English literature response Watch

meg ramsay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
A practise question what would you say I should improve and grade:

How is Macbeth shown as a tormented character?

In the play ‘Macbeth’, William Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a tormented character initially through his involvement with the supernatural and later within himself as a result of his guilt.

In Act 3, Macbeth torment is shown through his state of mind. Macbeth addresses Lady Macbeth telling her his mind is “full of scorpions”, suggesting that his thoughts are crowded and causing him pain.
Equally, he is concerned that he is insecure in his position – “we have scorched the snake, not killed it”, highlighting his battle of fear of his enemies, he is so tormented through this temporary situation and will only be released from this battle if all his enemies are killed, illustrating the constant agony of his thoughts.Allowing, stronger characters such as lady Macbeth and the witches to manipulate him “cat “a’dage cat” further weakening him.This ultimately causes Macbeth great turmoil.
Alternatively, at the end of the play Macbeth is troubled by inner torment, in contrast to the beginning where manipulation is exerted onto him leading to his torment.Shakespeare demonstrates this in Act 2 Scene 1 with regards of his feeling to fulfill regicide “is this a dagger I see before me” this hallucination shows his mind is playing tricks on him he is unable to think straight.This is reinforced in the Act 3,scene 2 when Macbeth will (“eat his meal in fear and sleep in the affliction of these terrible dream”) echoing his bad state of mind is enabling him not to be able to complete simple tasks, which is a contrast from the beginning of the play being called “noble Macbeth” as a above average warrior in war, conveying his inner torment has come out.The audience, would see this as his inability to deal with guilt.
Moreover, Macbeth’s involvement with the witches, throughout the play, illustrates his torment by trusting the supernatural, who are notoriously known in the Jacobean era for being the epitome of evil and not to be trusted. In Act 1, Macbeth is presented as a “brave” warrior, a hero who fights valiantly on the battlefield.Yet the association between Macbeth and the witches shows the different side of the character.How he listens to the witches prophecies,”stay you imperfect speakers tell me more” he confirm their abnormality ”imperfect” however, neglects it and continues to speak, implying his torment, as in the Jacobean era it was ill natured to confine with witches.If he was caught conspiring he would of be burnt with the witches as a traitor. Evoking the audience to see his tormentation, by going against the quotas flow and his incapability of making rational decisions, which could get him in severe danger. Moreover, the witches are the catalyst to Macbeth committing regicide and alternately his torment from guilt. Shakespeare, progresses Macbeth’s torment from the witches as stronger characters pressing into Macbeth a weak, feeble character to his solitary torment within. In act 5, scene 3 Macbeth repeats the third apparition ”until Great Wood to Hugh Dunsinane Hill” and demands to ”bring no more reports” evoking his confidence to modern audience, however foolishness to the Jacobean era, who see witches as liars and manipulators; they can highlight his tormented state because he is relying on the deceitful witches to tell the truth and is “giving no orders” due to him being content in them telling the truth, ironic because of their reputation.

In conclusion, Macbeth state of mind, his inner and provoked troubles and his participation with the witches all illustrate his torment throughout the play. This torment is seen to progress throughout the play, showing the audience how the more harsher his actions,the harsher the consequences.This is Shakespeare echoing his message that bad morals only results in torment and pain.
bethallen36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by meg ramsay)
A practise question what would you say I should improve and grade:

How is Macbeth shown as a tormented character?

In the play ‘Macbeth’, William Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a tormented character initially through his involvement with the supernatural and later within himself as a result of his guilt.

In Act 3, Macbeth torment is shown through his state of mind. Macbeth addresses Lady Macbeth telling her his mind is “full of scorpions”, suggesting that his thoughts are crowded and causing him pain.
Equally, he is concerned that he is insecure in his position – “we have scorched the snake, not killed it”, highlighting his battle of fear of his enemies, he is so tormented through this temporary situation and will only be released from this battle if all his enemies are killed, illustrating the constant agony of his thoughts.Allowing, stronger characters such as lady Macbeth and the witches to manipulate him “cat “a’dage cat” further weakening him.This ultimately causes Macbeth great turmoil.
Alternatively, at the end of the play Macbeth is troubled by inner torment, in contrast to the beginning where manipulation is exerted onto him leading to his torment.Shakespeare demonstrates this in Act 2 Scene 1 with regards of his feeling to fulfill regicide “is this a dagger I see before me” this hallucination shows his mind is playing tricks on him he is unable to think straight.This is reinforced in the Act 3,scene 2 when Macbeth will (“eat his meal in fear and sleep in the affliction of these terrible dream”) echoing his bad state of mind is enabling him not to be able to complete simple tasks, which is a contrast from the beginning of the play being called “noble Macbeth” as a above average warrior in war, conveying his inner torment has come out.The audience, would see this as his inability to deal with guilt.
Moreover, Macbeth’s involvement with the witches, throughout the play, illustrates his torment by trusting the supernatural, who are notoriously known in the Jacobean era for being the epitome of evil and not to be trusted. In Act 1, Macbeth is presented as a “brave” warrior, a hero who fights valiantly on the battlefield.Yet the association between Macbeth and the witches shows the different side of the character.How he listens to the witches prophecies,”stay you imperfect speakers tell me more” he confirm their abnormality ”imperfect” however, neglects it and continues to speak, implying his torment, as in the Jacobean era it was ill natured to confine with witches.If he was caught conspiring he would of be burnt with the witches as a traitor. Evoking the audience to see his tormentation, by going against the quotas flow and his incapability of making rational decisions, which could get him in severe danger. Moreover, the witches are the catalyst to Macbeth committing regicide and alternately his torment from guilt. Shakespeare, progresses Macbeth’s torment from the witches as stronger characters pressing into Macbeth a weak, feeble character to his solitary torment within. In act 5, scene 3 Macbeth repeats the third apparition ”until Great Wood to Hugh Dunsinane Hill” and demands to ”bring no more reports” evoking his confidence to modern audience, however foolishness to the Jacobean era, who see witches as liars and manipulators; they can highlight his tormented state because he is relying on the deceitful witches to tell the truth and is “giving no orders” due to him being content in them telling the truth, ironic because of their reputation.

In conclusion, Macbeth state of mind, his inner and provoked troubles and his participation with the witches all illustrate his torment throughout the play. This torment is seen to progress throughout the play, showing the audience how the more harsher his actions,the harsher the consequences.This is Shakespeare echoing his message that bad morals only results in torment and pain.
=> I would say that when introducing the quote highlight the story around the quote and when in the book it happened to let the examiner know that you know the context behind the quote
=> Also tried to include a couple of quotes that have techniques in even if its just a rule of three, uses imagery, or alliteration because then you are able to pick up more marks for A02 which could really boost your grade
=> One other thing is rather than just explaining what the quote is saying and rephrasing the quote. Say what could it suggest or foreshadow and then go into analysis about singular words to make sure you are zooming into the words BUT make sure you use the appropriate terminology
=> Lastly what could the quote be implying about Shakespeare's purpose or intentions and could it relate to the Jacobean society

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow - all the above is what my teachers have been saying about how to make sure you have a high quality essay so I just thought I would give you the advice they have shared
lowrna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Although tormented, Macbeth was not completely to blame for his actions as Lady Macbeth is the cause of his torment.
meg ramsay
Rep:
?
(Original post by bethallen36)
=> I would say that when introducing the quote highlight the story around the quote and when in the book it happened to let the examiner know that you know the context behind the quote
=> Also tried to include a couple of quotes that have techniques in even if its just a rule of three, uses imagery, or alliteration because then you are able to pick up more marks for A02 which could really boost your grade
=> One other thing is rather than just explaining what the quote is saying and rephrasing the quote. Say what could it suggest or foreshadow and then go into analysis about singular words to make sure you are zooming into the words BUT make sure you use the appropriate terminology
=> Lastly what could the quote be implying about Shakespeare's purpose or intentions and could it relate to the Jacobean society

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow - all the above is what my teachers have been saying about how to make sure you have a high quality essay so I just thought I would give you the advice they have shared
thank you
meg ramsay
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowrna)
Although tormented, Macbeth was not completely to blame for his actions as Lady Macbeth is the cause of his torment.
ok x
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads