Should I bother applying to Cambridge? Watch

anon56431
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In GCSE I got AAAAAAAAA at a relatively poor performing school and was part of the first year group to sit GCSE’s. I’m worried about my lack of A*’s.

At A level I’m predicted A*A*A with an A in EPQ achieved.
Honestly, do you guys think I stand a decent chance at applying to Cambridge and maybe getting in? What about LSE?

I’ve seen their websites but I want to know peoples opinions...
username3859374
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no reason why not to really

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ This shows your chances
rigz70
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no harm in trying, considering you get 5 UCAS choices so even if you don't get an offer you have 4 others to fall back on. Your grades are excellent, but I'm pretty sure it's the entrance exams and interviews that will really dictate whether you get an offer.
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely. You have a great chance. Just be more confident and you'll get an offer
D.SHA64
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes
Stephan0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by libertykamp)
There's no reason why not to really

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ This sho*w*s your chances
fixed it
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anon56431)
In GCSE I got AAAAAAAAA at a relatively poor performing school and was part of the first year group to sit GCSE’s. I’m worried about my lack of A*’s.

Honestly, do you guys think I stand a decent chance at applying to Cambridge and maybe getting in? What about LSE?

For which course?

Your GCSEs aren't very important but if they are strong within the context of your school then that's "a good thing".

The guaranteed was to not getting an offer is by not applying - it's one choice of your 5, there's nothing to lose.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anon56431)

Hi, Adviser Rosy here from the National Careers Service.

It’s great that you are considering which universities to apply to so carefully.

The most accurate answer to this question would depend upon the course that you choose at Cambridge University as the entry requirements would differ slightly for each subject. Speaking generally however your predicted A Level grades reflect a typical Cambridge University offer and in general they do not tend to use your GCSE results as an entry requirement.

What Cambridge do use GCSE results for is as an indicator of your performance compared to the context of the performance level of your school. With this in mind your GCSE’s could actually be a strength in your application.

Just to clarify we can’t offer any opinions and unfortunately there are no guarantees but you could try contacting the admissions team for the course/college you are interested in, to request more information about how GCSE results are used in your application. You could also contact one of our experienced advisers for more information about how to structure a strong personal statement and interview technique as this would be another consideration in your application.

Our advisers are available 8am to 10pm every day and can be contacted by phone on 0800 100 900 or you can email, web chat or arrange a call back at our website https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

If you are worried about what to do if your exam results are not what you hoped for, the Exam Results Helpline, delivered by the National Careers Service, will be available in August to provide additional support to students (and their parents) as they receive their exam results.

The helpline will be available from A level results day on 16th August using the same number.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Rosy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed