LOliver111102
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So as I get my results back for my end of year 10 exam results I find that I’ve done worse than I had anticipated and looking around I seem to have a below average score compared to everyone else these people claim to have done little revision and still do better than me. After spending almost 100 hours revising collectively I begin to wonder where I went wrong and apart from try harder and speak to the teachers and find the best revision method what is the best course of action to take? And how do these people manage to do so well with seemingly little effort?
pegaspalace
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sounds like you need breaks even machine need cooling down people they probably do better then you cause they less stressed
ayyyy.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You say that they 'claim to do little revision' but I think that is a lie, whoever said that probably did do revision but they want to come across as the type of 'don't do revision but get good grades' don't worry about them but focus on yourself. Maybe your revision techniques?
mfreeman224
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When/if you gets your tests back, look through them to see what topics specifically you lost marks on or scored the worst on; make lists of things you struggled in, and sort them in red-amber-green, or bad-okay-good. Effective and productive revision is worth a lot more than the amount of hours you put in; an hour of learning flashcards with a friend/family member is a much better use of time than three hours passively reading a revision guide. Don't listen to people who say they haven't revised - they have. Don't compare yourself to other people - someone's 7 or 8 despite little to no work means a lot less that a 4 or 5 earned through hard work and revision, and vice versa. Everyone has different strength and weaknesses, and some people are more or less academic - as long as you know you've done your very best, you shouldn't be made to feel disappointed with your results. Do pasts papers, talk to teachers, talk to friends in the year above, get a tutor if you can or ask someone older (at my school we have 6th form mentors) to help you in subjects you struggle with. Constant practice, especially in subjects like science and maths, is the best way to improve.

And remember that you're only in Year 10! It's great you've put this much effort into revision now, it will set you up nicely for Year 11. You still have a whole year to work on things and make improvements!
LarissaAlves
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=LOliver111102;77759688] apart from try harder and speak to the teachers and find the best revision method what is the best course of action to take?

I think these are exactly the things you should do.
To spend 10 hours reading notes is less effective than spending 2 with practice questions.
Have a look at these blogs, they explain nicely the best ways to revise:

https://www.kent-teach.com/Blog/post...-learning.aspx
http://www.learningscientists.org/bl...y=For+Students
https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (43)
32.58%
No (68)
51.52%
Don't know (21)
15.91%

Watched Threads