The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni, HELP

I'm in my first year of uni in scotland and I want to drop out.

Basically my situation is, I moved to Glasgow, super excited to go to uni and be more independent. Then when I actually started uni, it wasn't what I was expecting, I hated the course. I got to a really bad place with anxiety and depression, shut myself off from the world and stopped going to my classes completely. Now I want to officially drop out and do something I actually enjoy because I've realized I need to think for myself and I don't need to please everyone else.

I have a few questions that are making me anxious:
1. How do I approach the uni about dropping out?
2. How will dropping out affect my student loan and the repayment of it (Will I have to pay it back now or is that still fine until I earn a certain amount)

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Skye.cooper
I'm in my first year of uni in scotland and I want to drop out.

Basically my situation is, I moved to Glasgow, super excited to go to uni and be more independent. Then when I actually started uni, it wasn't what I was expecting, I hated the course. I got to a really bad place with anxiety and depression, shut myself off from the world and stopped going to my classes completely. Now I want to officially drop out and do something I actually enjoy because I've realized I need to think for myself and I don't need to please everyone else.

I have a few questions that are making me anxious:
1. How do I approach the uni about dropping out?
2. How will dropping out affect my student loan and the repayment of it (Will I have to pay it back now or is that still fine until I earn a certain amount)

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Sorry to hear that,

1) Usually, your university will have something akin to a personal tutoring system in place. You should speak to this person about your wishes to withdraw.
2) Typically, you will only have to pay back the fees for your first year, when you exceed the repayment threshold of £25,000 per year. If on Plan 2. Student finance allows up to four years of funding, so it's likely that if you decide to do another course elsewhere you will still be covered by student finance.
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

Best of luck with whatever you do next.

Josh
Wow you're quiting because of depression not laziness, let me tell you one thing if you're not planning to attend an alternative uni after dropping out, it will be the worst decision you've ever made.
Reply 3
Thank you Josh, I just was unsure about everything, this has helped :smile:

Original post by Aston University
Sorry to hear that,

1) Usually, your university will have something akin to a personal tutoring system in place. You should speak to this person about your wishes to withdraw.
2) Typically, you will only have to pay back the fees for your first year, when you exceed the repayment threshold of £25,000 per year. If on Plan 2. Student finance allows up to four years of funding, so it's likely that if you decide to do another course elsewhere you will still be covered by student finance.
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

Best of luck with whatever you do next.

Josh
Reply 4
Original post by adamantacademic
Wow you're quiting because of depression not laziness, let me tell you one thing if you're not planning to attend an alternative uni after dropping out, it will be the worst decision you've ever made.

I've already applied to some colleges for courses that actually interest me and I'm hoping to find an apprenticeship after that, I just don't think uni is right for me right now but I might go back later on once I'm in a better place :smile:
Original post by Skye.cooper
I've already applied to some colleges for courses that actually interest me and I'm hoping to find an apprenticeship after that, I just don't think uni is right for me right now but I might go back later on once I'm in a better place :smile:

It's going to be much harder later on and you'll become less employable
Reply 6
Original post by adamantacademic
It's going to be much harder later on and you'll become less employable

I know that but I'd rather be happy and do something I enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest