The Student Room Group

NaOH + H2SO4

Why does it give
NaOH + H2SO4 = Na2SO4 +2H2O -- when balanced...

and not

NaOH + H2SO4 = NaHSO4 and H2O? - - - - does this not make more sense and no need for balancing?

Is it because the H2SO4 is a strong dibasic acid and will fully dissociate...ie. 2H+ and SO4 2-? and thus, not H+ and HSO4- ?
Original post by revisionlad
Why does it give

and not

NaOH + H2SO4 = NaHSO4 and H2O? - - - - does this not make more sense and no need for balancing?

Is it because the H2SO4 is a strong dibasic acid and will fully dissociate...ie. 2H+ and SO4 2-? and thus, not H+ and HSO4- ?

because it's an acid + alkali, which is neutralization and gives out water and salt (no clue what the other one is)

the one you've said gives us alkali, which is wrong.

You're saying that alkali + acid --> alkali + water. This is not neutralization.
Original post by RickHendricks
because it's an acid + alkali, which is neutralization and gives out water and salt (no clue what the other one is)

the one you've said gives us alkali, which is wrong.

You're saying that alkali + acid --> alkali + water. This is not neutralization.

Thanks for the reply,

Which one is alkali?
The first one is a neutralisation reaction because it gives sodium sulfate (neutral salt)

But the second one gives Sodium hydrogen sulfate, which I think is an acidic salt when dissolved in water - - HSO4- + H2O = H3O+ & SO4 2-
Thanks for the reply,

Which one is alkali?
The first one is a neutralisation reaction because it gives sodium sulfate (neutral salt)

But the second one gives Sodium hydrogen sulfate, which I think is an acidic salt when dissolved in water - - HSO4- + H2O = H3O+ & SO4 2-

but not when it comes in this reaction.

In this reaction it's just a base.
Original post by RickHendricks
but not when it comes in this reaction.

In this reaction it's just a base.

sorry, but can you clarify what is the base you are inferring to?

thanks.
Reply 5
Why does it give

and not

Yes, you're right, H2SO4 is a strong acid and therefore it fully dissociates. If it were a weak diprotic/dibasic acid, such as ethanedioic acid (COOH-COOH), with a strong base such as NaOH, you would firstly get COOH-COO-Na+ + H2O. Then, if you added more NaOH, you would get COO-Na+-COO-Na+ + H2O. This is because ethanedioic acid does not fully dissociate.

Reaction 1: COOH-COOH + NaOH ==> COOH-COO-Na+ + H2O
Reaction 2: COOH-COO-Na+ + NaOH ==> COO-Na+-COO-Na+ + H2O.
Original post by Jpw1097
Yes, you're right, H2SO4 is a strong acid and therefore it fully dissociates. If it were a weak diprotic/dibasic acid, such as ethanedioic acid (COOH-COOH), with a strong base such as NaOH, you would firstly get COOH-COO-Na+ + H2O. Then, if you added more NaOH, you would get COO-Na+-COO-Na+ + H2O. This is because ethanedioic acid does not fully dissociate.

Reaction 1: COOH-COOH + NaOH ==> COOH-COO-Na+ + H2O
Reaction 2: COOH-COO-Na+ + NaOH ==> COO-Na+-COO-Na+ + H2O.

Hi! That makes a lot more sense! Thank you so much.

Also, would you mind answering another q I posted earlier about equilirium...ill post it here too..

"I was wondering what the difference is between the Position of Equilibrium and the Equilibrium constant (Kc) is.

For example, I understand that Kc value is only influenced by temperature, but then what does this signify? Because if I increase the temperature of an endothermic (forward) reaction, Kc would increase, but also the posiition of Equilirbium will shift to the right (in the endothermic direction) hence I obtain more yield of products - Le Chatlier's principle right?

But, did i obtain more product yield because my Kc value increased or because of position of Equilibrium shifting to the right (Le Chat)? -- so far I believe it's because of Le Chats principle, but then what influence does Kc have, if any?"

Thanks again!
Why does it give
2NaOH + H2SO4 = Na2SO4 +2H2O -- when balanced...

and not

Both of these reactions are correct.

The extent of the reaction just depends on the moles of sodium hydroxide added.

equal moles of sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid
NaOH + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 and H2O

excess moles of sodium hydroxide
2NaOH + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 +2H2O

The dissociation of the acid is not a factor.

In any case, only the first dissociation is 100%, the second is less than 10%.

Quick Reply

Latest