The Student Room Group

Placement Year

Is anyone else going to be starting a placement year later this year, or if you're just coming out of one.

How was it?
I'm starting this year
Reply 2
Original post by Lukeypukey
I'm starting this year

Oh nice, will it be in the same city as your uni or are you going elsewhere?
My housemate did one at the Uni she was studying at and loved it :biggrin:
Original post by Dinasaurus
Is anyone else going to be starting a placement year later this year, or if you're just coming out of one.

How was it?

I did one a couple years ago and I’m studying pharmaceutical and cosmetic science. My placement was in a cosmetic laboratory.

Feel free to quote or PM me if there’s anything I can answer!
Reply 5
Original post by carrotstar
I did one a couple years ago and I’m studying pharmaceutical and cosmetic science. My placement was in a cosmetic laboratory.

Feel free to quote or PM me if there’s anything I can answer!

Did you have a social life, like what work colleagues or new people or were you more focused on work or just seeing your old friends?
Did you have a social life, like what work colleagues or new people or were you more focused on work or just seeing your old friends?

I actually only saw colleagues twice outside work! Assuming you have weekends free you have as much spare time as the rest of the working population. This worked in my favour because my closest friends at university also had 9-5 placements, and my friends from school had gone straight into jobs from school so I saw them at the weekends as well.

I didn’t do anything social on work nights. You will find that working will tire you out, even more so if you have to travel some distance to get there and back.

However it really makes you admire the people in your life who work full-time because you finally understand what they’re so stressed about!

I did have a lovely placement though. They wanted to have me back but unfortunately I’m relocating after I graduate to live with my boyfriend.
Reply 7
Original post by carrotstar
I actually only saw colleagues twice outside work! Assuming you have weekends free you have as much spare time as the rest of the working population. This worked in my favour because my closest friends at university also had 9-5 placements, and my friends from school had gone straight into jobs from school so I saw them at the weekends as well.

I didn’t do anything social on work nights. You will find that working will tire you out, even more so if you have to travel some distance to get there and back.

However it really makes you admire the people in your life who work full-time because you finally understand what they’re so stressed about!

I did have a lovely placement though. They wanted to have me back but unfortunately I’m relocating after I graduate to live with my boyfriend.

Oh, yeah I can see how it could be quite tiring. So I'm guessing you did your placement in the same place as your university then?
Oh, yeah I can see how it could be quite tiring. So I'm guessing you did your placement in the same place as your university then?

No, about an hour away. I moved back with my parents for the year as university was close to home anyway.

How was it?

I'm a third year Business Management and Marketing student on a marketing placement :smile:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout!

Chris
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
I'm a third year Business Management and Marketing student on a marketing placement :smile:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout!

Chris

Hi it's a regional or global company?
Is there a chance you'll get a job offer at the end?
Do you get paid/is it good?
Did you find company yourself, or was that facilitated by Nottingham Uni?
Original post by adamantacademic
Hi it's a regional or global company?
Is there a chance you'll get a job offer at the end?
Do you get paid/is it good?
Did you find company yourself, or was that facilitated by Nottingham Uni?

Hello @adamantacademic :hello:

1) I work for my university - Nottingham Trent University!

2) The university is one that is keen on having fresh ideas each year, so offers the job as a placement opportunity for 12 months.

3) It is a paid placement, and the pay is on average with what most placement students can expect (between 13 & 20k)

4) The university has an employability team who are really helpful in supporting the search for placement opportunities - they have a database full of companies that are looking for placement students and update this regularly. They also help in perfecting CV's & cover letters plus putting on sessions about assessment centres etc.

Hope that is helpful! Don't hesitate to PM if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hello @adamantacademic :hello:

1) I work for my university - Nottingham Trent University!

2) The university is one that is keen on having fresh ideas each year, so offers the job as a placement opportunity for 12 months.

3) It is a paid placement, and the pay is on average with what most placement students can expect (between 13 & 20k)

4) The university has an employability team who are really helpful in supporting the search for placement opportunities - they have a database full of companies that are looking for placement students and update this regularly. They also help in perfecting CV's & cover letters plus putting on sessions about assessment centres etc.

Hope that is helpful! Don't hesitate to PM if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris

What do you think about the recent racism scandal, and are you friends with the student?
So lucky how everyone has paid stuff, most of the things in my field are unpaid.
Original post by adamantacademic
What do you think about the recent racism scandal, and are you friends with the student?

NTU made a statement at the time of the incident, that can be read here.

The student is a first year so I did not know her.

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest