Classic Fiction Recommendations

Watch
Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! Over the summer holidays I’m going to have a lot of free time on my hands and I want to read some classic novels. What are some of your favourites? There are sooo many and I don’t know where to start.

(Note: I’ve read Animal Farm, Pride and Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye. I’ve probably read many more, but I just can’t think of them on the top of my head.)
Cataphoresis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you liked Pride and Prejudice, read Emma. If you liked Animal Farm read 1984 or Brave New World. If you liked Catcher in the Rye... sorry, that was a bad book.

Other than that, try Don Quixote, Jayne Eyre, Brothers Karamazov, As I Lay Dying, or The Thousand and One Nights.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Books, literature and comics.
Bunnyfan302
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations are to name afew. These classics I have really enjoyed. There are many more great classics out there!

Modern classics which are good are To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, and The Handmaid's tale
username3885726
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MiriamButcher)
Hi! Over the summer holidays I’m going to have a lot of free time on my hands and I want to read some classic novels. What are some of your favourites? There are sooo many and I don’t know where to start.

(Note: I’ve read Animal Farm, Pride and Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye. I’ve probably read many more, but I just can’t think of them on the top of my head.)
If you liked 'Animal Farm' you should read Orwell's other books, like '1984' and 'Burmese Days.'

'Pride and Prejudice' is frankly Austen's best work. Her other books are simply just weaker versions of 'Pride and Prejudice.'

You should try 'Jane Eyre' as well. It is quite an easy book to read.

You should definitely read some Dickens as he is a classic English author. Start off with 'David Copperfield' or 'Great Expectations.'
Miriam29
Rep:
?
(Original post by I just went gay)
If you liked 'Animal Farm' you should read Orwell's other books, like '1984' and 'Burmese Days.'

'Pride and Prejudice' is frankly Austen's best work. Her other books are simply just weaker versions of 'Pride and Prejudice.'

You should try 'Jane Eyre' as well. It is quite an easy book to read.

You should definitely read some Dickens as he is a classic English author. Start off with 'David Copperfield' or 'Great Expectations.'

I’ll be studying Jane Eyre at A Level, so I’ll probably make a start on that. Do you know whether A Tale of Two Cities is worth the read? A few people have recommended it to me. I’ve also considered some ancient classics, but I’ll definitely check out 1984. I loved Animal Farm.
username3885726
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MiriamButcher)
I’ll be studying Jane Eyre at A Level, so I’ll probably make a start on that. Do you know whether A Tale of Two Cities is worth the read? A few people have recommended it to me. I’ve also considered some ancient classics, but I’ll definitely check out 1984. I loved Animal Farm.
'A Tale of Two Cities' is a good book but it isn't as good as 'Great Expectations' or 'David Copperfield.' It is definitely worth reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' because it is so different from what Dickens usually wrote.

If you want to read some ancient Classics, good texts to read are Homer's 'The Iliad' and 'The Odyssey.' Virgil's 'Aeneid' is pretty good too.
Miriam29
Rep:
?
(Original post by I just went gay)
'A Tale of Two Cities' is a good book but it isn't as good as 'Great Expectations' or 'David Copperfield.' It is definitely worth reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' because it is so different from what Dickens usually wrote.

If you want to read some ancient Classics, good texts to read are Homer's 'The Iliad' and 'The Odyssey.' Virgil's 'Aeneid' is pretty good too.
I’ve actually ordered The Iliad and The Odyssey, so I’ll be reading them. I’ll also look into getting David Copperfield, and I know that my brother already has Great Expectations.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stanisław Lem is already a classic, it's science-fiction, but very best in terms of science philosophy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (10)
31.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
6.25%
No I am happy with my choice (18)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads