is affecting the care here to a bad level.

Not sure what my rights are or if I can do anything about this? Are they breaking any laws/protocols? Are the police allowed to search my room on their request?

Thank you so much.

Is there not someone further up who you could complain to because this seems borderline harrassment
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
you should go to the Citizen's Advice people. it sounds like the management are looking for an excuse to remove you from the home. you need proper legal help to make sure this does not happen.

It seems that way but they don't really need a reason so seems odd.
do you have a social worker ? they can help.
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
Is there not someone further up who you could complain to because this seems borderline harrassment

I have complained twice to management. No official response, simply told that if multiple staff have smelt it they can't all be lying and that they have no reason to.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
do you have a social worker ? they can help.

No, not an active one anyway (did have a CPN prior). Theory is whilst I'm here this organisation can deal with everything, rather than have external agencies involved.

I'm not really sure where to take this. Because it is a commissioned service I don't think Citizens Advice would be OK to use?
I have complained twice to management. No official response, simply told that if multiple staff have smelt it they can't all be lying and that they have no reason to.

Sounds like the staff are incompetent, why accuse you it could be anyone in thay building
I think them saying the police are aware is a scare tactic because even if they did tell the police, it’s so minor in the grand scheme that the police wouldn’t bother with it unless they suspected you of dealing which as you’ve said, they have no reason to suspect.

Also the police cannot search your room unless they have a search warrant even on the request of the residential home staff. A search warrant would require some sort of proof that you are in possession of it which they don’t have because the smell is in a communal area.
Reply 9
Original post by Pete_M21
I think them saying the police are aware is a scare tactic because even if they did tell the police, it’s so minor in the grand scheme that the police wouldn’t bother with it unless they suspected you of dealing which as you’ve said, they have no reason to suspect.

Also the police cannot search your room unless they have a search warrant even on the request of the residential home staff. A search warrant would require some sort of proof that you are in possession of it which they don’t have because the smell is in a communal area.

Thank you.
Can you advise me on what to do? If I write a letter of complaint would this really class as harassment?
Reply 10
Also I've been thinking about something. They have alledged I've been using cannabis for a few months now in this house. If that were true and they hadn't reported it officially to the police before surely they could be done for knowingly allowing their premises to be used?
Also I've been thinking about something. They have alledged I've been using cannabis for a few months now in this house. If that were true and they hadn't reported it officially to the police before surely they could be done for knowingly allowing their premises to be used?

I do remember this happened to me once at work where me and 3 others were accused they threatened to sack us all and call the police but a) I wasn't doing it and b) they had no proof nothing happened, unless they have actual evidence then they can't do anything
Technically it could be classed as harassment. If you feel up to it, go into a police station and tell that about what’s been going on. They can then confirm if they’ve been told and if they haven’t they would be on your side more.

A letter of complaint could work but could backfire as well if the staff are as horrible as they sound so be wary

Quick Reply

Latest